Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMG_20180530_065754.jpg

Here is a picture from the back.

Well I lucked out and found this wonderful looking clock at a local thrift store. Battery was horribly corroded in it. So much that the metal battery strip that went to the mechanism was very brittle and crumbled when I removed what was left to the battery. I also removed the mechanical chime for now since it wasn’t needed here. That goes into the box of parts for ‘future project' use.
My original intent was to have separate control via a motor or servo of the hour hand and minute hand to have them spin forward or back independently from each other. As I started taking apart the clock mechanism, that idea looked a bit more involved than I wanted at the moment (I may try to revisit this in the future). I did find that removing one gear easy removed the connection between the second hand and the minute/hour hands, so I can keep the second hand ticking away (hard to see in the video and powered with the single AA) and using the time adjust knob can easily and quickly move the other hands.
Replaced the adjust knob with the blue gear and glued the white gear to the horn of a continuous rotation servo. Made a small block to hold the servo and fit it where the chime was attached. Used a Pololu Maestro USB servo controller powered by the 4xAA and the rest is just playing around in the included software to program the controller.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,506 Posts
That is fantastic! I love that it isn't a continuous movement and it goes forward and back. I wish I understood how to do this sort of thing because I have a really creepy looking mantle clock that this would be lovely to turn "possessed" :D

Reactions: demongod

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is fantastic! I love that it isn't a continuous movement and it goes forward and back. I wish I understood how to do this sort of thing because I have a really creepy looking mantle clock that this would be lovely to turn "possessed" :D
Would you mind posting pics of the clock front and if possible the mechanism? I feel that I lucked out a little with the clock I found that the mechanism was a little more 'user friendly' than the typical mechanism found in most clocks nowadays.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The picture doesnt show up anymore. Any chance you can post it again? I'll need to save it on my computer to make sure I dont lose this! Thanks.
Weird, when I didn't login and tried to view, it didn't show up. After I logged back in, the picture showed up just fine.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just tried logging off and on and it didnt work. Checked from my phone and it says there's a "broken image." Could you pm me the photo if you dont want to repost it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts