Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Future Marine
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I was a super-active poster here starting almost 20 years ago when I was a kid. I recently started cleaning out some stuff from my parents house since my wife wanted to start gathering halloween stuff together since we are about to have our first kid. Low and behold the animatronic coffin still works (though I plan to upgrade the screen-door pistons with real pistons at some point) and I found a bin with a bunch of lighting, strobes, etc, that still seem operable. I also found the 8 channel control board/outlet setup I used to use. As I recall it was a Kit-74 parallel cable controlled controller paired with software that would allow you to program channels along with a synchronized audio track.

The desktop PC that ran it is long gone, as is the software. I don't even think I have a computer with a parallel plug on it. My parents may have something in their attic but I'd have to look around. I haven't done anything for halloween for 15+ years. Between the military, grad school, cars, guns, getting married, buying/fixing up our first house, etc, I have had zero time. Now that stuff is settling down just a little (although we have a military move next year) and we have a kid on the way my wife wants to start doing some sort of set up for halloween. One of our neighbors does a synchronized Christmas light display but when I started asking about it he had zero interest in discussing it. There must be some go-to controller/software out there now, anyone know what it is/can point me to a good thread? I Imagine it's something rasberry pi based or arduino based, but I haven't kept up closely with it. As I mentioned, I've been out of the game since I was 14 or so.

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nowadays, Light-O-Rama is what is being used for synchronized lights and music. It’s an all in one box containing controller and cords for 16 channels and many boxes can be linked together. It’s run off of Windows OS but it can also be put on an SD card. It’s what I use and from what I’ve seen the majority use. There are those more technically inclined than me who use pi and make their own boards and software but for someone who does not have the time or knowledge, LOR works great.

·
Registered
114 Posts
xLights - Mainly because its completely free, no matter how many controllers or pixels you have.
It's also frequently updated, there are countless video how-tos, and it has a massive user base that are very helpful.
There's also versions for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Once you've programmed your sequence, you can easily load it onto a Pi (there's even a special Pi OS - FPP) and run your show from that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend?
I love Venue Magic SC+ since its controlling everything. I mean, everything.
Sound, Video, Light and Relays (trough dmx)
The number of options you have with this software is amazing, and it´s easy to work with.

However, it´s not cheap. 1099 USD for the software.

Give us a budget and you will get the best answer :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
No. Definitely not a this year thing this close to Halloween. There is definitely a learning curve with it. If you are looking to do it for Christmas or next year join the light o Rama users group on Facebook. Lots of great help and you can find used controllers for sale. LOR also does a big spring sale. Make sure you wait till then before buying anything new straight from them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I vote for LOR. There is a new version out (S5) and it is quite different that S4 so if your just starting I would go with the new version. I mostly use mine for the singing monsters.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I vote for LOR. There is a new version out (S5) and it is quite different that S4 so if your just starting I would go with the new version. I mostly use mine for the signing monsters.
Can you post a picture. I’ve never seen a display where the monsters are doing sign language...🤪😜

1 - 15 of 15 Posts