Halloween Forum banner

What is your favorite halloween candy?

5K views 71 replies 48 participants last post by  christmascandy1 
#1 ·
I'm sitting here snacking on some meant-for-halloween whoppers which are my current favorite. Definitely weren't my favorite as a kid though! Back then I loved Reeses and would trade anything for a pixie stick.

#31 ·
When I was a kid, I loved getting those strips of white paper with the rows of colored candy buttons; the candy-coated chocolate balls that came in little cellophane tubes that were sort of like m-n-m’s; chocolate b-b bats; Cracker Jacks; Pixy Sticks; double lollies that tasted like Sweet Tarts; Krackel; mini plastic coffins with Sweet Tart-flavored bones inside; Mounds; Chewy Sweet Tarts; watermelon Jolly Ranchers; Lik m Sticks; and M-n-m’s.

Everything with peanut butter, nuts, licorice, Necco Wafers, & wax was up for trading. I got the heebie jeebies from those marshmallow ice cream cones.

#33 ·
I'm always the odd lady out. I love Muskateers. Re-labeled 1 year as Muskafears & the nougat was supposed to be red but it wasn't as red as I would have liked it to be. Could hardly tell the difference.

I know a lot of people don't like candy corn but a past co-worker taught me years ago to mix it with Planters Spanish Peanuts & eating them together tastes just like a Payday.

Also for nostalgia's sake, when I was little, all the neighborhood kids loved going to the very old guy's house; "PJ". He had tons of coffee cups on a table filled with "penny candy" & dumped it into our bags.

#34 · (Edited)
My favourites are the same treats I shell out on Halloween. That's not an accident. I know I'll be devouring the leftovers, supplemented of course by any deeply discounted sale stock from local stores!

I used to dole out one of the small bags of Humpty Dumpty Potato Chips that were sold in Halloween boxes of 25:

When the Humpty Dumpty name brand disappeared in 2006 we switched to Cheetos:

And these comparatively new Old Dutch Popcorn Twists:

In addition, in the last few years I've been giving out Halloween boodle bags with several of the following items:

Oh Henry! (which is a different bar in Canada than in the States) has been our favourite chocolate bar since Neilson Sweet Marie was discontinued some ten years ago.

:cool:

#36 ·
For me it would have to be ordinary M&Ms, KitKats, Almond Joys or Mounds (I think I like them a little more than almond joys because of the dark chocolate lol), and of course candy corn.

Since I'm allergic to peanuts, there is one that I wish came in a large bag or variety pack around Halloween - the almond snickers. It doesn't qualify as Halloween candy since it's a year round thing and isn't very common anyway.

#56 ·
For me it would have to be ordinary M&Ms, KitKats, Almond Joys or Mounds (I think I like them a little more than almond joys because of the dark chocolate lol), and of course candy corn.

Since I'm allergic to peanuts, there is one that I wish came in a large bag or variety pack around Halloween - the almond snickers. It doesn't qualify as Halloween candy since it's a year round thing and isn't very common anyway.
I like the almond Snickers, too, but you can get the peanut ones in Halloween packages, and they aren't Halloweeny, either. I guess it's a popularity issue. Or maybe cost, as almonds are pricier than peanuts.
I can't remember when I last saw them in the little sticks/rolls either. It could have been years ago but I haven't been looking for them. Hershey seems to have decided to make them available only in bags:

The Jolly Rancher candies remind me of Charms. Are Charms still widely available in the States?

They're very tough to find in Canada. Even specialty candy shops seldom have any.

Life Savers are no longer easy to find in rolls in Canada either, and they're only available in Assorted Fruit, Wint-O-Green and Pep-O-Mint flavours. Can you still get Butterscotch Life Savers in the States?

Whenever I break down and buy a whole bag of Wint-O-Green or Assorted Fruit Life Savers though, I find them highly addictive and raze through them very quickly:

If however you really like the Grape Jolly Ranchers, I'd strongly suggest you track down Regal Crown Sour Grape:

They're British but they were widely sold in Canada back in the 1970's and I used to buy the Sour Cherry and Sour Grape all the time until they disappeared sometime in the 1980's. They're really good and I'd suggest you give them a try even if you have to order them on-line.

:)
For some reason, Lifesavers candies are hard to find in the States, too, as well as Charms. They were very good. Maybe the companies have been bought out or gone out of business. The Regal Crown hard candies are excellent, though.

#41 ·
About ten years ago The MAN thought it might be cool to distribute one of the Surprise Bags that are sold in convenience stores to tricksters on Halloween:

But we then decided we could do a better job making up our own treat bags (sadly plastic bags as opposed to more traditional paper) which would include little toys as well as candies. We did gender specific ones by adding plastic dinosaurs to the boys' bags and plastic unicorns or winged horses to the girls' bags. (I know, I know, so sexist.) Here are some pictures we took in past years:

Boys' Treat Bags 2014

Girls' Treat Bags 2014

Boys' Treat Bags 2015

Girls' Treat Bags 2015

That's another member of my household posse, Scout, auditing the contents of the bags to make sure The MAN and The WOMAN didn't forget anything.

#49 · (Edited)
I can't remember when I last saw them in the little sticks/rolls either. It could have been years ago but I haven't been looking for them. Hershey seems to have decided to make them available only in bags:

The Jolly Rancher candies remind me of Charms. Are Charms still widely available in the States?

They're very tough to find in Canada. Even specialty candy shops seldom have any.

Life Savers are no longer easy to find in rolls in Canada either, and they're only available in Assorted Fruit, Wint-O-Green and Pep-O-Mint flavours. Can you still get Butterscotch Life Savers in the States?

Whenever I break down and buy a whole bag of Wint-O-Green or Assorted Fruit Life Savers though, I find them highly addictive and raze through them very quickly:

If however you really like the Grape Jolly Ranchers, I'd strongly suggest you track down Regal Crown Sour Grape:

They're British but they were widely sold in Canada back in the 1970's and I used to buy the Sour Cherry and Sour Grape all the time until they disappeared sometime in the 1980's. They're really good and I'd suggest you give them a try even if you have to order them on-line.

#58 ·
🤨... So this is what happened to the world... Where my '80s people at?

5. Pick your fave chocolate. Extra points if they're the Hallowe'en branded version.

Product Font Material property Rectangle Magenta

3. (I don't give a care...my Dad would pick these up at a Canadian Tire. Slow release energy tubes that teachers have come to FEAR). Still have some from '85 and they're still good
Food Rectangle Font Confectionery Magenta

Font Food Circle Electric blue Event

1. (You're welcome)
Medicine Rectangle Font Sweetness Lipstick

Booyah.

#60 ·
I'm partial to Hershey bars (plain), Reese cups and Kit Kats. I absolutely despise Zero bars (do they even make them anymore?) as my great-grandmother had a candy drawer and it was always a sad day when there was nothing but Zero bars left.

#65 ·
When I was a kid in the 80s, my favorite Halloween candy was Lifesavers. People gave out 5-piece rolls (5 flavors) and whenever my parents let me have a piece of candy after Halloween, I chose those first. (My brother and I each had our own bowl on the counter for trick or treat candy we collected, and they would often last until almost Thanksgiving).

I still like Lifesavers, but I also now love the fun size Hershey bars and M&Ms. I keep them out in a candy dish all month and they're great for a small treat! I also like trying out new candy each year that claims to be caramel apple-flavored.

#67 ·
I already answered back in 2021 since this was a 2021 thread & I'm still staying with 3 Muskateers (Muskafears for Halloween) but I happened upon a new one last year....Snickers Peanut Brownie. Came in Halloween packaging but this is the every day one:
Food Rectangle Font Chocolate bar Confectionery

While I don't dislike Snickers, I just don't buy them but this sounded interesting & it was delicious. Just got one at the store the other day. The bag of fun size bites is almost $5 & doesn't buy much so hopefully a coupon will be floating around come Halloween. They also have a Almost Brownie & just noticed it was dark chocolate so I'm going to see if I can find one today & try that.

Was going to ask Hepcat a ? but since I haven't seen them on here since 2021, I'll just throw it out there....Hepcat posted about Love Hearts. I recall them many years ago & kinda fizzed in your mouth. I loved them but the disappeared. Our Conversation Hearts taste nothing like them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.