Halloween Forum banner
281 - 300 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Light rain over night on my freshly painted, drying fence sections and gate. So, more paint, and touch up painting today. Also got the cleat brackets dialed in so that the removable back panels fit snug, but not too much strain when taking off and on. And although slow going, I did finally get to carving my columns. I kept telling myself that it's straight lines, should be easy. A random pattern would have been easier. And for the life of me, I don't know why sometimes I get melting foam on the bit, and sometimes I don't.

Tire Bicycle Wheel Bicycle tire Wood

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
868 Posts
My first home made life size prop.
View attachment 754569

Trying to decide if I want to paint arches a lighter or darker shade of gray.
View attachment 754570
The arches are gorgeous. If you do a lighter gray with darker mortar and texture, then if you ever wanted to hit them with some UV reactive paint you would see it better. Plus light gray is easier to light. But if you have a lot of streetlights I would go with the darker gray to keep the spooky/foreboding vibe going. Just my 2 cents, they are AMAZING either way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I felt like I worked the better part of the day....and still didn't get as much done as I wanted. The rain and humidity here is making anything that needs to cure/dry take FOREVER. Construction adhesive is taking 2 days to cure, vinyl spackling 24 hours....and I'm usually not patient when it come to projects... lol.

I did get first coats on all of my fence panels, gate, and part of the posts. Then I ran out of paint. Love using the cordless airless sprayer, but as others have shared their wisdom - paint before you assemble, otherwise you go through a LOT of paint. I opted for an off black, going for more of a cast iron look. I have future plans to age adding some rust areas, etc - but that might wait until next year.

Also got the last spackle coat on my columns sanded and did another round on some remaining spots. Didn't help that one of the times I set down the orbital sander something stuck to the sandpaper and it make a nice swirling groove on the foam... Also used the dremel and a couple of different bits on some scrap foam to confirm the game plan for carving the foam.

View attachment 754437

View attachment 754438
Amazing fence!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
No pictures yet, but I've been working on beef netting spider webs for the first time, and mannnnnnnnn do I love them! I am now planning to do more spiderwebs than originally intended because they are just too much fun to work with! :D My DS7 is super thrilled because he's the reason we're doing a spider area this Halloween - he's been asking for one for a couple years now, and I guess it's going to be bigger (and better!) than expected!

The plasma ball fence posts definitely a hit with the kids (and a surprising fraction of adults) walking by the haunt.
I love how they turned out so much! If I was walking by, I'd be stuck in your yard for a long time just messing with them! Super awesome!

·
Registered
38 Posts
On our way home from Tennessee we stopped at a place that sells wholesale concrete statuary.

Picked up this concrete skull for $10.

The reason it looks shiny in the pic is because I just finished sealing it with Elmer's White glue.

The glue seals the concrete, fills in pinholes if applied carefully, acts as an adhesion promoter and a primer.

If you've ever seen any kind of concrete yard art where the paint is peeling it's because they skipped this step.

Tomorrow, I'm going to fill in any larger pinholes and resculpt any areas that were broken in the molding process using Apoxie Sculpt.

Then I'll seal it once more before painting.

Bone Jaw Skull Art Sculpture

Forehead Nose Sculpture Jaw Art

Head Jaw Temple Sculpture Bone

·
Registered
325 Posts
It's a good thing I enjoy the creative aspect of building props. This took longer than I expected.

Columns are painted. I still need to finish the caps, but because of the wet weather, the humidity has prolonged the curing process for the adhesive between the 1" layers of foam I built up and the spackle at the seams. They will get sanded, edged routered, and painted today.

Thankful for the tip to keep an eye out for mis tint exterior latex paint - provided me affordable options for the collection of colors I needed to for this.

Wood Brick Rectangle Brickwork Composite material

Column design and brick I'm trying to match.
Plant Road surface Rectangle Asphalt Brickwork

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here are some follow-up pics for the concrete skull if anyone's interested.

After sealing it, I painted the entire piece black with acrylic paint.

Then I applied rub and buff to give it an antique silver finish.

Glasses Jaw Bone Skull Skeleton

Bone Jaw Skull Font Snout

Temple Skull Art Bone Sculpture

Tomorrow I will paint the stems and vines a dark green and then paint the rose petals purple and black.

Final step is to seal everything with clear coat.

My fiance was amazed that I made concrete look like metal. 😁

·
Registered
38 Posts
Poor little guy was so forlorn and ugly I felt sorry for him. His neck was broken so I got him half off.

Plus I found the idea of a skeleton meditating amusing 😂

It's eyes flash and light up with alternating colors.

IMO the spiders were completely unnecessary and ruined the sculpt so I'm either going to Dremel them off (like on his head and neck) and/or cover them up with cloth or paper mache robes.
Head Rib Human body Jaw Sleeve

281 - 300 of 301 Posts