Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if a thread like this already exists...this is the "prop" version of What did you find/buy today? Today I cut out my first mdf stone! The stone on the left broke in half and is one of my favorites so I've decided to switch to mdf because it's more sturdy and weather resistant.

Thats also my updated Horsemans Hollow in the background which will have UV reactive stencils and wire black lights throughout.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that a cross or a sword? Either way it looks cool, I just want to know.

Thats a valid question now that I step back and look at it. The entire time I have been thinking cross

Registered
I've been working on restoring a wooden gallow my grandfather made several years ago for Halloween. Just recently I picked up another for machine at an auction that surprisingly only was used a few times. I had to unclog the pump and it worked good as new. I've also been working on a pair of spirit Halloween kicking legs. I ended up replacing the gearbox with a wiper motor so it has a nice fluent movement.

Registered
Planning day for us here. Dante's Inferno Room. Starting with some huge cardboard boxes I scored on at work before I make anything out of foam. Overall the face will be about 8' wide and 15' tall. We have 5 sets of windows that will all be "on fire" thanks to the Wicked Makers YouTube video tutorial.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I haven't taken the pics yet but I'm Derecho-proofing (its an Iowa joke for strong winds) my stones by gorilla gluing steel bends on the back and screwing them in...I use mdf board for my stones currently. Also had a 12-outlet powerbar come in today for my Horsemans Hollow (Spookytown)

Registered

Fixed Jack's face for hopefully the last time...

His mouth slowly collapsed (over three month period) to the point where you could barely make out an opening.

The funkins his size have been out of stock for the longest time. I didn't have the patience to wait until September/October, so I used spray foam. I made about 6 in total. Most about 18" diameter, but this guy(24"), and another (26") big time collapsed.

Lesson learned.

Registered
Suggestions for weather-proof paint for mdf anyone??
Not too sure about the paint, but could you add a few layers of this after you paint it?

Rust-Oleum 2x clear gloss.

I added that to all my outdoor props. It will supposedly protect the paint from UV and rain damage. Gives it an almost 'wet/shiny' look though. May not be that you're going for.

This will be my first year trying it out, but I definitely did my due diligence in research. I had a few hand painted blacklight decorations get washed out in the rain last year. Not dealing with that again.

Registered
Suggestions for weather-proof paint for mdf anyone??
I don鈥檛 think you鈥檙e going to have much luck. MDF soaks up moisture like a sponge, even sealed. Ask anyone who鈥檚 built speaker boxes. I鈥檇 try to use plywood or something a bit more stable over fiberboard if you鈥檙e worried about weather proofing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts