Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I hope you all aren't tired of me. I am new and have so many questions. Today's question (lol) is about motors. Are there any sites that will help me understand what motor can do what? The more I understand about different motors the better I can create my own props. I understand about servo's but as for the rest inquiring minds want to know. O, while my mind is on motors I am seeking info on power supplies also. What works together and what can't play nice with what motor kind of info. I hope I am making sense. My mind tends to think faster than I can type. As always I thank everyone for help. You all have been so sweet so far and I have been referring back to all your words on my other posts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Monsterguts.com. Halloweenfxprops.com I've found those to be good ones. I'm a newbie too, never feel bad to ask a question. That's the only way to learn other than trial and error. Keep in touch with me, we can help each other out. Nice to meet you.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here are some examples of motor uses
00:10-00:29 you'll see two zombie crawlers using vent motors with linkage to create side to side motion, set up on lazy suzans
00:30-40 is my leering skeleton sitting on coffin, uses a rear wiper motor, this motor like a lot of newer rear wiper motors is auto reversing (I am also using a PWM or pulse width modulator for speed control).
00:41-00:45 is my swaying zombie uses a standard wiper motor with a swivel joint to create the front to back movement and once again PWM for speed control
The main thing you need to consider is what kind of torque is needed, vent motors turn relatively slow and have low torque so they should be used for light weight items or items requiring low push, now I don't have an example here but I also use window motors which have more torque and you could consider them a medium torque motor (have a pair of tot sized kicking legs that use this type), then you have wiper motors they are high torque motors good for heavier items or things needing more force, a lot of wiper motors usually need some form of speed control to slow things down.

By no means am I an expert but I hope this help.

·
Registered
175 Posts
One thing that was not mentioned yet was what to use for power supplies. The key to remember is to match the amperage (or draw) of the motor you are using with the proper power supply. Most motors should have their amperage listed on then, but not always. To give you an example, power window motors (12v) usually draw between 2-3.5 amps of power. Thus you will require a power supply in the order of 3000-3500ma (3-3.5a). High torque motors such as wiper or power seat motors may draw as high as 5+ amps.

Power supplies have their output listed on them. It may look something like "input 120vac output 12vdc at 2000ma" This would mean that the output is 12volts dc, and it can produce 2000 "miliamps" or 2 amps of power.

There are all kinds of choices regarding power supplies, from the small to the very large. I source all my power supplies at a local thrift store. They seem to always have a good selection on hand.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Squirrelram no problem:) Thank you for all the replies. I have been searching for info and also looking at props to understand. The other night my Christmas inflatable died so I took the motor out to study it. I am going to check into everything posted here. I want to thank everyone for your help. Animated props would send my haunt to a new level but not until I until what I am doing. I hope to be able to do half of what I have seen others from here do. Thank you for the help!!!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Horrorman I just ran across Robivess last night while researching. I haven't had a chance to really look but I am glad to see I am on the right track.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Reversing controls don't always need to be needed, as long as the law of gravity is not repealed. I try to use gravity to reset some of my bigger , heavier items . Making the job of lifting easier can also be given to making a prop on a teeter-totter so very little actual motive force is needed to make something move, no matter how big or heavy it might be, then gravity pulls it back into position for you.
Send me $100.oo TODAY! and operators are standing by ! For my special gravity mixture to spread on the ground under your new props!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Reversing controls don't always need to be needed, as long as the law of gravity is not repealed. I try to use gravity to reset some of my bigger , heavier items . Making the job of lifting easier can also be given to making a prop on a teeter-totter so very little actual motive force is needed to make something move, no matter how big or heavy it might be, then gravity pulls it back into position for you.
Send me $100.oo TODAY! and operators are standing by ! For my special gravity mixture to spread on the ground under your new props!
Gym Whourlfeld Gravity Mixture is the best. I was having trouble with some of my props till I purchased one of these Gravity Mixtures and spread it on my front yard. Immediately I noticed that the gravity was functioning perfectly. In fact I have not had to add any additional mixture in the 4.6 billion years since the original aggregation. Do not accept a substitute use only Gym Whourlfeld Gravity Mixture.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,761 Posts
I've used a number of various motors on projects:
Wiper Motor - tombstone Peeper, Cauldron Creep (Cauldron)
Vent Motor - Cauldron Creep - (Head)
Microwave Motor - 360 degree Doll Head rotation
Dental X-Ray processor Motors - FCG, 3 Headed Tombstone Peeper

As for the Power Supplies I also scavenge them from anything and everything I can. I frequent Value Village and Salvation Army. They sell them seperately, but don't foget to look at cheap electronics. Some of the time it is cheaper to buy a whole item than the power supply alone.
In addition to the transforrmers I have used computer power supplies.

Just a side note. If you are using a non-reversible DC motor switching the + and - will get the motor to spin the opposite direction.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I didn't post this earlier but like most hunters nothing gets thrown out (electrical and/or mechanical) until I get a chance to go through it, I'll tear down anything looking for parts. All my friends know I'm a bit deranged and save all kinds of stuff for me some good some not but I go through it all, no matter how big or small. Sometime you can pull power supplies from other items as well as motors. The faux torches below use recycled auto AC unit blower motors and old laptop power supplies.
image.jpg
My suggestion is to start a scrap bin and collect collect collect and eventually you begin to find uses, and look at what the haunters of this site come up with I have been inspired countless times by what I see from all the talent here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
mejess68
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing