Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone think of anything I can do with an old dresser mirror? The mirror is broken and half of it is missing so I need to take it out. I want to do something with it for a Halloween decoration but I can't think of anything.

Typical Ghoul Next Door
This is just me, but if I had an already broken mirror, I'd put it flat, break it a little more (carefully by leaning on it/putting weight on it) so there is lots of spiderweb cracks and shards, then set it with something - I don't know what off the top of my head - glue/sealant that would hold all of the shards in place.

A cracked mirror almost always creeps people out due to the long-standing superstition about it being bad luck.

I'll be watching to see what the other posters come up with! :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
see I would do that but only a small piece of the mirror is left in the top corner. I don't know where the rest of the mirror went!

Typical Ghoul Next Door
ohhhh... so it's the mirror frame that you want to work with? Hmmmm.
(too bad about the mirror gone, tho :( )

I could see using the mirror film on some plexi or regular glass and making a pepper's ghost for a dresser mirror... that would be really cool with an actual piece of furniture!

Like this, but for your dresser mirror frame... wouldn't have to be the girl from the movie - any creepy image would do!
The Mirror

sasquatch
It would be cool to create a peppers ghost image using a piece of furnature! It would be so creepy. Like Frankie's Girl said, use plexie glass.

Girl Gone Mad
Or maybe find a picture, decorate the frame with skulls or something, and it will be a big creepy picture frame. Dull I know compare to what everyone else has come up with

Registered
Try spray-gluing (3M Super 77) aluminum foil shiny-side up to the back support of your frame. Work in large sheets, tearing/fraying the edges as you work. You can also use triangular pieces radiating out from one point- giving it the impression of a spiderweb crack. Think of it as "the poor man's" silver leafing material. You can then spray desired areas with black/chrome spray paint to age the mirror to your desired effect. If you can, work without the frame and then re-assemble when it' dry and set. Try not to get glue on the foil's surface, as it will (oddly) not take paint well.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, they were great! Now to see if I can actually do one of them since I'm not completely talented with things like this haha.

Registered
ok i know this is going to sound really messed up but i would buy a cheap mirror and some baby dolls break it and and glue some of it on the place it should be and the other bits i would glue on the baby dolls eyes all red dragon like they are watching you! omg i am so doing that in my bathroom now, my idea i tell you!

Girl Gone Mad
Anything coming along? got any pics yet? would love to know what you did with the mirror.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Anything coming along? got any pics yet? would love to know what you did with the mirror.
I never got around to anything:( I have been so busy and haven't had time for anything at all or the extra money. I still have a few days maybe I can pull something off;)

Registered
I saw an idea for a mirror on hgtv last night. You spray the mirror with spray adhesive, then dust it with baby powder with a brush. Then you cna use yoru finger to write scary messages and if you apply glue remover(maybe goo gone?)to your hand you can leave handprints on it.

Mostly Harmless
Since you don't have very much time left... leave the mirror as it is (just for now) and buy bags of bloody, broken prop glass. Big lots is selling it for Halloween, and you can find it at some Halloween stores and magic shops.

Hang up the mirror or lean the mirror against a wall. Place the prop glass in front of the mirror. Place bloody footprint clings, or bloody handprint clings around the mirror. And/ or place bloody towels or bandages around the mirror.

Create a scene and leave it up to people's imaginations to determine what happened.

Registered
I saw Martha Stewart do glow eyes with glass and foil using glue and glitter. I am sure you could just use the glue and glitter and get the same effect. It should be a relatively quick project also. Just a suggestion.

mirror-glow-eyes

1 - 20 of 33 Posts