Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,I built a pneumatic gismo and hooked up a IR sensor from a HD motion light but it test mode it just keeps firing over and over.The sensitivity control just makes it vary the delay time,if I move it to the one minute spot it fires and stays there for a minute then releases back and ready to fire all over again.Thats not the control I was looking for,any ideas on how to control it so it fires quick,stays for a second or two then resets for the next victim?Its my first attempt at pneumatics and controls so be kind all you experts.lol

·
Registered
629 Posts
Do you know anything about relays??
If yes, then I suggest you invest in delay on delay off relays, these allow you to adjust the time the relays stay on and the time before they'll re-fire, add these to your IR sensor, and you've got instant control without the continuous refires that the test mode would be giving you. I found mine on ebay last year, 4 for $10 and free shipping.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,448 Posts
Have you got any pictures or diagrams of how it is assembled and wired ?

·
Registered
629 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if i use the Macromatic one it runs off of 24vac,i need a transformer to step down the 110v voltage the pneumatic switch runs off of to run the relay,correct.

·
Registered
629 Posts
if i use the Macromatic one it runs off of 24vac,i need a transformer to step down the 110v voltage the pneumatic switch runs off of to run the relay,correct.
Yes, either that or a 24v dc power supply

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
So what you're looking to do is to get a ~2 second "on" time, then shut down for a period of n seconds (during which it can't be re-triggered) and then be ready to fire again, correct? The timer relay that you linked to will keep firing the prop regardless of whether you want it to or not, TOT or no TOT unless you have some way to cut the power to the relay. That's where your PIR comes in. Unfortunately, your sensor doesn't have an "off" time interval - the test mode will fire when it detects a heat source.

So, how's your soldering skills? Here's a PIR sensor for cheap:
Quorum A-160 Passive Infrared Detector-The Electronic Goldmine
I have an easy how-to that will let you change the "off" time intervals to something more useful than 15 secs or 15 mins (the factory pre-sets) such as 30 secs or 60 secs. You can also install a switch that will let you toggle between the two "off" times. I have used these PIRs for a few years and am very happy with the performance. The preset "on" time is 2 secs, but you can make a simple timer (instructions come with the PIR) to extend that time. Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a Macromatic timer off e-bay like the one previously mentioned above,Ill have to figure out how to wire it into my setup.I have excellent soldering skills,back in the 70s I worked in my Xs TV shop.Still brain dead on electronics though.

·
Banned
85 Posts
MICKELL , you can use the spotlight sensor ( aka - motion detector ) you already have with just a slight modification to the timer section .
If , what you're after is this:

Have the prop set ... a TOT comes by , triggers the prop , the prop stays triggered for a few seconds , then resets it self back to standby state - ready again for another TOT to come strolling by .
Now , if thats what youre wanting to do ... you do NOT need any additional devices . You have the sensor/trigger board from the outside spotlight , like the one in the picture below , correct ?
If yes , then , again , all you need to do is alter the timer on it . :cool:

2 New Motion Detector Security Floodlight MS35 Bronze - eBay (item 380133328548 end time Jun-30-09 11:52:07 PDT)

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
MICKELL , you can use the spotlight sensor ( aka - motion detector ) you already have with just a slight modification to the timer section .
If , what you're after is this:

Have the prop set ... a TOT comes by , triggers the prop , the prop stays triggered for a few seconds , then resets it self back to standby state - ready again for another TOT to come strolling by .
Now , if thats what youre wanting to do ... you do NOT need any additional devices . You have the sensor/trigger board from the outside spotlight , like the one in the picture below , correct ?
If yes , then , again , all you need to do is alter the timer on it .
I'd be interested in the hack if you have it, BoogieMan. Following the trigger and reset is there a time period where the sensor can't be re-triggered? Or will it continue triggering the prop repeatedly if the TOT just stands in front of the sensor? Thanks!

·
Banned
85 Posts
The trigger will will kick off whenever there is movement . But , the idea is that the TOT gets the crapola scared out of him/her , so that there is no still standing there TOT'er . ( LOL )
So , yes , if the TOT'er decides to get glue on his/her feet , then yep , the trigger will reset and go off again till there is no more movment .
Which ... could be a good thing , if the timing is appropriate ( :D )
If the TOT'er gets so scared , they freeze in their tracks untill the prop is done doing its thing , and then the TOT'er starts to run , or walk away ... WHAMO - the prop gets triggered again :eek: LOL

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I was thinking more of the TOT who stands there watching the prop go off over and over just for the heck of it. Kind of like the kid who finds the mat switch and stands on it for five minutes. That's where that Quorum PIR helps - it has a delay-after-on that prevents re-triggers until the time runs out.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Just a thought ... a 555 timer cicuit , much like the ones in the fog timers would work perfectly and probably be a bit cheaper as well .
You could probably just hack one of those timers and use it instead of building a circuit yourself on some breadboard .

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
As long as it ignores repeated triggers from the sensor, it should work. I don't know if fogger timers have a built-in lockout, but it seems like they would. The 555 would need to be in monostable mode to work as a fog timer. Building a 555 monostable circuit is easy and cheap, but you'd need a 110VAC relay to trigger the circuit via the PIR sensor.

Mickkell, if you're interested in going this route, here's a good place to get started:

LM555 Timer Circuits

Check the section on 555 monostable circuits. They're not very complex, and are easy to build.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats exactly what I was after.That looks like the one I have.Where do I find that mod?Thanks BoogieMan.I did get my macro/timer today too,but no diagram on how to hook it up.Phooey.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts