Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I want to make a Medusa headpiece to use as a prop (and maybe a costume, down the road). I don't want to use rubber snakes, because it'll be too heavy. (I want a LOT of snakes!) I found a tutorial online for carving snake heads out of foam, but I can't figure out what kind of foam it is, and I can't find anything like it online. Can you take a look at the pictures and let me know if you know what it is (or have an idea of what to use)? I think it might be pipe insulation, but I can't tell from the pictures if there are holes in the foam. But I don't know where else you'd find small, one-inch or so cylindrical foam pieces.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Here's the link to the tutorial. Scroll down just a touch to see the pictures (third, fourth, and fifth pictures are of the foam).

http://aranamuerta.com/2014/05/26/medusa/

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've seen this tutorial before and she notes right in there what she used: "I ended up using tubular crinoline for the bodies and I used some insulation foam for the snakes heads." Looks like the pipe insulation foam to me or maybe cut down a pool noodle?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right - I see that. But when I look for pipe insulation foam, it usually has a big hole in the middle. It doesn't look like what she used had a hole in it. Although, I guess I can't really tell from the photo.

I'm also stumped as to how to buy insulation foam, as there seems to be wildly sizes of the foam itself and the hole inside it. But there's only one diameter measurement, so I can't tell how to find one-inch foam with a small hole. I guess that's a question for Home Depot though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah I don't think you have to worry much about the hole as you would just use a small bit to carve the face and slide it over the armature wire. She probably just cut the pipe insulation down the middle and carved from there as I would imagine the faces aren't that big. I'm just guessing though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.