Halloween Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I will say I really liked the Yum Earth allergen free treats I bought last year. I have some ToTs with limitations, so it means I discovered their delicious gummies and lollipops
My kids are big fans of these too! I still keep a sandwich bag of the lollipops in our car even though my kids are older now. They save me on the "got the gimmies"!

·
Registered
156 Posts
My favorite are the boxes of full size candy bars that Costco puts on sale every year. I over buy knowing I can return the unopened boxes. That way I don't stress about running out and the kids love the big bars.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's not for handing out to ToTers, but I love the gummy fangs that Target sells every year. Always stock up with several packages. I like dark chocolate Snickers, Reeses Pieces, junior mints, and raisinettes, none of which is easy to find in ToT mixes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I was a kid, I loved getting those strips of white paper with the rows of colored candy buttons; the candy-coated chocolate balls that came in little cellophane tubes that were sort of like m-n-m’s; chocolate b-b bats; Cracker Jacks; Pixy Sticks; double lollies that tasted like Sweet Tarts; Krackel; mini plastic coffins with Sweet Tart-flavored bones inside; Mounds; Chewy Sweet Tarts; watermelon Jolly Ranchers; Lik m Sticks; and M-n-m’s.

Everything with peanut butter, nuts, licorice, Necco Wafers, & wax was up for trading. I got the heebie jeebies from those marshmallow ice cream cones.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Love this topic!

When I was a kid my favorite was those little white and chocolate striped nutty candies that were basically Butterfinger-ish.

Today, my favorites are 100 Grand and KitKat. Gotta be simple!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I'm always the odd lady out. I love Muskateers. Re-labeled 1 year as Muskafears & the nougat was supposed to be red but it wasn't as red as I would have liked it to be. Could hardly tell the difference.

I know a lot of people don't like candy corn but a past co-worker taught me years ago to mix it with Planters Spanish Peanuts & eating them together tastes just like a Payday.

Also for nostalgia's sake, when I was little, all the neighborhood kids loved going to the very old guy's house; "PJ". He had tons of coffee cups on a table filled with "penny candy" & dumped it into our bags.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My favourites are the same treats I shell out on Halloween. That's not an accident. I know I'll be devouring the leftovers, supplemented of course by any deeply discounted sale stock from local stores!

I used to dole out one of the small bags of Humpty Dumpty Potato Chips that were sold in Halloween boxes of 25:

When the Humpty Dumpty name brand disappeared in 2006 we switched to Cheetos:

And these comparatively new Old Dutch Popcorn Twists:

In addition, in the last few years I've been giving out Halloween boodle bags with several of the following items:

Oh Henry! (which is a different bar in Canada than in the States) has been our favourite chocolate bar since Neilson Sweet Marie was discontinued some ten years ago.

:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
For me it would have to be ordinary M&Ms, KitKats, Almond Joys or Mounds (I think I like them a little more than almond joys because of the dark chocolate lol), and of course candy corn.

Since I'm allergic to peanuts, there is one that I wish came in a large bag or variety pack around Halloween - the almond snickers. It doesn't qualify as Halloween candy since it's a year round thing and isn't very common anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Now - it's Nerds! I love the little boxes of them! Next would have to be Skittles.
Yes! Nerds are fabulous! And Skittles are also excellent. But I like most sour/sweet candy including Smarties a.k.a. Rockets in Canada, Pixy Stix and Lik-M-Aid. The latter two are of course particularly good when sprinkled in (someone else's) pop. Great fizz!

My favourite of the sour/sweet genre though may be Love Hearts but I've never seen them sold in shell-out sizes:

The NECCO wafers are another favourite because of their many exotic flavours but they're only sold in Canada through specialty candy shops such as Sugar Mountain and Tutti Frutti which means at a premium price:

And of course Jelly Belly Sours:

I also consume Sour Patch Kids, Cherry Blasters and Fuzzy Peaches by the handful whenever I can find them marked down at the supermarket:

Are the above three brands widely sold in the States or are they only Canadian?

In general I'm still frozen at about the age of ten when it comes to my snack treat tastes, e.g. chocolate bars, potato chips, snack cakes, all the candies I've mentioned above. I've never graduated to the more adult preferences such as cigarettes, alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, heroin, etc. Is that a bad thing? Should I seek counselling to help me grow up?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yes! Nerds are fabulous! And Skittles are also excellent. But I like most sour/sweet candy including Smarties a.k.a. Rockets in Canada, Pixy Stix and Lik-M-Aid. The latter two are of course particularly good when sprinkled in (someone else's) pop. Great fizz!

My favourite of the sour/sweet genre though may be Love Hearts but I've never seen them sold in shell-out sizes:

The NECCO wafers are another favourite because of their many exotic flavours but they're only sold in Canada through specialty candy shops such as Sugar Mountain and Tutti Frutti which means at a premium price:

And of course Jelly Belly Sours:

I also consume Sour Patch Kids, Cherry Blasters and Fuzzy Peaches by the handful whenever I can find them marked down at the supermarket:

Are the above three brands widely sold in the States or are they only Canadian?

In general I'm still frozen at about the age of ten when it comes to my snack treat tastes, e.g. chocolate bars, potato chips, snack cakes, all the candies I've mentioned above. I've never graduated to the more adult preferences such as cigarettes, alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, heroin, etc. Is that a bad thing? Should I seek counselling to help me grow up?

Pretty much everything you mentioned is available here in Montana - but then a lot of people just consider us South Canada ( I am only about 3 hours south of the border). The only one I'm not familiar with is Love Hearts. First I've seen of them. My youngest daughter (she's 23 now) still loves the Necco wafers. We have them in most of the convenience stores around here. The last time I saw them - a couple weeks ago - I believe they were around $1.29 (US) a roll.

Another one I like is Bottle Caps. Can still find the boxes of those, and they used to have the small packs to hand out for Halloween, but haven't seen those in the last couple of years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pretty much everything you mentioned is available here in Montana - but then a lot of people just consider us South Canada ( I am only about 3 hours south of the border).
Cool! Are you a fan of the Calgary Stampeders or the Saskatchewan Roughriders? Have you ever attended one of their games?

The only one I'm not familiar with is Love Hearts. First I've seen of them.
Love Hearts are similar to Smarties/Rockets but have a very distinctive taste of their own. They have more than a hint of the taste of Barratt's Sherbet Fountains to them: Sadly the Love Hearts aren't as common in convenience stores these days as they were a few decades ago.

My youngest daughter (she's 23 now) still loves the Necco wafers. We have them in most of the convenience stores around here. The last time I saw them - a couple weeks ago - I believe they were around $1.29 (US) a roll.
They're about Cdn.$3.00 in the specialty shops here which is why I seldom go looking for them.

Another one I like is Bottle Caps. Can still find the boxes of those, and they used to have the small packs to hand out for Halloween, but haven't seen those in the last couple of years.
I'm well aware of the Bottle Caps. I don't think I've seen them for a few years but I can't say I look for them either.

:geek:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Pretty much everything you mentioned is available here in Montana - but then a lot of people just consider us South Canada ( I am only about 3 hours south of the border). The only one I'm not familiar with is Love Hearts. First I've seen of them. My youngest daughter (she's 23 now) still loves the Necco wafers. We have them in most of the convenience stores around here. The last time I saw them - a couple weeks ago - I believe they were around $1.29 (US) a roll.

Our local Walgreens has boxes of Bottle Caps most of the time. My favorite flavor is the Root Beer ones.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts