Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No more big elaborate prizes at our haunt. In years past we gave away Portable CD players and even cheap DVD players. We do a "Raffle" where the TOT's reach into a cauldron and pull out a ticket with their prize printed on it. This year we go back to basics,no more books, waterguns, and all the rest of it. We had (unsubstantiated) reports of kids being accosted by bullies trying to take their prizes away. No thanks. This year we're going with DVD's as the main prizes and either a bag of chips or a bag of candy. Big, bulging ZIp-Lock bags of assorted candies.
What about you guys?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I don't know yet, but I do want to include non-candy and candy items. I'm looking for something that's not too small because I don't want there to be a choking hazard for the littlest little guys, but I don't want to go too expensive, either. I'm not sure but I have to go shopping soon........

As for candy, I love to do extra special candy...I keep finding stuff online but the shipping is so exorbitant that it's just plain stupid!!! I tried to order marshmallow goo eyes and they were only $2.00 for the bag but the shipping was TWELVE dollars. Excuse me???

If anyone has some cool places to candy shop online...let me know!!! Whatever we do hand out, we'll be overstuffing our bags like you said...I love to give out tons of stuff!

·
Registered
284 Posts
In the past I've always been the type to give out handfuls of candy. But last year I was being creepy and not sdpeaking and just pointing toward the bowl. All the very polite kids in my neighborhood nicely took one piece each. I had to practically prod them to take more. LOL!

So this year it's goody bags with 4-5 pieces of candy in there and a goofy little glow in the dark skeleton from OTC. :D

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, yeah, I forgot. This year we're also passing out Glow-Stik Necklaces to everybody who shows up. $23.95 for 50 from Amazon.com, good stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great idea on the Flow-Stik necklaces. I think we're going to be giving out just candy - probably some king sized version of the candy bars and maybe a few other small pieces. We don't get that many visitors so we spend more on those that come to the door.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Oh, great idea on the necklaces! I'm going to buy some.

I picked up some mini Hershey's and some mini oreo cookie bags today to get started, and some Halloween drinking straws (big/plastic/washable) which double as whistles. The whistles will be fun for littler kids and the necklaces I'm sure everybody will like. Thanks for the ideas!

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,747 Posts
I've traditionally always done treat bags. In fact, I've used the exact same treat bags from Kmart the last several years and i saw they have them again this year. I bought all of the leftovers there after Halloween last year and at least count i had 16 packages of 40 bags on hand. I usually go through between 100-125 a year.

changing it up a bit. The bags will contain a small candy bar, 3 pieces of assorted candy, and a fake spider. I took it one step further this year and ordered a custom rubber stamp with my spider logo and "Spider Hill Mine" underneath it to stamp on the back of each bag. I am also giving out glow bracelets. I got them on sale at Rite Aid for about $3.99 for 50. :)

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,877 Posts
We do toys of some kind and several pieces of candy per TOT.

Last year, we did spider/skull rings and glow bracelets. Michaels (and lots of other places) have tubes of 10 for $1.

Candy was a mix of Wonka (bottlecaps, nerds, laffy taffy), the fun-time mix (dots, suckers, etc.), fun-sized snickers/milky ways, and blo pops. Depending on the effort on the costume, they get a handful or just a few pieces (but every TOT gets some).

This year, we're giving out these bat rings:

US TOY Carnival/Novelty Division website
(arrrg. their site won't allow direct linking to a page. The item number is FA785, and you could see them under "Bat Rings" )

We only got about 60 or so (cleaned out the store's stock!) but I have skull and spider rings still also, so those are our backups.

We're doing the same candy mix, depending on what we find on sale.

We lost count at 170 last year, and ran out of candy right at the end and I had to go get some out of my stash. ;) So this year we're buying 6 huge bags. :eek:

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
That sucks about Halloween bullies. I've always just given out candy, a couple little bags that had candy, rings, or a small decoration in them like one of those plastic bats or a big rubber spider. Still not sure where i'm going to pass it out this year though...

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
We used to give our full size candy bars, but didn't know how many TOTers we would get this year in our new house. I have glow bracelets, pearl necklaces, candy coins, and candy. I'm going to put everything in different treasure chests around me and have the kid pick a chest and open it for the "prize". I'll have a chest ready for age appropraite things for the little ones. I'm going to have a couple of trick ones as well. :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't know yet, but I do want to include non-candy and candy items. I'm looking for something that's not too small because I don't want there to be a choking hazard for the littlest little guys, but I don't want to go too expensive, either. I'm not sure but I have to go shopping soon........

As for candy, I love to do extra special candy...I keep finding stuff online but the shipping is so exorbitant that it's just plain stupid!!! I tried to order marshmallow goo eyes and they were only $2.00 for the bag but the shipping was TWELVE dollars. Excuse me???

If anyone has some cool places to candy shop online...let me know!!! Whatever we do hand out, we'll be overstuffing our bags like you said...I love to give out tons of stuff!
I found an Oriental trading code posted in the coupons section for free shipping. I used it to order prizes for ds's school. I agree shipping KILLS the cost of ordering online.

Free shipping on any order before Oct 24th key code AHW903

I almost ordered from smilemakers.com with coupon SCARY for free ship and 10% off
I found something better from oriental trading though.

We're giving organ bouncy balls to my son's class, and I bought assorted gory dollar store candy and some full size candy bars to give out on Halloween. We get less than 10 kids so I always try to give big candy bars.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We give out candy. I would love to give out some toys but we usual average 200 to 350 ToT's. So it's a little cost prohibitive for us.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Every year I prepare bags of goodies for the TOT's. Normally there are 2-3 mini choc bars, some small wrapped sweets and some novelty (spider rings, glow in the dark skelentons, fake bats etc).

I normally make up about 20-30 bags. Year before last we had 4 people knock, year before that about 6. Normally the end of the night sees me opening the remaining bags and adding the contents to the pinatas I have at our party :(

Last year I stayed at a friends place for the night, I took more than the usual amount of treats (figuring that he was living with students who'd love them), and a box of 36 cup drinks. Within about an hour I was totally out! Why can't my area be like that?! People around here, and from what lots have said, Britain in general, seem to view it as begging. Mind you, lots of the kids these days give you verbal abuse if you don't give them cash. I remember turning down cash at the door when I was a kid because it wasn't in the spirit!

But back to the question, this year I have small bags already made up containing a mixture of cake bars, mini choc bars, wrapped sweets and lollies and trinkets (as I know they'll be in the bin the day after anyway). I plan to buy some carton drinks too, as they went down well last year.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I always make up little bags too - usually a few pieces of candy, and a couple small toys (of the variety that come 24 or 48 for $7-$10). One year I gave out plush bats, but just because I got a great deal on them, and bought enough for our party gift bags too. Our party is before halloween, so anything I have left from the party bags go into the trick-or-treat gifts too.

This year it's pirates all around (party and decor), so I ordered 50 plastic cups with a pirate on them (it wasn't any more expensive than buying bags), and they'll each get a fun dip, laffy taffy, a gummy item and a couple bubble gum coins in there, along with a pirate bouncy ball and a small pack of halloween crayons (bought two packs of 24 for $6 from Current). I think I got some plastic pirate bookmarks to throw in too (really cheap) - those will go in our party boxes as well.

Last year I made up 30 bags...and didn't run out until the very end. I always keep a huge bowl of mixed candy on hand for when I run out of the prepped bags. I keep a tally of how many kids stop - last year I think it was 35 (I have it written down). This year I'll prep 48 "cups"...after those run out, anyone else gets a handful of candy from the bowl.

Of course I enjoy the extras all through November, so I generally pick candy that *I* want to eat, rather than just the generic mixes. ;)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
selz, we don't get a lot of kids either. We're at a very busy intersection and kids within our neighborhood usually don't walk this far down and along both sides extending out are other neighborhoods where I'm sure the kids aren't allowed to cross the very busy street.

We make up bags anyway and I save non-perishable stuff, like the toys and bags, for the next year just in case we ever have a windfall of kids and need extra! This year I'm really decorating a lot and will have everything very well-lit and the gate open in hopes of getting some TOTers. It's fun to decorate and just to know that people are seeing it and getting that fun Halloween feeling regardless. :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts