Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
crossfit zombie
7,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What prop controller will work with a cow talking skull?I was looking at the pico 105(I think that's the number).Will it work prerecorded or do I still need to provide a external sound source (cd-mp3 and speakers)to get it to work?Or even a event timer where it would run on for 2 min off for 2.
I want something without a computer.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I use the ST-200 for my skulls. I'm assuming that you have a skull with a servo installed. This board can use the ISD chip on the board (convenient, but crappy sound) or you can plug in a MP3 player. If you use the MP3 player, you can use a "beep" track on one channel to drive the servo. You create the "beeps" in sync with the spoken words to dial in the servo action. The voice channel would go to the speakers. Audacity or GoldWave can be used to make the audio file. While you're at it, you can add a period of silence to the end of the audio file to act as the space between runs. This is if you want to have the skull say something, then wait a set period of time and repeat. If you want to have the skull talk on demand, triggered from a PIR or other sensor, if gets a little more difficult as you'd need to trigger the MP3 player. There's ways to do that.
I can send you a sample file of my Reaper's speech with a "beep" track on one channel if you're interested in seeing how this works. PM me with an email address.

·
crossfit zombie
7,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use the ST-200 for my skulls. I'm assuming that you have a skull with a servo installed. This board can use the ISD chip on the board (convenient, but crappy sound) or you can plug in a MP3 player. If you use the MP3 player, you can use a "beep" track on one channel to drive the servo. You create the "beeps" in sync with the spoken words to dial in the servo action. The voice channel would go to the speakers. Audacity or GoldWave can be used to make the audio file. While you're at it, you can add a period of silence to the end of the audio file to act as the space between runs. This is if you want to have the skull say something, then wait a set period of time and repeat. If you want to have the skull talk on demand, triggered from a PIR or other sensor, if gets a little more difficult as you'd need to trigger the MP3 player. There's ways to do that.
I can send you a sample file of my Reaper's speech with a "beep" track on one channel if you're interested in seeing how this works. PM me with an email address.

I don't want crappy sound.So would I be better off to buy the pico?I need simple.
Yes I bought the one already assembled.I was wanting him to sing a 2 min song.
I don't really understand the beep track but I pm'd my email maybe I will be able to understand.
I hope in years to come all of this will be as easy as tying my shoes but right now it's like a foreign language.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Let me be sure I know just what you have. You have a Bucky skull with the servo installed and that's it, right? If your plan is to have the skull repeat the song with a period of silence in between shows, then definitely the ST-200 board with a MP3 player is the way to go. It's very simple, essentially PnP. If you have that silent period in the audio file, just set the player to repeat and you're done. I'll send you the "beep" file later tonight. Do you have Audacity or other audio file editing software? Audacity is free, BTW.

·
crossfit zombie
7,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me be sure I know just what you have. You have a Bucky skull with the servo installed and that's it, right? If your plan is to have the skull repeat the song with a period of silence in between shows, then definitely the ST-200 board with a MP3 player is the way to go. It's very simple, essentially PnP. If you have that silent period in the audio file, just set the player to repeat and you're done. I'll send you the "beep" file later tonight. Do you have Audacity or other audio file editing software? Audacity is free, BTW.
I have the cow talking skull.
I would like for it to be motion activated but finish the song before it shuts off.The st-200 is the cow board?This with a motion sensor would work?I don't have a audio file editing software But need one I will look into audacity.
I got the file thank you so much for your help.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
So just to clarify...You got the St-200 audio board with your skull?....If you were to use a chip, you'd also have to buy the chip corder to get audio recorded into the chip but as someone else mentioned, the audio isn't that great...It's great for simple screams/scares but not so great at singing songs....If you want to set this up as a simple loop then it's fairly straight forward....If you want it to trigger to movement then things just got more costly and time consuming....You basically have 2 ways to make the skull talk - #1 is to buy a dedicated controller or PC software to program when the mouth opens and closes....The benefit is you get total control over when the mouth moves and it doesn't matter what audio source material you use....Of course with this type of setup you get control over many more variables besides just the mouth moving.....The downside is it's more time consuming between learning the software and programming....But this system is easier to upgrade and add things as you continually grow your haunt these systems usually come along for the ride.....
#2 An audio controller (like you have) that works kind of like a light organ - sound going in creates voltage that lights up the LEDS/moves mouth...The louder the sound, the more voltage is applied....This is by far the cheapest,quickest,easiest to use if your source material is a single voice with no sound effects,music,etc.....The reason you would need to use Audacity to edit your song is because the mouth will move everytime there's music like a bass drum hit, the mouth will open....Or thunder crash, the mouth opens....The ST-200 can't decipher what's vocals and what's music-it just hears audio and converts it to voltage...That's why you need to seperate the audio to a right and left channel...When you edit the audio track, You would need to have the music play on the right and insert those beeps when you want the mouth to open on the left and create an mp3 for your player....You need some type of splitter coming out of your mp3 player so you can run the right channel to your speaker for audio and the left going to your St-200 so the beeps open the mouth.....There's more to it but hopefully this answers a few questions...ZR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts