Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was wondering what would be an average budget for a Halloween yard or home haunt for a regular homeowner? I see lots of really great home and yard haunts on here and wondered what you spend each year on Halloween. I know some people go all out and money is no object and others turn trash to treasures. So I'm kinda looking for an average for us regular folks who aren't professionals lol. This way I can justify to my Hubby that my own budget of $200 a year is actually tiny lol.

·
Registered
206 Posts
hmm..I just started last year, methinks it is the first couple of years that cost the most......at least, that's what I keep telling myself.....I've spent at least $1000 over the last 2 years.......with more to come.
:confused:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine was easily over $1000 last year and about $200 so far this year. I had built a LOT of new stuff last year though so I am hoping in the future, I am able to keep it to $200-$300.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have to keep mine down around $200 per year. I try to re-use a lot of stuff. My coffin was built out of some nasty shelves we tore out of our cellar. The aged, dirty, stained wood made it look really cool. Pallets, old fencing, etc. I dumpster dive at construction sites (I only take what is in the dumpster) for scraps of OSB, PVC, wire, lumber, foam insulation chunks. The only things I usually purchase are props like skellies and things I can get for a good deal. I don't have any animated props but I'm okay with that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's difficult to compare spending as everybody has different amounts of discretionary funds available to them with different priorities, bills, responsibilities and income.

That $200 budget can be stretched if you're able to build a lot of your own props. I'm technically and artistically challenged, so I buy all of mine. I wish I could make some of the fantastic creations I see here that are made for just a few bucks and some ingenuity.

Myself, I spend at least anywhere from $300 to $400 a year. Some years I've more than doubled that, some years I've come in under $200 for the season. It all depends on what's released by stores. Some years I want everything I see and others not a lot catches my eye enough to make me part with my cash. I'm already in $200 this year just getting things from last year that either sold out before I could purchase or I procrastinated too long. Looking at the HD skeleton horse, I think I'm about to drop another $200.

·
Registered
393 Posts
While I don't set a limit, which I probably should, I usually find that I end up spending around $600-$1000 per season - depending on the complexity of my theme and what I already have on hand.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just spent $200 on a skeleton horse so tell your husband that it's nothing...lol I haven't kept track of what I've spent this year but I've become obsessive.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
About $100-$140 for treats. II only get about 80 TOTs - but I always throw in some very very nice treats.

No set budget for decorations. I'll keep an eye out for Shiatsu massagers and other useful items throughout the year- and hit the after H-Day clearances, but really don't make a huge effort. I also keep an eye out for lighting deals throughout the year. If a big prop (like those Costco Witches) strikes my fancy, I might spring for it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't really set a hard limit, I just go with whatever's a comfortable amount. Usually it's about $200-$300 (decorations only, not counting candy). I think I spent right around $300 last year and I'm already up to that this year, but I'll probably end up returning some of the stuff I ordered online, once it gets here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone. I didn't think 200 was too bad lol;) I am starting to make more of my own props (thanks to lurking around and seeing what everyone else has made) and such to stretch the dollars for the season. I am hoping that after a few more years of build up that I can spend my budget more freely on lots of smaller items instead of just sticking to one or two main items (those props get pricey real quick). :D

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
No budget for us really, we make a lot of our own stuff but I must say we spend hundreds for sure. On top of that we likely spend $300-$400 on candy.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,031 Posts
What is this budget you speak of? lol. Honestly, I only spend a couple of hundred each year, but it's spread out over the entire year of working on projects. Mostly for things like paint, pipe, foam and other supplies. I make many of my props from found items and materials to keep costs as low as possible. I try to get the most bang for my buck by going crazy with simple, nearly free projects like plastic corpsing. Some things need to be bought though. As far as the treats go, maybe another $40-$50.

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
I don't think of it as a Halloween budget. It is more like an entertainment budget for me, working on crafts and projects I enjoy all year round. Also, I have started spending on going to haunt conventions, which is also another fun activity.

This year I spent more on project supplies and tools than on actual props or items in stores. Things like Great Stuff expanding foam, paint, PermaBlood, airbrush and compressor, Dremel tool, and different sculpting mediums.

I have been collecting scraps of styrofoam and wood all year too.

Can't promise I won't cave when they stock stores like Home Goods though. I like their Halloween stuff. :eek:

·
Registered
718 Posts
I don't think of it as a Halloween budget. It is more like an entertainment budget for me, working on crafts and projects I enjoy all year round. Also, I have started spending on going to haunt conventions, which is also another fun activity.

This year I spent more on project supplies and tools than on actual props or items in stores. Things like Great Stuff expanding foam, paint, PermaBlood, airbrush and compressor, Dremel tool, and different sculpting mediums.

I have been collecting scraps of styrofoam and wood all year too.

Can't promise I won't cave when they stock stores like Home Goods though. I like their Halloween stuff. :eek:
Good way to look at it! We go to a convention every year. Permablood is fantastic stuff! And I am screwed when HomeGoods puts their stuff out also!

·
Registered
902 Posts
It depends on what cool props I can find, but from ourhalloween party, the pumpkin carving party for the neighborhood and halloween night, it's usually around 2k, sometimes a little more or less. I've only spent approx. 550.00 on new props this year, can't find anything I really like, but that will probably change in the next month or so... lol.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts