Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes it as finally happened in the past years i have been lucky , some props died before half the evening was done , the haunted chandelier stoped working 2 hours after it started and the thing was on a machine so it would only shake with louder noise once in a while and worked great on that last year :( the haunted books stoped working after one hour, my cool new gravedigger animated head stoped working at about 6 pm .....did a styrofoam crypt coffin almost in my sleep yesterday to put an animated skeleton in a coffin in it well once in the crypt sensor didnt work well hearing the sound you had to bang the coffin to hear it ....oh well ......what is sad is we are open 4 to 9 tomorow for visitors as well so i hope nothing else breaks done ...

so what prop gave up on you this halloween ?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Lighting FX. I have the white christmas version I just got.

It looked and sounded AWESOME! Except the constant thunder sound might have rouined my amplifier. I have a small 15 watt fender amp that I use for my wireless mic when I do magic shows. It started crackling at about 7:15. I hope it is just the thunder sounds making it crackle. I spent so much on halloween this year I dont wanna drop another $50 on a new amp.

My for machines went empty on my with a half hour left until curfew, so that was not too bad.

I am just worried about my amp.

·
Curator of the random
652 Posts
I made a last second decision to use a pair of 12" Godzilla figures that had a motion sensor. They each had a very loud and distinct roar/screech sound. I placed one at the bottom of the stairs to the front porch where the Tots had to come up to get the treats. The other I placed the back end of the porch where it abuts the wheelchair ramp. I was supposed to go off when they traversed the threshold, for which I had hung a sort of 'bat-ed' curtain. That is to say I strung up about 5 separate vertical strands of twine, w/ a rubber bat attached about every 1- 1 1/2 feet or so. Well that one only worked about 2 or 3 times, and only when I walked by. The one at the bottom of the stairs stopped working about 1/2 hour after things got started. Either it was cheap batteries or the things just drain the life out of any battery after a very short while...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had probems today with my axeworthy ghost. I had been working on it for weeks, and thought that I had it all ready. Boy was I wrong! 4 hours later, I finally worked the kinks out of it and it worked great most of the evening. Only once did the ghost get caught and flip the fishing line off of the drive wheel.

·
spookiness in the suburbs
905 Posts
Oy. The new MIB started flaking out after an hour or so. The battery on the PIR had to be changed, and then the PIR started acting squirrelly. It was OK, and it startled several TOTs and even parents, but it could've worked better. On an up note, it scared one girl (maybe 12 YO?) so badly that she ran all the way to the street!

The quadraphonic sound system that worked flawlessly in 06 & 07 flaked on us. The computer program would run for 30-45 min and then shut itself down. DH had to run up and turn it on a couple of times, and then I gave him a Midnight Syndicate CD to put in so we could be done with it. GRRR. I LOVE that surround-sound effect that we used to get reliably for 3-4 hours. Gotta figure out what's wrong with it for next year... On the positive, we got the "back" channel speakers mounted across the sidewalk so the sound was even better this year, when it worked properly!

What else... OH, light-sensitive "sensor" operated props suck in the dark. Useless. I guess I'll need to rig a break-beam setup if I'm going to bother with them in the future.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Gemmy Witch's eyes stopped lighting up. I also had some chrome look skull strobes and one glow in dark strobe all in a coffin on my porch, and though I put fresh batteries, none of them worked. They were old, but I had hoped to have that part of the display all strobing. Should have checked them out beforehand. I had a Donna the Dead groundbreaker being used as a prop in a bed, but after being lit up for a night her head drooped off to the side. I think it looks better like that in the setting she's in, but I wonder why that happened.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My music actually stopped working. It played through one time then wouldn't play at all. I thought that it might be the CD player and the backup I had wouldn't play CDs at all. So I burned another disk on the spot. Luckily our burner is fast and it only took 60 seconds. The new CD worked just fine but for a moment there I was really paniced!

·
Captain o'th Black Pearl
2,036 Posts
I 'ad 6 skulls wired an' workin' flawless yesterday.. tested again this' mornin'.. Pirate Jail's computer (my kids desktop) wouldnt boot up.. tried fer 'alf hour ta get it to load... anything.. checked PC Health in the BIOS, the cpu temp was 92C OMG!!!! Apparently th' chip's fan decided it didnt like bein' in a tool shed, and froze up.. dragged the computer back in th' 'ouse.. broke open th' case, checked th'' fan, yep, seized.. 'ad a spare, replaced it.. booted up, no worries..

Checked th' Black Pearl crew... 4 o' th' 5 skulls jaws wouldnt move.. an' two o' th' crew's servos would jus' chatter... ARRRRG!!!!! Replaced 4 jaw servos, both HiTec an' Futaba's, with cheaper Tower 5010's.. worked great after that.. 'ad ta really quick, re-edit all th' routines fer th' Pearl's crew ta use th' new servo limits... Tha' be th' extent o' my prop failures fer th' night..

Halloween 2008, may she rest in peace..

·
Registered
93 Posts
With 3 foggers, dozens of lighting effects, a bubble machine, 2 MP3 players, speakers, a laptop and a few other odds and ends, I was thrilled that NOTHING failed tonight! I guess we were lucky this time around!

Oh, and FYI, I received my haunted chandelier this morning and it worked from 5pm to 10pm-ish (when we went dark).

·
Registered
121 Posts
My old Sony receiver stopped working about 15 mins after I set it up. I keep this thing kicking around just for Halloween (stays in storage the rest of the year).

It would shut down and flash "PROTECTOR" on the LCD. Did some searching on the 'net and basically found that it was a goner.

Tried banging it, no good. Finally, turned it upside down and dropped it on the floor from about 3'. Worked great all night :)

Tim

·
Registered
252 Posts
We lost a strobe tonight that was about 4 years old. It worked fine for a while then just quit. No big loss I guess, but it was lighting up a couple of ghost window covers so I lost a pretty important part of the effect I was going for.

My old Sony receiver stopped working about 15 mins after I set it up. I keep this thing kicking around just for Halloween (stays in storage the rest of the year).

It would shut down and flash "PROTECTOR" on the LCD. Did some searching on the 'net and basically found that it was a goner.

Tried banging it, no good. Finally, turned it upside down and dropped it on the floor from about 3'. Worked great all night :)

Tim
It's amazing what a good smacking will do for electronics, eh? It didn't work for me this time though:(

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not so smart

Well evrithing worked just fine and then suddenly all my lights and inflatables on the porch would turn off and the turn back on.I checked evrything and then realized I was standing on the extension cord and had pulled partially out of the outlet and when i stepped on it it would lose connection.Only took and hour to figure that out:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well evrithing worked just fine and then suddenly all my lights and inflatables on the porch would turn off and the turn back on.I checked evrything and then realized I was standing on the extension cord and had pulled partially out of the outlet and when i stepped on it it would lose connection.Only took and hour to figure that out:rolleyes:
:rolleyes: :D :D

·
Registered
574 Posts
On my final check out run the night before halloween, I found one of the Boris skull jaws was just hanging open. The spring inside that closed it broke. When I dissected the skull, I found the pivot joint had also completely worn out. Inside the skull was a pile of plastic shavings. I had used this particular Boris last year as a constant singer. He sang every night for 3 hours for three weeks. To get the http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/74256-young-pirate-chorus-2008-a.html back to full strength, I took the entire face of another Boris (I have a number of spares) and replaced it. So, only 30 minutes of downtime for the prop, and, thankfully, the only thing that needed to be worked on.

On Halloween, everything ran as it should.

Craig

·
Registered
19 Posts
The drive shaft on my Axworthy ghost broke during TOT'ing and the drive pulley fell off. So I found myself in the tree in the dark trying to rig a fix. Got it going and it held the rest of the night. Other than that my X-10 remotes were a bit flaky, they sometimes didn't trigger at all and sometimes triggered the wrong prop, but all-in-all it worked well enough to count it as a success.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The wooden cam in my "monster in a box" prop started to slip on the motor shaft about an hour before show time. I had to cut a new one and create a "non-slip" solution on the fly.
Got it back up and running in about 20 minutes.
Thank god - I had a blast with it (remote controls are wonderful things).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts