Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting into the world of digital projection this year, and I'm wondering what you've found works best for you and for the people you scare. I'm not asking for advice on projectors, but I'm curious to know if you've had more success projecting onto floors/walls, onto mesh, or onto windows.

For what it's worth, I tend to be a minimalist, and confine my small haunts in the garage. Although I don't have a theme this year, I expect to have 3-4 props to scare kids on their way to the candy bowl that's at the back of the garage.

·
Registered
668 Posts
For myself, I map the entire surface of my house. In years past, I have done musical sequences. This year I'm doing more of a house transformation. I've also pick up a couple cheap projectors for tombstones and possibly a try on mesh. Everyone local has like the musical numbers, I don't know how they will react to the new format.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I got into it two years ago and just do a atmosfearFX dvd on the large upstairs window. I am using a cheap projector with a shower curtain and doing a rear projection and get more comments about that than anything else. Cheap and Easy with awesome results. Hoping to upgrade projector this year to make it brighter and more vivid.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For myself, I map the entire surface of my house. In years past, I have done musical sequences. This year I'm doing more of a house transformation. I've also pick up a couple cheap projectors for tombstones and possibly a try on mesh. Everyone local has like the musical numbers, I don't know how they will react to the new format c
Wow, that's impressive. I did a search for house mapping, and I can imagine that would be quite cool.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got into it two years ago and just do a atmosfearFX dvd on the large upstairs window. I am using a cheap projector with a shower curtain and doing a rear projection and get more comments about that than anything else. Cheap and Easy with awesome results. Hoping to upgrade projector this year to make it brighter and more vivid.
Do you find that the lack of sound negatively impacts the effect?

·
Registered
629 Posts
This will be my first year doing a projection effect. I'm in the process of building a 10'x12' storage building that will serve a double purpose as much needed storage and as a crypt/mausoleum for my graveyard. I'll be doing rear projection into the doorway onto a white shower curtain with some thin black fabric over the front. The shower curtain and black fabric will be stretched on a frame to ensure a flat surface. The black fabric really increases the contrast and produces better black levels from my cheap projector and the white curtain produces a clear image with no hotspot.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This is my first year with projection as well. I just purchased an epson projector and have been looking around at various loops online. I am leaning more towards AtmosfearFX.

We have a 110" diagonal picture window and covered porch and will use that for our effect with some decor spilling out on the porch. The projector will be inside as I don't feel it is safe here to leave it out. Been looking at using a shower curtain for a screen mounted in front of the inside window, but am getting a difference in opinion as to whether to use a frosted or white curtain. Any advice on one or the other? I read on another thread here that they are using platinum colored chiffon as a mesh, which is another option. For audio, I recently purchased an inexpensive Monoprice bluetooth party speaker that works well and sounds pretty good.

Our neighborhood gets many youngsters, but I haven't seen many elaborate themes or even anyone using projections. This will be a first in our 'hood. Last year everyone was impressed by just a couple of BlissLight Sprites for lighting in my front room, which is small scale. I prefer more of a "scare" video, but will have to tame down the projection a bit for the young kids.

·
Registered
41 Posts
First year going with projections as well. I ran a quick and dirty test a few months ago on a backyard window (don't need the neighbor's thinking I'm any stranger) and did two trials: one with a white shower curtain from Walmart and one with wax paper taped to the window.

With my projector, the wax paper seemed like the way to go. Better image and far less work getting it smoothed out on the glass. The only trick is making sure my taped seams are covered behind the cross braces. The windows don't go all the way to the floor, so placing the projector on the floor hid any hot spots.

Thinking of going with a mesh projection in addition but still not sure the best way to incorporate it and already have more in this haunt than any reasonable person would spend.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is my first year with projection as well. I just purchased an epson projector and have been looking around at various loops online. I am leaning more towards AtmosfearFX.
Which projector did you buy? I'm still debating on which one to get.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Which projector did you buy? I'm still debating on which one to get.
After much searching, I ended up getting this refurbished Epson 730HD from Amazon. It's to be delivered today, so I haven't had a chance to test it in person.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R9ND68E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

It's an 720p LCD with 3000 lumens and 12,000:1 contrast and I have read that the replacement lamps are inexpensive. Good reviews on it as well. It was more than what I really wanted to spend, but I intend to also use it for outdoor movies so it will get lots of use (better than moving our led tv outside every time). The Epson website also sells it refurbed for the same price and has some other refurbed options if you want to go that route.

It is not a short throw, but it works in my setup. It's not full 1080p either, if you are looking for that feature.

Good luck with your search.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts