Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my students suddenly got a dream job and packed up and moved in 2 weeks flat. They went through a major downsizing and were kind enough to gift me their extra halloween items. And as grateful as I am I don't really know what to do with these.

Here are 9 small Spirit store tombstones. The ones I have in my graveyard are full sized, monstermudded, handcarved, with nice big heavy wooden bases. If I put these out there they will look out of place.

So I want to craft something completely different out of them. But I have no idea what. All I can think of is to make 2 columns as the entrance to the graveyard and use two of these as plaques on the columns. Other than that I am clueless. Any ideas?

IMG_6391.jpg

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have the same problem. i've got a whole box full of these little guys from a few years back. Now that i moved up to life size props i don't use them anymore. i was going to use a set for the pillars i made a couple years ago but scraped it. Maybe some kind of wall decoration or on a stone tomb or something along those lines. I was also thinking about adding one to a bigger base grave stone and building around it. In fact i might pull these out of storage and see if i can do something with em this year.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have at least 3 of the some ones. I've taken these and added more foam to the back to make them thicker and so that I can stake them into the ground. Then I repainted them to match my bigger tombstones and use them to fill in the background. I mean like 15-20ft. from the sidewalk so they don't really stand out, but give the feeling on lots more tombstones.

you could put the cross one on top of an overturned styrofoam cooler to make it taller.

·
The Haunting Girl
878 Posts

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
581 Posts
I moved up to full size stones for my major props, but I still use the little ones as "screening" they are great to hide lighting, speakers, fog machines and other items behind. I glued a post to the back of them so I can hammer them into the ground and they stay there. You can see them here in the front row of my Graveyard. They hold up and hide all the lighting I use. At night they practically disappear.

IMG_20161014_113245 (300x225).jpg

After Dark:
IMG_20161015_191123 (300x225).jpg

·
The Haunting Girl
878 Posts
I moved up to full size stones for my major props, but I still use the little ones as "screening" they are great to hide lighting, speakers, fog machines and other items behind. I glued a post to the back of them so I can hammer them into the ground and they stay there. You can see them here in the front row of my Graveyard. They hold up and hide all the lighting I use. At night they practically disappear.

View attachment 467937

After Dark:
View attachment 467945
That's awesome! I'll have to keep that in mind going forward. I've been meaning to improve my lighting, but I never have a good way of hiding it during the day. This is a great idea.

·
The Minister of Macabre
953 Posts
I have seen others use those as detailing for larger props. For example, one used them on a Mausoleum then coated it with monster mud along with the rest of it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, my first thought too was "just make larger tombstones with them". But I wondered if anyone uses them for something else... something... unexpected.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes, my first thought too was "just make larger tombstones with them". But I wondered if anyone uses them for something else... something... unexpected.
If you really want to go outside of the box, you could use 2 of the more traditional ones as ends to a pirate's chest. Then use smaller ones (cut up) as slats that go around the ends. (Or turn it into a monster in a box)

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can also use them as foot stones, very common in older cemeteries, or children's headstones. They were very often smaller than adult stones back in the day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts