Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am getting ready to start working on my halloween props now that the weather is finally warm (mid 70s). I was curious though about the weather and drying times. Right now the humidity is relatively low and the tempature drops down to the mid to upper 50s at night. I figured this is the time to be working on my buckies but i was curious would the warmer more humid air dry the props even faster?

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used carpet latex (and paper towels) and if let them sit in the garage (about 70) they seem to never dry. I put them outside in the direct sunlight and they dried in a day or so, but are still tacky 4 weeks later.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use liquid latex which dries a whole lot faster than 4 weeks. I think i am just gonna go for it now because i think once the humidity gets higher the drying time will increase.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You shouldn't have any problem with the stain drying. I'm in Michigan and, it shouldn't be any problem doing the corpsing outside or in the garage.
Good luck and post some pics.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am planning on corpsing in about two weeks. I have 2 and a half skeletons to work with. The torso i really am going to be spending a lot of time on. I want to make sure that one looks extra gorey. I am going to apply multiple layers of latex to the panty hose to really give it a thick muscle appearance. Especially around the neck/head/jaw area.

·
Shiver me timbers
1,270 Posts
I made a bunch of latex molds for fence finials many years ago, and I sped cured them in my oven that was set on "warm". It might have cure faster, but the flack I got from my wife wasn't worth it! Everything cooked in the oven tasted like amonia for a week afterward.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Thats hilarious. I'm just gonna hang the bucky's up in the garage like i did last year and they should do alright. I just wish i knew ofa way to dry stain by hand. I thought about a blow dryer but not sure if it would be better to use hot air or cold air. Also I worry that the heat from the hair dryer will warp the plastice at all?

·
Super Moderator
5,742 Posts
I made a bunch of latex molds for fence finials many years ago, and I sped cured them in my oven that was set on "warm". It might have cure faster, but the flack I got from my wife wasn't worth it! Everything cooked in the oven tasted like amonia for a week afterward.
Been there! :D

My molds now dry in the back window of my car on nice summer days.

Any radiant heat source dries the latex quicker. I've found hair dryers and fans actually compound the problem, though, as they dry the surface, which makes it harder to dry the underneath.

Direct sunlight is your best bet at speeding something as large as a skelly. Unless you have a nifty patio heater of something similar.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmm... I do have a propane Radiant Heater that Kicks out 40k BTU. You think that'll work?

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As long as i leave the door open i could run that thing for about 3 hours and it should dry that stain and latex up just fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am planning on corpsing in about two weeks. I have 2 and a half skeletons to work with. The torso i really am going to be spending a lot of time on. I want to make sure that one looks extra gorey. I am going to apply multiple layers of latex to the panty hose to really give it a thick muscle appearance. Especially around the neck/head/jaw area.
I corpse a lot using liquid latex, and the one thing I've found that helps drying both liquid latex, and stain, is plenty of air movement. I use a 20" fan, and depending on the size of the prop, I either point it right at the prop, or in it's direction. With liquid latex, if I'm going for thickness, I allow each layer to dry completely before adding another, which doesn't take long when using a fan. I usually work in temps ranging from 70-80 degrees.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fear Engineering,

I have a fan about that same size and i will use both radiant heat to help dry it first and then use the fan afterwards to air out the garage and to also help dry the stain a little better.

·
Registered
94 Posts
if the temperature doesn't drop below about 40 F and if you are drying your latex outside Humidity shouldn't be too much of a factor. Drying latex in direct sunlight is pretty crucial though. The direct sunlight will not only dry latex faster, but will also cure the latex and make for a stronger albeit more rigid end piece.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hmmm, Maybe i will just latex my skeletons outside and stain them in the garage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts