Halloween Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
My budget floats year to year. I average about $250 - $300 more when the wife isn't looking. It all depends on what is being offered at the stores and what repairs are needed to older props. This year will be on the high side with Home depot offering a skeleton horse for $200.00 each. And Target with its snake, frog lizard, bat and dogs skeletons. I know my budget is out the window for this year. My budget may float year to year, but this year it's going to sink.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Way to much! This year I fell into being one of the ones that had to have the horse ( hey I live on a ranch!) so my budget for this year is out the window as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same here.....way to much.
Last year about $600.
This year about $800, so far. (big goodies like the skeleton horse, 3 witches, more skeletons and etc...)

And I only get a hand full of the littles ones coming for candy.
I get a lot of the compliments from the neighbors.

So I really decorate because I like it !!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The "Wonders" of living in a really small town!
People would give me a wood pile, they would have me come get some old doors. "Dumpster-Dive" all day, they don't care!
All kinds of old electrical items were springing up in my early morning South yard! (Sometimes "No Thanks" to this.)
A house painter began giving me his left overs.
Then i use items that others throw away to build a display out of.
Local people seem to be thinking of me, call me to "Come Get" something at the right time... like the huge , thick piece of plexiglass that was once the protective "Face" of the Bank clock, a block away. I had to buy strong chems . to clean their paint off, "Oh,well?"
My budget was only usually including nails, screws, steel conduit, a little Bondo.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
No budget here but I'd hate to think of how much I spend during the year because I'm always picking up stuff at thrift stores. I make several things and generally don't pay full price for anything as I try and wait for a coupon or a sale but sometimes there's something that really catches my eye and I buy it at full price. Even at full price I'd say I've only spent $40 on one single item, unless you count the Dremel set I bought a few months ago or the DeWalt drill I bought for mixing paper clay. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll probably shoot for about $200-$300 out of pocket, but I also treat my cashback savings from my credit card as ancillary funding for halloween. This past year that came out to be $200. As much as I'd like to spend more, cash is a bit more tight this time around as I'm paying for graduate school out of pocket too; that's even more scary than Halloween!

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
537 Posts
BUDGET? I should probably have one. I'm guessing around $200, not including candy. I re-use a lot of materials and build most of my own decor. Shopping the clearance/discount sections at the hardware store is well worth it. I can pickup paint for under $5 a gallon, and 'damaged' plywood for $5-$10 per sheet. Planning on a capitol investment this year of 3-4 bucky skeletons, so that's going to eat up most of the budget. Not going to add too much this year. planning on re-working my fog chillers.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'd say about $40 a Saturday between August 1st and Nov 1st (with 11/1 counting as a $40 day no matter what day its on) so lets count...
13 saturdays plus Nov 1st.

14x40=$560 ... sadly ... thats probably correct with skipping some weekends and going over $40 on other weekends and I really really hope including candy and costume.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If I don't total it up, I can honestly tell my husband I'm not sure what I spent when he asks. ;)

I try to keep in mind where we are financially and just buy what we can afford. I also ask for Halloween related gifts for pretty much every gift holiday which helps build my inventory. This will be my 3rd display as a homeowner (before that I was decorating my tiny apartment balconies). A BUNCH of my budget the last few years has gone towards lighting and buying tools (drill, dremel, heat gun, etc). Now that I have most of the basics I can spend elsewhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last year budget was fill 3, 20 gallon totes. This year fill 6, 20 gallon totes. Bonus my wife has filled around 20 of the same size totes with Christmas stuff. She does Christmas I do Halloween. We meet in the middle though when it comes to what items we buy for the holiday.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It varies from year to year. Some years, I am limited and others I am afraid that the specialty item I covet will not be available the next year. I would say that I fluctuate with indoor/outdoor spending $500-$1200 per Halloween Season (July-October),

·
Registered
224 Posts
Each year my budget goes up a little bit. Last year was $400 but I'm pretty sure it was closer to $600 once everything was said and done. Year before was $200 as was the year before that. Not sure about this year's budget. I do want to build a fence to upgrade my dollar tree fence from last year. I'd say I'm behind but I didn't start my DIY projects last year until October 20!

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts
I normally hope for $500 every year but usually go over budget if I buy a big prop that year. Of course this is just Halloween season. July- Halloween. I buy and make Halloween all year round so that's not included in my budget. I went over this year with Grandin Road.

That said some years I lose my mind if their is a particular prop I'm in love with and have went up to $2500.

I'm editing..... My husband said don't lie to your friends....haha.... It's like $1,000 a year not including costumes and candy or Nov 1st clearance.
Hubby says average $4000 a year. Jan-Dec that includes Secret Reapers and gifts.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I really don't keep track but just buy what I need for building and then some prop buying. I buy all year long and get Halloween stuff closer to Halloween. I get a scene in my head and since I always have several scenes I'm building I just see something and know instantly where I could use it. Last 3 yrs. bought quite q few props to round things out. I'm gonna say probably at least $1000.00 per year. But....I am still building my haunt so it still needs a lot. I have plans on paper for what I want to achieve so I buy stuff for scenes that are not built yet.

For me a scene starts in a corner and I grow it from there always adding more to make it realistic.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts