Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a moral dilemma . . .

I live in a little cul-de-sac and I love my neighbors because they're all pretty cool with my Halloween Yard Haunt. However, the house next to me is up for sale. It was purchased at auction about a month ago and is now "on the market" - post flip. This Sunday, July 19th, is an open house from 1-4pm.

So my question is this:

Should I keep my current Halloween projects out in the front yard so prospective buyers know the reality of the neighborhood and what they might be getting into if they decide to be my neighbor? Or should I try and hide the fact that mine is the "Halloween House"?

This is what I currently have in the front yard:
1. Two person stockade
2. Cider hut
3. Mausoleum
4. Aged wood for groundbreaker toe-pincher
5. Small practice stockage with blucky

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,067 Posts
If it was me:

I'd leave it out if you're working on it. If any prospective buyers see it and are freaked out, then you don't want them living next to you anyway.

Having your stuff out where people can see lets them get an idea of the type of neighbor you are - you like building stuff, you like Halloween, and you like doing stuff (at Halloween) to give a little thrill to the neighborhood kids. I can't see anything wrong with that! ;)

It is your hobby, just like some folks work on cars, garden, sculpt... and you shouldn't have to hide it just because someone else might not like it. If you aren't harming anyone else (or neighborhood rules), doing it on your own property and it is something you enjoy, then have at it! :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would leave it up.
Prospective buyers should know what you do for Halloween.
If ,for WHATEVER reason,they find it objectionable,then they can go live somewhere else.
I of course,finding a house that celebrated Halloween next door,would possibly wet my pants with excitement.
As the Realtor slowly backed away ,I would tell him I have a medical condition and where do I sign to buy.
(Furr who currently has a house next door and across the street for sale/rent and is praying Halloween like-minded people move in)........

C

·
0 Posts
My next-door neighbors had their home on the market for almost a year when I started putting my halloween up last year. they were real nervous about potential buyers seeing it and being turned off by it. within a week, they had a contract. :)

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I'd say keep doing things as you've been doing them.
Let any prospective buyers know what they're getting themselves into.

(keep things organized and neat, of course, but no need to hide the props from sight altogether)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the SAME issue a while back when I started making props for sale. I made a line of seven of my "Robby" gore Skeletons and hung them outside like laundry so they can fully cook in this weather. Both of the Lots next to me were for sale and a few buyers were turned off by the dangling props. Well its been a year since then, and I have one happy neighbor and a car lot next to me. Turns out people in the neighborhood are moving away now because they can't stand the car lot.

I agree with the previous responses. There's no harm done with your craft, and it would be a pain otherwise to hide it and have neighbors move in who might not like their new location with the the next few months! AT Least you could attract people who appreciate your work.

As long as it doesn't look like a tornado went though your yard, I'd say your stuff is fine!

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
set out all your stuff!.....Get some fog going as well....

Also go into the house and hide in a cupboard or wardrobe and have a mask on or something and wait for visitors.....

Ruggerz

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't think you should have to worry about anything :) It's your property and you're free to do as you please as long as it's not harming anyone. So, Happy Haunting! :D

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Definitely leave the stuff where they can see it. And you may want to test your foggers and sound systems while potential buyers are viewing the place....

There's nothing like the soundtrack to John Carpenter's "Hallowe'en" to put people in a buying mood!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Definitely leave it where it is. it's your "thing"..and prospective buyers like to know what their potential new neighbours "things" are.
if you keep everything tidy and orderly, so your front yard doesn't resemble a junk yard in a hurricane, it should be ok... unless the prospective buyers have a major problem with Halloween, in which case you won't want them as neighbours anyway.
Remember that they will be your new neighbours... so I think you have a right to exert a little influence on who you have to live next door to..
It may be an Idea to be "around" when potential new buyers come visiting if possible, as your props are bound to elicit some remarks..being available to exchange pleasantries and answer any questions could be helpful.
I think as well that many people would be happy to have such a community spirited neighbour.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts