Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Growing up, I had the pleasure of dabbling into all kinds of haunts. Including making my own.

One of favorite scares was a Jaycees haunted house back in 77, it was great the most memorable part of it was this scene where there was a large glass case with about 20 white mice in it and a few corpse parts where they were nibbling on it, I assumed baited with food for the effect. The best part of it was the music was perfect for the scene. The Michael Jackson song "Ben" from the movie "Ben" was playing. I also liked the old school effect of dark rooms filled with 5 or 6 strobes flashing at high rates, actors screaming in my ear as a kid wasn't scary but I think it scared them for my age, while laughing at them and pointing out the effects :D

I always had a special place for Dark rides as well, I could never get enough of the "Laugh in the dark" dark ride. I still remember the old animatronic props and the pretzel decal on the side of the red cars.

Share your memories of what always stuck in your mind from your favorite scares.

·
Doomed to walk the earth
1,062 Posts
my favorite was this house up the street from me..the guy would paw at you with a deer leg great for a home haunt ..the ones in town were lame.but the effort was made..I love dark rides too, we had a laugh in the dark here in my local amusement park ..dont' remember it, but we still have the fat lady that used to laugh at you ..too cool

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is always good to remember those things that inspire you to haunt. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to adding my thoughts on here.

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
You know it's the "unseen" that scares me. You don't see it, but you hear something (a scream or a whisper) or a shadow crosses, or something touches you (like spider webs) or something crawls so fast across the floor that you can't tell what it was, or something pops up unexpectedly. Of course as a kid it was always the story about the haunted house in the neighborhood. Nobody ever saw a ghost, but we "knew" the house was haunted" and would dare each other to go up to the door. Those were admittedly simpler time...but they were good times.

·
kakos
7,217 Posts
My first haunted house will always stand out. I was around 6 or 7 and my mom said the people were not real (she really did think this which is why she took us). So my sister is crying and I'm frozen in place and my mom goes to touch one of the "people" behind these prison bars and says "See it's fake." All of a sudden the guy starts moving and pulls the bars apart and starts coming towards us. My sister starts crying more and I literally turned into a stone, my mom I think even screamed. They had to push me through the rest of the way.

Great thread by the way!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to see input on this, it is a true meaning that stands to show why we haunt.

Just reading these already put my mind back on track of what elements need to be in place for my haunt. I try to remember as much of the past as possible to bring the essence of what scared or disturbed me back then. That is the root to a true haunt. I still sometimes question why I haunt but I always see the answer each time and your responses answer them again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Scarescape, do you mind if I ask where you are? I remember there being a haunted house in my area that had live mice. I was too young to grow through so I only heard about it. And we used to have a Laff in the Dark at a local park until it got flooded. Just wondering if you might be close to me. I'm in central PA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts