Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me, the Monster Mash and the whole original Bobby "Boris" Pickett "Monster Mash" album is probably the reason I love Halloween so much. I still know every word to every song on the album. Who wouldn't love "Me and My Mummy," Blood Bank Blues," Graveyard Shift," etc.? The Monster Mash came out when I was a kid and it has been a part of my haunting side since then. I wore out the original vinyl album and have two more newer versions on vinyl.

I was fortunate enough to meet Bobby "Boris" Pickett a few years ago and I now have a personally autographed copy of the Monster Mash album on CD. I was saddened when he passed away not too long ago. That autographed CD is one of my prized Halloween possessions.

To me, the Monster Mash, made Halloween seem cool. The rest is history.

My first visit to Disney's Haunted Mansion was also influential, but the Monster Mash was the first major influence for me.

What was the one influence that turned you into the Halloween Enthusiast you have become? :D

Eric

·
Registered
827 Posts
Couldn't win the Christmas lights contest :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Growing up in a Missionary Baptist church i was taught evil was bad... there was no fun evil.. Halloween was bad, blah blah.. my mom always dressed up every year for school, totally embarrassing costumes i thought then.. however now i do the same thing.. HA.. The traditional candy was given, the pumpkins carved.. that was it though....

My teenage years... i started wearing black... color striped hair, people worried, small town, you know.. town kids just didnt do this... i was marked then as... different... my love started when i was told i couldnt be this way, i couldnt love halloween, i couldnt beleive in Magic, ghosts, or Ouija boards. I Never joined the church so i couldnt be kicked out.. but for ever, ive known i wasnt like everyone else around here. LOL

Now, i am considered a weird and hilarious grown up (to the kids), The adults around here just shake their heads at me as my kids think im totally awesome..(my ex thinks im a witch cause i pointed my finger at him and his truck motor blew up... honestly.. im NOT a witch)

My decorating gets more elaborate each year and the more people worry, the more fun it is.. SPITE i guess???? FUN.... and... EXCITEMENT!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
STRESS. It is an escape from it. Gives me something else to focus on besides worrying continually about stuff.
I like it because it also doesn't matter if things aren't perfect and that is a nice change too.

·
Registered
359 Posts
For me it was Its the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown. I looked forward to the night it was on every year. I tried explaining to my kids that if you werent home when it was on you had to wait a WHOLE YEAR to see it. They cant grasp that concept being they can just walk into the other room and grab the dvd and watch it any time they want..It has become tradition at our house to watch it first to kick off the Halloween season.

·
Registered
141 Posts
We had a halloween party almost every year when I was a kid, which I have to admit is unusual in the UK.

I always liked dressing up anyway.. and then I became a pagan when I was in my late teens and it became a proper holiday to me..

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,520 Posts
My birthday is exactly one week after Halloween. I always considered TOT the highlight of my birthday week.

Art/theater geek all through school. Attracted to the weird/dark side of things. :rolleyes:

Seemed a natural progression. I don't remember EXACTLY what it was, but it's definitely taken off since I've been a adult.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My inspiration for Halloween came from the Brigantine Castle as a young kid. It was a haunted castle on an amusement pier that was multiple stories high. It was very ominous looking sitting out there over the ocean. The inside was very well done and had a lot cool prop stuff including live actors.

I was devastated when the pier closed down, but even more so when the castle burnt down a little while afterward.

My love of Halloween has been passed to my daughters and they help out with everything now.

However, I wish I had a permanent residence so I could build all of the props I see on the forum and other sites. But moving every three years w/ the military and my weight limits doesn't make it feasible. We have fun and decorate the best we can every year (even overseas in Asia).

Did I mention we have more Halloween decorations than Christmas? LOL!

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
Childhood memory.

Getting picked up from school by my mother that cold october evening, it already going dark, and her taking me for a costume. Which back in the early 90s were your cheap plastic masks, witches/vampire black plastic capes, plastic fang teeth and small bottle of fake blood.

Then going TOT'ing that night and the cold briskness and that autumny smell with everyone in the street outside and dressed up.

That kind of thing only happens once a year, and now i make sure to live it fully and share the joy.

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Being an army brat and growing up all over the world, Halloween was the only non stressful and just fun Holliday of the year. Didn't have to worry about calling family stateside at 1 AM no worries about if the local Easter/Christmas service would be in English or not. no shiping presents a month ahead of time. Just pick out the costume make it and go ToTing, to a party or both! of corse walking past walled cemeteries that were a couple hundred years old every day on the way to school in Germany certainly didn't hurt my Halloween spirit

·
Registered
414 Posts
Childhood memories of homemade costumes, crispy leaves on the ground (originally from CT) and my very patient Dad who let us go to as many houses as we had the energy for, made Halloween a very happy time for me. :D When my own kids were little I made their costumes (pretty much had too since one year my son wanted to be a lobster!) and enjoyed seeing them have fun on Halloween night. Although my kids are older now and have the state hospital on speed dial, I continue to collect and enjoy Halloween...pretty much all year long. ;)

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
I never did anything in the states for halloween except for pass out candy.
Once I moved abroad and our dutch friends asked us to throw a halloween party so they could see what it was like, I was hooked. Especially after seeing how much they all really enjoyed it!
Its a chance to keep something that's really american while living in a country where I have to do so many things the dutch way!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can't really pinpoint one exact thing since I've always been very fond of Halloween for as long as I can remember. As a kid I just loved everything about it, getting dressed up as whatever you want and going TOTing, carving pumpkins, making decorations and Halloween crafts etc. It was just a very fun and whimsical time of the year. I was a very artistic child and really into art, theater, and film, so I'm sure that aspect of me added to my love of Halloween. As I got older I guess I just started to creatively take advantage of the Holiday as much as I can.

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I was a kid we always had this one house on our trick-or-treat route that would do a little bit extra to make things special. The woman who lived there dressed up as an elaborate witch and sat on her front porch handing out candy. She had a cauldron with dry ice steaming and played spooky sounds over her stereo. It wasn't much but it was the biggest thing going on in our neighborhood.

When I got older I wanted to participate in Halloween still but felt too old to trick or treat. So I started dressing up with a few friends and scaring the people who came to my house. We played spooky music and rattled chains in the back of a pickup truck. It was simple, but it was the start. :)

Today I still remember that house and I hope that someday in 20 years, someone else will remember my house and be inspired to enjoy the holiday into older age as I have.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Definitely great childhood memories - over 50 years ago now! We had a costume "barrel" in our basement that we played with all the time, putting on shows and things, but at Halloween it was the best dress up ever.

No store-bought costumes to speak of in those days and mom didn't sew either; her favorite ideas were "gypsy" and "hobo." When we were young we loved gypsy - it was quite a treat to wear mom's flouncy skirts and all her costume jewelry. As we got older we got better at creating our own costumes!

The atmosphere out treat or treating was electric - the streets were full of kids - no real fear of strangers in those days - and you kept going for as long as you could keep walking! And then all that candy to enjoy afterwards. To a kid it was like winning the lottery; FREE CANDY once a year!

I've never really stopped being the kid who likes to dress up!! :)

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would have to say it just happened naturally. Since I was a kid my brothers and I would always want to watch horror movies (even though sometimes we got our way most times we could not) and always were fascnicated by the huge cardboard Jason, Freddy etc cut outs at the video stores.

The holiday when I was young meant a time to have fun, I remember mapping out details on how we were going to trick or treat (what blocks, how long, who to go with etc) and so forth. Many memories of going to Toys R Us to by the IN costume for that year, like the person mentioned above about being able to go out with patient parents that is prety much my story and the reason Halloween was so cool.

I was always awed by the grown ups who set up haunts, even though some would scare the pants off us they were sure damn fun..and I remember local strip malls being renting out to set up Halloween scare mazes where the young teenagers would hang out and what not..in the same plaza as a video store we visited frequently as kids..

As the years went on..I remember going out during my later teen years for the heck of it with friends even though we got asked "aren't you guys a bit old"..we didn't care we STILL got candy..for a long time I just lost interested..got my car..was going to the clubs a lot you know living the fast life..but..

Just a few years ago the nostalgic memories started coming back..and people here in Canada started decorating their houses again..a lot of people around here lost interest I should mention which probably contributed to me taking a haitus from Halloween..so a few years ago I found this forum and I've conducted haunts for the past three years in a row now..I don't think I will ever lose interest again..

I attend Halloween parties as well AFTER I've conducted my haunt for the trick or treaters..the holiday is just simply amazing..the costumes..the memories..a chance to just let lose and dress up yourself..one day to BINGE on the junk food most of us hardly consume on a daily basis lol..

Great thread..I remember last year we started a thread talking about the nostalgic memories of how trick or treating was so BIG and popular in comparison to now..it seems Halloween is coming back around however..

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think it's really a bunch of things. I guess I can't really think of one. Trick or treating has always been fun, costume contests at a couple places was great to part of, later on it's been a lot of horror movies that I like to watch like Saw, Freddy, Jason, Leprechaun, Aliens, Independence Day, Poltergeist 2, Chucky, and so on; and than you have animatronics, strobe lights, just regular lights, and fog machines. I like animatronics period, I like lights also, and strobes are just so cool. I like lighting, and I like animatronics. I guess I like having pictures on walls so the liking in cutouts so much.

Don't forget about good Halloween food like pumpkin cookies, Caramel Apples, and just about any candy you want out there like Candy Corn, or bags of Trick or Treat Candy.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts