Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone knows if a fog machine is able to be easily fixed when it stops fogging. My fog machine was working fine until I stood it on its end. (not a good idea). It still makes noise but doesn't fog. Any advice would be appreciated, even if it is to throw it away.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Dont throw it away just yet. There are several people on here that have done repairs on fog machines and I believe most of the repairs involved cleaning the pump. Someone will chime in to assist you. I have never had one break on me yet (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Myra, I did a quick online search and found this. You might try Google Repaiting Fog Machines.

"I've had an American DJ Fog Hog for 10 years. It has been perfect in every way, good output + reliable. I have never done any sort of cleaning and it has worked perfect... until last year. A few days before my haunt I brought it out of storage and it worked great for the first few cycles, then the output decreased dramatically. After a more minutes it was putting out almost no fog, I could hear the pump humming though. I called AMDJ asking about buying a replacement motor but they were no help at all. I tried running distilled water and vinegar through it and it just got worse.

Later I found a PDF about disassembling the pumps and cleaning them, so I tried it. I cleaned the piston, spring, and housings with a rag and water - oiled them and put it back together. It began outputting at a higher volume, but the next day it was back to nothing. So, I repeated the process only this time instead of oil I used Vaseline. I brought the fogger out again this year and it worked, however the hose from the tank to the pump was leaking (it was dry rotted).

I went to Home Depot and bought the closest thing that I could find, it is a little larger than the original hose though. WHAM! The output is every bit of what it was when I bought it 10 years ago, possibly ever more.

Overall I spent about $3 and a few hours.

Here is a link to the PDF that I used - essentially I only looked at the pictures to see how the pump would come apart. I used my own cleaning method - http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/_...a%20Fogger.pdf"

·
Registered
629 Posts
If I were you, I'd check out Otaku's posts in his profile, he has a whole threaf where he talks about disassembly of th machine, and cleaning the pump, he's the one you need to talk to.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well, the wolfstone link doesn't work for me. Anyone else? Also, I can't find the thread you're talking about. If anyone comes across it and has a link, it would be greatly appreciated. I have about 25 fog machines, and about 8 of them are dead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts