Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again we are getting a late start for our haunt. We do a one night setup at a campground. Our past displays have included a 30 foot pirate ship, a crashed UFO and area 51 complete with a 20 foot diameter UFO, among others. We go all out and make it big!
This year our theme will be a hillbilly cabin. So far what we have for ideas is just the cabin. We are going to make a false front of an old hillbilly cabin. Inside the front door I am planning a living room with a wake for a recently deceased family member. Another room will be a bedroom, maybe a childs room. Then a kitchen with a hillbilly meatlocker look. Out of the back door we will have a witch or a couple of hillbillies around a still.
Any ideas on what to add?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and out front on the wooden porch we will include granny in a rocking chair. Sound is always a big hit with our stuff, so we will have to have banjo music playing in the background.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is this a walk through or a just display purposes? A child's room with a little girl playing with some mutilated toys to some lullaby music would be a creepy touch

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will be a walkthrough. We use a 20 x 60 tent, inside will be split into rooms.
A few years ago we used a little girl in a white dress covered in blood playing with some old dolls. The kind of old dolls that had hair falling out and the outer finish was falling off some of the dolls. That might be a good one to bring back into play!
We buy very little commercial decorations for our Halloween, everything is made from stuff found in dumpsters or at Goodwill.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That I believe is the best way to decorate, a more genuine feel is given. I could give more advice, I just need to know where you stand on the scale of child entertainment or morbidly terrifying people

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
And an extra added bonus, some of those Goodwill items might come "Haunted!" (No extra charge!) Or you could actually write your script that way?
"We got this box of stuff from Goodwill but we can't use it now because it's Haunted!"
Then as they walk passed the box......a voice, some movement from down deep within that box happens.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I prefer to terrify people, and go outside of the boundries a little. BUT those that help me with our display prefer to have things toned down slightly.
We usually find some middle ground, between the dead child in a coffin and the great pumpkin dancing around. Usually we keep things hard on the frightening side for the adults. If any children want to walk through, we hold things up and turn on the lights. We spend time showing the little kids what everything does, then go back to scaring everyone else.
My goal is to leave the visitors shaking when they leave.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I think hillbillies, I think of the hills have eyes movies. You could have the cabin dressed in vintage clothes, decoration (probably all in the section of goodwill no one wants) and have the cabin as a safe zone that was destroyed by a nuclear blast. Play like a happy 1950s song and keep the house light in the beginning and slowly morph it into a bad experience: mutilated body parts deformed actor makeup with then popping out and chasing guests, etc. Old women rocking back and forth humming happily with a dead animal prop back and forth always makes for a creepy atmosphere

·
Registered
551 Posts
Outhouses are creepy...last year I went to a haunted house in Janesville that squirted vegetable oil at us out of a filthy toilet in a locker room. You could use that but have it come from the hill billy outhouse! lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
With a hill billy theme I think of animals what about some skeleton pets or a bunch of snakes that fall down on people or strung up so they'd have to pass through them. Or maybe that snake that pops out at you from Spirit.
That theme sounds like it would be terrifying when done outside while camping!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts