Halloween Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,786 Posts
I personally like acrylics (if you're looking at art type paints), but if you plan on LOTS of painting, check out latex house paint type paints. You can sometimes score pints of house paint latex for super cheap (Ace Hardware sometimes does deals for $5 pints) and also check OOPS paint sections of most home improvement/hardware stores.

In most cases you can get the pints (or hey, even the gallons) tinted any color you can think of, and you can mix if you get a decent couple of base colors like black/white/red/blue/yellow to make any color you want. I've even had luck getting a the oops cans tinted if you ask when they're not super busy. I've gotten a nice collection/color variety of latex paint now for the larger props. ;)

Acrylic artist paint stuff is going to be more expensive since it's fancier arty paint not meant for huge areas but latex house paint is based roughly the same as acrylic: they are a plasticized polymer paint that is water soluble (and water clean up) that dries to a plastic like coating.

The advantage of using outdoor latex is that it usually has some sort of UV/weather protectant, so props are both mostly waterproof (depending on how well you do the base coat on the maché) and also a bit of sun/weather protection.

I do a neutral basecoat most of the time (like a medium gray) on most things mostly for weatherproofing. I've got some paper maché fence columns that have been drenched by rain a dozen times at least due to unable to get them inside fast enough, but they dry out and still look great after years with a nice base coat plus some general age painting. I wouldn't leave something out that was very valuable/delicate but for general use unless you were sure no rain/snow tho.

·
Registered
499 Posts
What’s the best one?
Most water based paints are safe (acrylic or latex). I use a base layer of exterior latex and acrylic paints for finish / details. Coat it with a matte finish spray sealer and your good. My mache props have withstood many heavy thunderstorms and will often have standing water in their mouths with no damage. I used this technique for all the props and tombstones below:

Head Eye Crocodile Alligator Human body

Organism Gesture Trunk Snout Wood

Plant Lawn ornament Tree Sculpture Grass

Plant Cross Wood Religious item Natural material

1 - 6 of 6 Posts