Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my daughter home from school and a saw the trees were on the verge of changing colors, and it made me smile.

So, what makes you smile this time of year? Give me pics if you got them.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I saw a ton of Halloween type food (candy and pumpkin stuff along with that random few Halloween movies they always put there) in the seasonal aisles of Target last night. That made me smile quite a bit. I've been seeing Halloween stuff at Home Goods for a while now but there is something so... nostalgic? familiar? or something about seeing the stuff at Target.

·
Registered
260 Posts
YES, the color change , the crisp air fall brings(that makes me smile like an imbecile) seeing pumpkins on porches

·
Registered
629 Posts
What makes me smile right now is the forecast predicts that it will be down into the mid 90s by this weekend. I'm getting really tired of this 100+ degree weather.

·
Registered
334 Posts
What makes me smile:
Reading the descriptions on props for Witches, Zombies, Vampires, etc.... Life Size, Life Like, Realistic.......
Hey Marketing People/Advertisement Writers....these are all made up characters! (I hope that is not a spoiler!)
And IF they were real, Zombies and Vampires are Really Dead!! As we all know!

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
...sung to the tune "Favorite Things" (Sound of Music)...

Zombies that lurch
and a few serial killers,
Dragons and ghosties
with blown air as filler,
Small Jack-o-Lanterns
hung up on light strings,
These are a few of my favorite things.

Black cats on broomsticks,
or a crow on a fence post,
Bright harvest moon light
in the shape of an old ghost,
The soft, silent owl that
soars past on dark wings,
These are a few of my favorite things...

When the prop breaks,
When the paint flakes,
When my haunt looks sad,
I remember that most of my favorite things
drive regular people mad!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Trader Joe's pumpkin extravaganza.
That's not a thing. I simply light up when I walk into the store and pumpkin is everywhere.

Turning on my orange string lights gets me pumped and then when I fire up some incense and candles...boom, grinning ear to ear and in that Halloween spirit.

Sitting in the autumn woods playing with sticks, knives, and rope get me happy too. I am a 31 year old man and I blame being in the Boy Scouts.

Pumpkin ice cream.

Cider.

Chai tea.

I only did this once when I was in elementary school. Some kid invited the whole class to their farm at night for the longest hay ride I have ever been on. It was so extremely peaceful, yet exciting at the same time. The chilly wind whipped through the tall corn stalks and it was a new moon, so that field was DARK. All of these years have gone by and that moment stands still in my mind forever. Hay rides in general tend to evoke that memory.

·
Registered
138 Posts
when you can get pumpkin muffins at dunkins....its that time of year....Also---temps below 80 and humidity 50% or below.....can't take this hot weather!

·
Registered
902 Posts
usually its the leaves changing, but we've had such a wet spring and summer here in Colorado that the trees got some kind of fungus and killed off most of the leaves already:( so ill have to stick with when the pumpkins show up in the stores.

·
Registered
293 Posts
-When people pin a hundred pumpkin-flavored beverage recipes on Pinterest
-When I can sleep with the windows open and wake up curled in my blanket with a kitty on my legs
-When I start drinking hard apple cider with a shot of cinnamon schnapps
-When I can start cooking fall comfort foods like chili and pot roast
-But mostly, when I see candy on sale!!!!

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
-when people pin a hundred pumpkin-flavored beverage recipes on pinterest
-when i can sleep with the windows open and wake up curled in my blanket with a kitty on my legs
-when i start drinking hard apple cider with a shot of cinnamon schnapps
-when i can start cooking fall comfort foods like chili and pot roast
-but mostly, when i see candy on sale!!!!
All this plus I'll add, when I feel that first chilly northern breeze. Big smile!

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
...obviously the dog did not find this terrifying
"Hey, a new pillow to try out!!";)

That is the million dollar question (minus the large payout), as a genuine smile is very rarely in my arsenal:rolleyes: I possess a tremendously offbeat sense of humor, so, besides Halloween's approach, major irony (grave robbers turning out to be groundhogs, for instance) and ridiculous amounts of blood flying everywhere (a la the fight scenes from the TV show Hannibal, particularly the final one):D On the other hand, "What makes you glare and cuss?" could lead to a book large enough to knock someone out with:eek:

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I agree with the changing leaves. I spent several years in Las Vegas, and missed seasonal changes so badly! The only trade-off was that they have 99 Cents Only stores there, haha!

Lately, just thinking about vintage Halloween things makes me smile. I wish that I could decorate my entire house in vintage style Halloween items (even if they are reproductions, I don't care).

I was standing outside with my 4 yr old son this evening, not long before a storm blew in. The wind gusted quite a bit, and blew a big bunch of dead leaves pretty forcefully into our yard. They were swirling all around us--it was amazing! (even though I accidentally ate one when I was talking to him as they blew. Blergh!)

I have seen several plain pumpkins on porches lately, and we drove through one of the "nicer" neighborhoods this afternoon, and one house had a very large metal Jack o'lantern on their porch already! I don't know them, but they're my new favorite people in town! ;)

Of course, I smile when I see stores stocking items "early" in August and September. However, I am very bummed about the fact that other stores are being sticks in the mud, and do not have (worthwhile) merchandise out yet!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts