Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several of these props (witch's broom, pennywise balloon, La Dame, etc) that are motorized and move across most smooth surfaces. The problem is they can fall down steps or get stuck in corners after running a few minutes. Icurrently am trying to restricted them with physical barriers but no matter what I try they will get stuck in a corner. If I build a barrier say 4' x 2' to contain them in a scene, they just get stuck in a corner quicker. I also tried a rounded raised beveled barrier where I hoped the prop would back up due to gravity rather than bumping the barrier but then they would tip over trying to go up the bevel.

I was wondering if other people used these items, how they used them, and if they control them or just let them run free till they get stuck.

La Dame Floating Ghost

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good suggestion, I made an oval type track which worked for all the props except the La Dame one. I elevated the two ends where the turns were and put a brick on the base to weigh it down and it seems to be functioning well with La Dame. I still need to paint and tweak it but at least there is a method that works.

I posted a video of the setup below

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
I've wondered this myself but not taken the time to try anything out since I wasn't using the prop yet. I have a ghost on a "roomba" (GR) and a creep clown or was it a girl doll that also roams around (from Spirit). Oh and a small tabletop broom that I redid as a feather duster when we had the Haunted Hotel theme years ago. That was easy enough since it sat on a table and it did sense drop offs. Think that one was from Frontgate years ago when they carried Halloween. For both of the larger props, I had envisioned setting up some wood lumber that would be standing on the ground on it's side and anchored to each other to form a bumper perimeter hoping that idea would work. But like I said wasn't using the prop yet and never got around to testing it out.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was how I felt, we had a broom and vacuum that we simply let run around the kitchen till they got stuck in a corner, but the La Dame and Pennywise Balloon were purchased after Halloween at half off with the assumption that I could easily contain them but it certainly was more challenging than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Not sure but I think the prop might push the hula hoop. Its something to try though.
I would think if it remained unattached to a base, a hula hoop would get pushed around by the prop. But then I was also thinking that might make it fun if the hula hoop roamed around in it's own little area as long as it and the critter didn't get bound up. The other option, which would be my fall back position, would be just to use pipe brackets to tie the hula hoop down to a specific area. We love experimenting, and since hula hoops are a buck at the Dollar Tree, and we have bunches of brackets from other projects, it would be something we'd try. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts