What should I do this year?

• Stick with your plans!

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Start fresh and go pro!

Votes: 5 29.4%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you may know, I've been planning for my 09 haunt ever since last October. I've got almost everything planned out already, and am just waiting until July to actually start putting everything together. However, we recently looked at possible building locations for the haunted house... and we might get a building as soon as maybe a couple weeks.

Do you think I should stick to my plans and stay home for this year? Or, if one of the buildings works out, should I scrap the plans for this year and go pro?

I understand that going pro opens up a big can of worms... But if we get it soon enough, we could have it up and going for this year I would think.

What are you thoughts on this?

Typical Ghoul Next Door
I didn't vote because I think you should see if your plans could be adapted for the space you might get if you get it...

All that planning, seems a shame to toss it out completely and start over!

:)

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't vote because I think you should see if your plans could be adapted for the space you might get if you get it...

All that planning, seems a shame to toss it out completely and start over!

:)
Most, if not all, of my plans for this year could be worked into the new building. The only real pain would be doing an indoor cemetery.
:rolleyes:.

have you done any back round checks as far as the what you would need to to do with the local fire Marshall, building inspectors, state employment people ,insurance companies Getting to talk to all those people and start up cost will most likely determine if you can go ahead this year or not
I have some knowledge of the fire codes for the area, seeing as a worked for a pro haunt from 05 to 06. But we'd definitely look at all of that before buying anything.

Thanks for all your comments!
Keep em coming!
:).

Insert Witty Comment Here
Indoor Graveyard would work if ya can afford the lumber...just make a raised graveyard, then you can have "trap doors" for actors to climb up from the dead

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Indoor Graveyard would work if ya can afford the lumber...just make a raised graveyard, then you can have "trap doors" for actors to climb up from the dead
Yeah I thought about that... but didn't want to cause any problems with anyone with a wheel chair...

Plus, I don't want to get my hopes too far up.
:p.

jester girl
i would stick with your plans, go pro next year. halloween is coming up fast. but it's up to you

Reaper
If you get the opportunity you mineswell go for it! You can probably adapt most of your plans to a new building :)

~zombie hunter~
I'm going to agree with Hallorenescene. I mean halloween is only six months away and it seems like you'v worked and put so much thought into your yard haunt. I get that you could use your yard plans for the buliding but to me it woulden't be the same. Also I would only imagine that the building space is much bigger so you'd probably be spending more time on planning then you would have building.

It's great that you know about some of the fire codes but for the rest it will take sometime to get it all readdy. With the economy being so bad right now I'd think it would suck haveing to deal with all those fees and fines.

I think if you could get a pro haunt next year with more space that would be better.
You'd have more time to get everything set in stone, you'd have less stree and less worries.

Besides who said a yard haunt isen't a pro haunt? I'v been on this forum for almost a year now and I'v sceen more amazing stuff in our members yards then I have at the Pro Haunts in the citys.

Which ever you decide keep us posted. :) I love your website.

Horror off the Highway
Hey stranger! ;)

I voted to stick with your plans for this year. You have everything set up already. Plus you will be really disapointed if the plans for the haunted house falls through.

Plan big and go pro for next year. I might have to fly down to go see it!! :D

Registered
From my past experience it is really hard to get a haunt up and going this late in the year. Not so much with actually building the haunt but in dealing with all the permits, insurance and other paperwork. My first year it took me several months just to deal with the fire marshal, codes and the insurance company.

Sometimes though the right opportunity comes along and you just have to go for it.

The bad thing about moving from yard haunt to pro haunt is that Halloween becomes a business and full time commitment instead of something fun. Be prepared for endless headaches and problems. It does get easier with time after you learn from your mistakes. I remember during my first year several nights of wanting to just close the show due to all the stess of dealing with drunks wanting to fight, people trying to tear everything up from the props to the walls and actors being difficult not to mention the normal every night stress of just trying to keep the show runnning smoothly and under control.

The first year is the hardest. You will have to learn stuff that no book or video can teach you. If you can't deal with difficult people have someone with you that can. I started off not letting the drunks in but I realized that I was turning away quite abit of income that I needed so I had to let them after the first 2 weekends. I just wasn't prepared for how awful some people can act. We actually had someone take a dump in a dark maze area one night which was then tracked all over the maze by other customers.Being the owner I was the one that had to clean it up. We also had someone start a fire in a trash barrel while waiting in line because they were cold. It is just unreal how some people act when they go to a haunt.

Foolish Mortal
you have probably made up your mind by now but here's my opinion. I am a business woman so I say do the math. Figure out how many people you can reasonably expect to get through during your operating time times your price. Subtract EVERYTHING building rent, building materials, props, actors, permits, insurance etc. EVERYTHING. And be realistic. Money in - Money out = Profit. Not enough profit I wouldn't do it. It will seem like a job and you might be happier at home. You might still have enough time if you get enough help but extra help could be an added expense. Though if you wait and get your building earlier next year the extra few months rent is also an added expense. Now that I think about it I probably didn't help you. You have thought of this stuff already.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts