Halloween Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For myself, It was a Halloween when I was fourteen, we were up to our usually tricks for Halloween, soaping tping etc, when a guy from the local town went bonkers. The guy was wondering around town with a butcher knife, threating everyone he came in contact with, which of course, happened to be me and my friends. We were spending the night in an old moble home, let me tell you that is not the place to be cornered buy a psycho. Anyway, we survived the night and our local psycho got hauled off to Central State. Of course this was the early 1980's and Halloween was still fresh in our minds.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I never actually had a really threatening encounter like yours, not on Halloween night.

I did however stumble onto a creepy scene that got my adrenaline going. It was the late 80s, and the Satanic Panic was rampant across middle America. Churches were having special services, cops were out in force, blond & blue eyed girls were encouraged to stay home, candy was being x-rayed and the television was awash with special documentaries about satanic sacrifice, evil rituals and devil worshippers infiltrating all levels of society.

I was about 16, driving around town with a few friends watching the crowds and listening to the local pop station, which was playing Halloween tunes. We were deciding what to do with our Halloween - go to someones house and watch a few horror flicks? Cruise the drag? Maybe give the local cemetery our respects, just for the sake of tradition?

Someone recommended we go out to a patch in the country rumored to be a gathering place for satanists. The locale was a creepy old wash, a low spot near a bridge and within sight of an abandoned farmhouse. It was the sort of place that took on the horror of each passing generation. In earlier times it was a place were aliens landed, then the story was a madman butchered kids down there for meat. Now it was the prefered spot for our local devil worshippers.

So out we go, under a waning moon, bumping down dirt roads, the dust kicking up red in our tail lights, until we came within sight of the place. We turned off the engine and rolled down the windows to listen, just in case there really were a couple of drugged-out lunatics obsessed with the occult in the vicinity.
No noise.
No lights.
No cars.
Nothing.

So we got out of the car and made our way down into the wash, flashlights in hand, snickering and joking with each other.

We found a ring of stones filled with charred wood, wood that was still smoking.
That put us on edge, so we began heading back to the car, flashlight beams sweeping the area for any movement or unwelcome object. One of the beams panned under the nearby bridge, and we froze when we saw something dark red glistening under the rafters.

Some yahoos had decided they wanted to be evil, to really play out the fears of the community, to do what everyone was worried someone would do. They'd taken a lamb and hung it by it's neck with a rope under the bridge and stabbed the poor thing to death. It wasn't surrounded by candle stumps or burnt offerings, it was ringed round instead with beer cans and cigarette butts.
All around the lamb on the concrete slopes were spray-painted band names, like Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, etc, as well as a few "666" combos, "Satan Rules" and the old reverse pentacle. Nothing a real occultist would have done. It was the work of moronic teenage rubes in a small town, a disgusting act of cruelty born of a media-fueled fear.

We didn't call the cops. The last thing we wanted was to be associated with the scene, especially since half the cops were well-known church-goers and bought into the satanic stuff hook, line and sinker. They had a rep for giving kids serious trouble over rock music and role-playing games. We simply got in the car and drove off, knowing some farmer or local kid with the FAA was wondering where a lamb was.

That was the night I honestly began to worry, that first adult moment of asking "what the hell is wrong with my country?" I imagined feeling the same way some observers did of the Witch Panic in Salem, wondering how we had reached the point that the whole town saw the Devil everywhere, and what future generations were going to believe.

It was the most sobering Halloween I've ever had.

·
Registered
72 Posts
One Halloween my husband and I decided to watch The Ring. It was one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. It was after 9, and we declared trick or treating over, so we kept the lights off while we watched because there were several bands of late night teens wandering around still ringing doorbells. When the movie ended, I was pretty well freaked out. My husband grinned at me, and said, "Well, I'm going down to work on the computer. Goodnight!" And he LEFT ME! IN THE DARK! Me, the professional ghost story teller was too afraid to walk up the stairs to my superdark bedroom because some evil little girl might get me! I had to go turn on all the lights in the house, before I could make my way upstairs to go to bed.

Okay, now that I tell it that was more funny than scary. :)

My other experience didn't take place on Halloween, but it was last year in the middle of October during my second ghost tour. I love ghost stories and ghost tours, but in truth, I'm wasn't sure I was a believer in the stories I was telling. I'd never had any ghostly encounters, and didn't really expect to have any. That night, the tour was at the Masonic Temple, and I was telling the story of Charlie Valentine. He was a very active Mason in life, so in death, his wife donated his ashes to the lodge. He's haunted it ever since, and is supposed to be a pretty active ghost. I finish my story, and as the bus is pulling away, I notice that there is a service access type door on the ground floor of the temple. There in the doorway was the outline of a person. The outline was darker on the outside, growing lighter on the inside. There were no features, no face, clothes, details of any kind- almost as if it was a cardboard silhouette of a person stuck against the door. I saw it, and my brain short circuited. I simply couldn't accept what I was seeing, and I wasn't even a good tour guide to point out, "Does anybody else see that?" I simply paused in the middle of my talking, rejected what I had seen, and started the next story. Later, when we got off the bus at the Salt Lake City cemetery, I was cornered by a bunch of the guests wanting to know what on earth that was at the Masonic Temple. They had seen it too!

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,436 Posts
@Spats~Dude! You spin a good yarn! Thanks for sharing!
Like you, I never did "the naughties" on Halloween, and not just because I was a good Catholic girl! But because I absolutely LOVED the Holiday! And I didn't want to do anything that would make people try and stop ToTing!

@Primrose~We love ghost tours but never see anything, how awesome is that! But at least we do get some interesting pics, lots of Orbs of course, but we have gotten some faces and mist. So much fun!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,479 Posts
There is a 2 story house at the end of the street. They have a big picture window where you can see the staircase going upstairs. I was standing in the street & see the Grim Reaper walking down the stairs to answer the door for some kids that are ringing the bell.

That was the end of my ToTing for that nite & for many years after!!

I guess I was 5 or so, not sure but I know both my mother & father took me & they were sorta together when I was that age in 1972.

yes. i'm old.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spats, truely an interesting story and you are right, I had forgotten about the hysteria that the media created over satanic cults. I also agree that it is sad that a poor animal was tortured in this manner, and unfortunately society has gotten worse instead of better. That being said, I think providing a scary haunt for Halloween is one of the best avenues, to redirect the energies of our youth today. I have several teens in my neighborhood that delight in helping with the haunt and we tend to be a destination for many more because they love the decorations and watching others be scared just a wee bit on Halloween!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love a good ghost story Primrose, and the Masonic Temple and it's mysteries lend a perfect setting for shades with unfinished business in the mortal realm.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Nothing to compare with finding real-life sacrificial offerings, but I proffer the following:

The first seven years of my life were spent near Boston, MA. My parents lived next door to my paternal grandfather, who had a huge two-story house and an even more huge back yard.

I think I was six years old, and my daddy was about to take me trick-or-treating. It was a chilly, windy night - that's the thing about being so far north, it was often too cold to ToT without your coat, and that covered up part of your costume.... bummer. But I had a plastic treat-pail molded into the shape of a jack-o-lantern and I was ready to go. We was standing in the back yard about to set off, when suddenly my father said "Just a minute" and took off into the night with my pumpkin treat-pail and the flashlight, leaving me alone with only the back porch light on. And I wasn't too happy about that.

A minute or two passed, when suddenly a glowing orange jack-o-lantern appeared around the far corner of my grandpa's house, held at head-height. My dad had put the flashlight inside my pumpkin-pail and was trying to make it look like a monster was coming around the corner. And he was doing a pretty good job.... especially to a nervous six-year-old girl.

"DADDY....!" I screamed across the yard.

Just one of many fun Halloween memories. My parents knew how to get into the spirit of a holiday.... especially my dad. :cool:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
You know, about the scariest thing that happened to me as a kid on Halloween was the year it was raining and I didn't think I'd get to go trick-or-treating!

·
Mistress of Mayhem
560 Posts
Spats, again, hats off to your excellent story telling! A very sad story though. That poor animal! And I remember those days of fear of Satan worshippers well! Not the brightest spot in our history, and unfortunately it doesn't seem like things have gotten much brighter since... :(

This scary encounter didn't happen exactly on Halloween, but it was a few days before. My parents loved Halloween, and my father was an amazing story teller, his favorite stories being creepy ghost stories. So, my dad's knack for dropping little phrases and hints and worried glances around, cutting himself off mid sentence so he could look around as if he'd heard something spooky would always put us on edge. This is how he would psych us up for Halloween, and it made the whole month of October feel like Halloween to us. (Just to be clear it was never real fear he instilled, more anticipation)

At this time I was 10 years old. My parents had been divorced for 2 years and my father had recently asked his girl friend and her two daughters to move in with us. The older daughter was six months older than me and the younger girl was one year younger. True to form, my dad had been spending the whole month filling our heads with scary stories to psych us up for Halloween and we all loved it. In particular, the night before this event, he had told us, as we all sat around the kitchen table eating ice cream, the story about a girl who was babysitting, and she got a series of threatening phone calls, saying the children were dead or something like that, and she called the police and after a lot of build up the police called her back and told her the phone calls were coming from inside the house. I don't know how the story ended (This was before that movie that I think was based on this story) but I remember being totally freaked by the idea of something being inside the house while she's trying to lock the doors and windows to keep something out.

(Now that I'm writing this, I'm wondering wth was wrong with my dad telling these kinds of stories to kids our age! LOL ... But that was a different time and reality wasn't scary back then, so it was easy to tell the difference between stories and truth)

So, the night after he'd told us this story, my dad and future step-monster decided that they could trust us three girls alone in the house for the first time since they'd moved in, while the parents went out for the evening.

Let me just mention here that we lived three houses away from the Minneola Hotel in Fox Lake, IL. That hotel is haunted. And we all knew it was haunted, in addition to my own personal experiences with the place, my dad had made sure to include the legends of the hotel in his October Scare Tactics, so we were well acquainted with what stood just down the street from where we lived.

Of course, we were all so thrilled by the prospect of a night to ourselves without parental supervision that none of us even considered that there would be no parents to protect us either... We assured the adults they could leave us, we'd be fine, we'd watch tv for a while and go to straight to bed, in our own rooms, no problem.

So, they left, and we squealed and danced around for a while, enjoying our new found freedom as only 9-11 year olds can. Then we watched some tv. I can't remember what we watched, but it was scary, of course, because it was Halloween season. It was a ghost story of some sort and we all thought we could handle it. Eventually though either the show ended or we got tired, and we turned off the tv. We sat around talking for a few minutes before intending to go upstairs to our rooms. Of course, it was later than it should have been, but it was a weekend and we were fully prepared to dash up the stairs should we hear the parents returning sooner than expected, lest they catch us up that late.

None of us were all that wigged by the show we'd watched, but it did start us talking about ghosts. We shared some of our own personal ghost stories, which at the time weren't many for me, but they had a couple of experiences in an old house they lived in that they told me about. So, with new ghost experiences in our heads we all kinda fell silent at the same time, thinking about the subject. Then all of the sudden out of NOWHERE there was this horrible, extremely loud, piercing screeching sound. I don't mind telling you it scared the bejeezus out of all of us, like seriously. It didn't stop right away either, the sound went on for probably around 45 seconds or something, while all three of us cowered in the living room, scared witless trying to figure out where it was coming from.

Eventually it stopped, and all of us, shaking like crazy got up and looked toward the kitchen which is where it sounded like it was emanating from. There was nothing in there. We searched the whole floor of the house, none of us brave enough to go into the basement or up the stairs where the rooms were all dark. (We'd seen enough horror movies to know better than that! lol )

We deliberated on what to do for the next ten or fifteen minutes. We knew we couldn't get a hold of our parents (this was before cell phones) so we decided to call their dad who lived several towns away, but at least he was an adult! lol We called, woke him up, which ticked him off. He, of course started yelling at his daughter before he realized how scared we really were. He then told us to calm down and just go to bed, it probably wouldn't happen again, we were safe, the doors were locked, etc. Of course, thinking that the doors were locked didn't help any of us after we hung up with him, because in the story the night before, the doors and windows had been locked but the calls were coming from inside the house! Just as this screeching was coming from inside the house!

After about 30 minutes or so, we eventually decided we would all three go up the stairs together and get our blankets and then come down and sleep together in the living room, rather than separately in our rooms. We linked arms, with my older soon-to-be-step-sister in the middle, and we crept toward the stairs, which were located between the living room and the kitchen. Each of us put our first foot on the first stair and slowly lifted ourselves to the second stair. At the second stair, we got a little more confident as we were still alive. And just as our feet hit the third stair, that stunningly loud screech happened again, sending all three of us flying down to the bottom again and scrambling toward the living room as the sound was again coming from the kitchen.

This time it only lasted about 15 seconds, but that didn't matter at that point, we were so scared we couldn't even see straight. And the phone was in the kitchen, which none of us wanted to risk going into to call their dad again.

We spent the rest of the night, probably another hour or so, huddled in a corner together falling asleep on each others' shoulders until our parents got home.

Our parents didn't believe our story, and their mom was less than thrilled that we'd called their dad in the middle of the night. They thought we were just messing with them, and/or trying to excuse the fact that we hadn't gone to bed in our own rooms as we'd promised.

A few days later, my dad discovered a problem with the heating unit on the wall in the kitchen. It had stopped blowing hot air. He looked at it and found that the fan belt was extremely loose and needed to be replaced. He claimed that that had to be the source of the mysterious noise we said we heard.

I never knew if he had made that up to reassure us, or if he really had found a problem with the fan belt, but either way, it didn't really matter, because the sound had only happened on that one night, just before Halloween, when we just happened to be allllll alone and talking about ghosts just down the street from a notoriously haunted hotel, so in our minds for years afterwards, we were certain it was some sort of supernatural occurrence.

That was probably the scariest Halloween related memory I have.

·
I am the one who knocks
1,939 Posts
Mordessa, what a great story, I pictured everything you described so clearly it was like I was watching it:)

·
Registered
800 Posts
Mordessa lol that's a great story..reminds me of similar "noises" we'd hear and the noises seemed to always happen around Halloween and the basement was the scary part of the house for us as well, for any kid I think lol.

I think for us the scariest part was trick or treating because in my old neighborhood there were many people who conducted yard haunts. As a kid some of the most simple yard haunts you knew could be a trap. The old dead guy sitting on a chair trick, only to have him pop up and make you drop your candies as you ran lol.

But all in all I think Halloween was my thing from the get-go so nothing really scared me and thus I do not have many scary memories other than the yard haunts..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts