Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, could use people's suggestions based on your own experience about what kinds of things you feel can safely be stored in an outdoor storage locker situation without having the contents being damaged from cold, heat or mold (due to cold temperatures). BTW this is in a commercial complex of storage locker units. The unit would be an interior unit, although not heated, so it does have some protection from the elements. It's concrete floor, tall steel walls. Has 24-hour security, individually alarmed and camera surveillance. Don't plan anything of any real value to be there so more concerned about keeping what's there in good condition. Our outdoor temps run in the low 30s generally and during the summers can be in the 90-100s although the manager says the location of this unit that's available stays cooler in the summer than others. Thanks guys!

BTW we got a tour of the place and it looked immaculate and well taken care of. Floors very clean, outside area clean and they of course have rat traps and control for insect pests.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,519 Posts
Pretty much anything besides latex; masks, latex covered foam props. Foam (tombstones etc), wood, costumes, durable plastics should all be fine We use our garage which is not attached to our house to store a lot of things. Winter temps here can go below zero and summer also can hit the low 90's. WE keep masks and foam/latex props stored in the basement.
hth

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,610 Posts
Any paper ephemera (like Beistle decorations), paper mache, latex, foam, or wax should be stored in a temperature controlled space regardless of the holiday it reprsents. Everything else should be OK in a storage space.

I keep my blow molds outside in our garage & they've been fine for many years now.

I keep all my glass Christmas ornaments stored inside, especially old mercury glass. Not that I have ANY Christmas stuff outside in the garage(except for the blow molds & the few other outdoor decorations we have) but we used to have some of it in the attic many years ago & now keep it all in a room in the basement that has heat & air.

Really, anything you'd worry about if it weren't within "shouting distance" should be kept closer to home no matter what it's made of or how great the storage space & company happens to be.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So would cardboard boxes be okay or will they get damp and musty smelling? I have allergies so could be an issue. I'm thinking for example some prop boxes and inflatable's cardboard boxes--still have original boxes for a number of my things still. So costumes, wigs etc would be fine in plastic bins?

Really appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
629 Posts
An actual pay for use Storage Facility shouldn't be damp enough to cause issues for cardboard boxes. If you're concerned about that though simply wrap a trash bag around the bottom of the box where it touches the floor. The floor is where boxes would pick up any moisture. Plastic bins would be fine for your wigs & costumes.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't forget to take the batteries out of stuff too. The changing temps may not be good for them.
Good point. I've been going through some prop boxes and found a few batteries I've missed. It's nice to have manufacturers include them so you can try out a prop immediately but kind of wish if they gave batteries to you that they at least weren't installed. Removing all the little screws to check the compartment is rather a PITA! And worse sometimes is trying to put everything back in the box it came in. I have John Doe prop that I KNOW all fit in the box at one time LOL.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,610 Posts
If the battery compartment stays shut without the screw & the thing still works, regardless of what it is,I throw away that stupid, minuscule screw right in the trash.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I store all my skeletons and other hard plastic, resin things in the bin room of my barn loft along with of course, any exterior decorations and they do fine. I’d say anything that mice would find unpalatable or that can’t freeze and break would be fine in the storage locker.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Most of my Halloween supply is stored outside in a container. I keep anything that has latex, liquids, or electronics ( pneumatic controllers and such) inside and heated. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow kind of shocked to see how many people put things in storage not inside their house. Thanks for all the replies. Definitely given me some thoughts on what I can store. I know I'm not going to want to keep going back and forth to the locker to bring stuff back right away so still working on a realistic plan on what will go there and what will stay. Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
273 Posts
All of my stuff goes into storage except candles. I do remove all batteries and most stuff is in storage totes. Some of the larger props are still in their original boxes but they are off the floor as silver fish love cardboard. I don't stack totes more than two high since they want to collapse after awhile. They are all on wood storage shelves. Everything seems to fine even after years of storage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts