Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building another fence that will surround my entire yard. I have one (made out of pallets) that goes straight across the yard (along the sidewalk) but I wanted something where the bottom 3 feet was solid so it would help with keeping the fog inside the yard. I am using an old fence and cutting it to 3' sections for the bottom and laying them on the sides so the pickets are horizontal. For the top 3'-4' I am going to do the normal look for cemetary's with the posts ranging from 3' to 4'. I haven't decided if I want it to curve from the 2, or if each one went back and forth from 3' and 4'. Also, my main problem is I don't know how far to space them. I am thinking about 8" but I don't want it to be to close together though. What did you do when you built yours. Here are 4 different picture and would like for you to give me your opinion on which one looks best. The talest posts are at 7' and the smallest ones are at 6' just to give you an idea of the size.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My fence looks like 'B' (minus the pallet). I haven't pulled mine out just yet but believe the spacing is 8". My suggestion is to lay down the 'bars' and see what spacing you prefer.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I like 'B' followed by a close 'C'. I did a fence this year with all the posts at about 30" high and spaced 6" apart at center. I tried a section at 8" but I decided to go with the 6" in the end. Here's a pic at 6" apart, I wish I took a pic with them at 8":

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
Hallow and would LOVE to see pics of your pallet fence parts! I am building a sort of "split rail" style fence for next year (yes - next year. Thanks to HF, I have more ideas than I know what to do with!) using pallet wood, but am running into some resistance from my hubby who think it won't turn out well. Will just have to see about that...:p Seems fences are one of the most expensive items in the initial set up of any graveyard scene. I like all of your designs personally. They each have good aspects. The farther apart - the better the view of some of the ground props for little treaters. Will enjoy seeing your pictures when done! :D BOO!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are 2 pictures that I made on AutoCAD real quick so you can see what it will look like. The bottom picture is a close up of both of them. I wanted it to go over the sidewalk so the TOT will have to walk "into" the cemetary but yet still be blocked from getting to all of the props and what not. The design on the fence is style a from above. I just used that one since I already had it in 3d.

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
OMG OMG and WOW.. Can I say it any louder?! Thank you soooo much for sharing this plan. I think it will take me the next couple years to collect THAT many pallets. This is really wonderful - and so well planned. Great job and whatever you decide on the PVC spacing - from the looks of things - you will have a great looking fence! BOO!

·
Registered
306 Posts
WOW, that is so cooool.
I vote for "B". I think it would be a little easier to build.
Make sure the Tot's can't head their heads stuck between the bars.
Do post photos when it's complete.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I vote for D. I love the way it flows. I did 10 sections this way.

PVC size 3/4 inch 36,34,32,30,28,26,26,28,30,32,34,36
Distance between bars 4 inch from the ends 8 inches after
Distance of ground to first 1x2 4 inches
Distance of ground to second 1x2 measured from 1st 191/2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts