Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know what I'm talking about. The nightmare you love to have. Mine are Zombie dreams, I have been having them for the past 34 years, ever since I saw Night of the Living Dead. I had one last night. I dreamed I was visiting my cousin and he was telling me that he didn't feel well. All of a sudden he turned (after apparently dying) and then I knew that it was a dream. Then most everyone I came across was already a Zombie and I have to find someplace safe without getting stuck. They go on FOREVER. I wake up terrified but I LOVE them! Do you all have favorite nightmares? And do you know you are dreaming while in the dream? I do sort of. Sometimes I can wake myself and sometimes I can't. The times I can't, I convince myself that this time it's the real deal but luckily I always wake up.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
I don't classify every "bad" dream I have as a nightmare. My true nightmares wake me up crying. But my favorite bad dream. ... uh, yea.. don't have any of those lol.

I'm a big old wuss I guess.

·
Registered
53 Posts
From Wikipedia:-

"A nightmare is a bad dream that brings out strong feelings of fear, terror, distress, or anxiety."

So if you find that you are enjoying the dream then its not longer classified as a nightmare, no?

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From Wikipedia:-

"A nightmare is a bad dream that brings out strong feelings of fear, terror, distress, or anxiety."

So if you find that you are enjoying the dream then its not longer classified as a nightmare, no?
No. You can be terrified of a movie and still think it's awesome. It scares the crap out of me during and immediately after but then I wish I could do it again. Guess I'm weirder than I thought :/

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
there is a difference between movies and nightmares.

we watch horror movies for enjoyment but i dont choose to have a nightmare just because its something i enjoy.... i would rather never have another nightmare, ever. i think people use the term too loosely anyways because if you dont wake up all panicky and near tears or crying then its not a true nightmare, just a bad dream.

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is a difference between movies and nightmares.

we watch horror movies for enjoyment but i dont choose to have a nightmare just because its something i enjoy.... i would rather never have another nightmare, ever. i think people use the term too loosely anyways because if you dont wake up all panicky and near tears or crying then its not a true nightmare, just a bad dream.
Yea I must have used the term too loosely. I have nightmares about zombies not about my Dad raping me or anything weird like that. So I guess I'm lucky, they scare me, but once they're over and I wake up and realize that it wasn't real, I was glad I had them. Truth be told we do watch horror movies for the enjoyment of being scared and if people could go into a virtual world and know they would live, they would enjoy it. I'm sorry my definition of nightmare isn't strict enough, I didn't say I didn't wake up panicky and near tears. I do have dreams that scare me that I don't enjoy but I do love my Zombie dreams. I just thought others might enjoy their really terrifying, panicky, bad dreams.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
i wasnt trying to split hairs or anything. i was more or less referring to my husband constantly going on about his zombie "nightmares" that he just loves to have... and it bugs me when he calls them nightmares lol.

i guess everyone handles theirs differently. mine are always extremely weird but terrifying to the point where there is absolutely no way i can enjoy it.. even still the 3 or 4 nightmares i have had in my life still eek me out when i think about them but when i try and explain them to someone it just sounds weird... but i remember the fear i felt waking up from them so i guess thats what keeps me scared of them.

all my favorite dreams arent bad dreams... i dont remember my dreams very often and when i do have a good dream its usually about the same thing and i hate to wake up from it lol. i remember more of my bad dreams than good dreams and i just cant remember any that ive ended up enjoying once the initial "WTF!?" wore off.

this is an interesting topic of discussion though... if i had more dreams along the horror movie lines i might feel differently... but mine are just too.... real? dealing with people i care about in real life, for me to find them entertaining or amusing.

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with the dreams you describe. I would never enjoy dreams that involve people I love. I have had only a couple of those and you are right. I try HARD to forget the images of those. I dream every night and I remember them, mostly. And the horror movie ones are pretty cool. They are definitely not night terrors but they scare the crap out of me. I am happy to hear that your husband enjoys his, I was starting to think I was a freak :D So no hard feelings :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts