Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

so i am working on plans this years for my cemetery and i remember how frustrating it was last year since i have a street light directly in front of my house that lights everything up. It washes out my spot lights and my projector every year, and is a general mood killer.

I was wondering if any one had any ideas on directing the light or using it to their advantage?

I was thinking of possibly making a paper mache pumpkin centennial that i can slip over the light and direct it away from the house but yet still give out light in a better way.

thanks for any help

·
Hungry For Death
729 Posts
Well first off, Double check with your local law enforcement to see if its even legal to redirect the street light. I have a feeling it is not but *Shrugs* maybe you can get away with it.

And 2. I like the idea of the pumpkin. Or possibly have a body posed as if it is hanging on for dear life.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm worried to touch the streetlight in front of my house, but it's an old fashioned one. It would be easy to fashion a wire frame, cover it with colored cellophane, and hang it on the side of the light facing my house. Failing that, I've thought of black balloons in front of it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I gotta agree with pyro on this one. Even in the community I live in, the streets, sidewalks, and street lights are city owned. Tampering with or obstructing them in any way in a punishable offense. Would be a mood killer to get a potentially heavy fine.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,065 Posts
We have the same issue behind our house as we back onto a green space; Hubby is toying with the idea of placing a bag over it. Like you guys I don't think that is a good idea either, I suggested some kind of tall bluff on our fence to block the nuisance light??

·
Registered
139 Posts
ok guys - you didn't hear this from me as it is illegal to take out a street lamp as some have already said (i assume the laws are similar in the US as here in the UK)

i used to work for an electrical contractor.....

in the uk all street lamps have a fuse behind a small panel for maintenance purposes. you need a triangle socket spanner (available from all good retailers) and you can just pull the fuse for a few hours.

in the uk all street lamps have dawn to dusk sensors so a small light shining onto that will not allow the lamp to turn on. (i have heard a laser will do this, but i cannot get high enough to try)

as suggested above, several dark coloured balloons around the light would do the trick, or any other type of screen that you could erect.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input folks. I checked with some people in the know. and yes they are all city owned and punishable if tempered with (although i don't think putting something over is "tampering"). However he made a good point that it does open one up for liability. If someone is mugged or someone trips and they blame it on the lack of light it may be bad for me.

so i guess i will have to try some thing else. The lights in my neighborhood are on timers and not light sensors so that would eliminate that idea.

any other ideas?

·
Registered
44 Posts
We have the exact same problem! I was so excited to use my new projector and AtmosphereX DVDs last year and it about sucked b/c of the street lamp. What a let down :( What I was thinkig of doing this year was this: creating some sort of tunnel, area, etc... that is enclosed with black plastic tarp. That way, it would be dark enough for my projections and/or whatever prop I would want to shield from the light.

It's either that or shoot out the light with a BB gun which would result in my inevitable arrest b/c THREE of my neighbors are police officers. haha

·
Registered
216 Posts
call the power company and tell them the your having trouble sleeping because of the light--they will come and black out part of the shade the house.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
One possibility is to call your city/town hall, explain the situation, and see if they may be willing to turn that particular streetlight off for 3 hours or so on Halloween night. You local officials may say no, but I know some other members here have had that happen for them in the past.

Barring that, here's an awesome tutorial on Halloween lighting, which also addresses streetlight issues:

http://robertdbrown.com/2014/01/26/skullandbone-com-haunt-lighting-tutorial/

·
Registered
648 Posts
diggerc
I actually tried that idea with the laser pointer. It works but it is very tedious to keep the pointer directed at the sensor. Would need to mount it VERY stationary somewhere. But still a good idea. I wouldn't consider that tampering with anything either. Less likely to get you in trouble than trying to cover it up with something.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sometimes I have seen towns put in like metal shades in that block it going directly into a house and it deflects the light more straight down towns the street.

·
Registered
127 Posts
A small laser pointer on a tripod has worked for most situations we've encountered where the optical sensors are on higher dome tops.
Most novelty pen pointers wont work at all, usually you have to use a decent pen pointer or one that is of the following depending on the color of the laser you have
Wavelength: 405nm 532nm 650nm
Power: 75mW 15mW 100mW
Beam Divergence: <0.5 mRad <1.2 mRad <0.5 mRad
Beam Diameter: <4.0 mm <2.5 mm <4.0 mm
Any of the three laser power frames will knock out a street light for about a hour, use the tripod to keep from having to find the sweet spot or put someone in charge of keeping the light off.
Doing it with a laser keeps any type of suits from being on your hands unless something happens and someone just by chance recorded you knocking out the light.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Also, keep in mind that shining a laser up towards a plane or helicopter is considered interfering with theoperation of an aircraft, punishable up to 20 years in prison and a $250000.00 fine. Even if unintentional. So be very, very careful pointing a laser in the sky.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts