Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's under your DIY lifesize props? I'm so obssessed with storage that try to put props together that can break down easy for storage. I use pvc that are just slipped together and break down for easy storage

So I use plastic shopping bags to bulk up my props. I collect the bags year round.
I just don't want to use anything that is sort of permanent like chicken wire armature
What do you use to bulk up your props?

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Another idea is to simply stuff old clothing with bunched-up newspaper; pin the characters' pants and shirts together; and use a filled pillowcase for the head, all of which keeps them collapsible even if stuffed well. The main drawback to this, of course, is that the dummies do not stand on their own and wind up having to lean against something for balance, leaving them looking like they have had a few too many.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I use plastic bags, too. They're lightweight, doesn't matter if they get wet, and they're less likely to get shredded if mice decide to take up residence (although it's not foolproof). I do have one chicken wire armature that a friend made and gave to me. I like it a lot, and would like to make more. I find that I have to put it back into shape every year, because it does get flattened easily when stored. I've had it for 10 years, and haven't had any breaks in the wire from all of the flattening and re-shaping, so I'd say it's a good investment.

Only the torso is chicken wire on that one. It's attached to the "backbone" PVC pipe, but the rest of the dummy is stuffed with bags.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need to try the chicken wire. By your description LM it sounds like a chicken wire torso isn't so bulky and stiff as I initially thought it was

1 - 4 of 4 Posts