Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My parents do a mix of candy in treat bags.

My mantra for ToT candy is buy the candy that you wouldn't mind having for leftovers.

"Oh, no, a whole bunch of Nerds (or Milky Ways or whatever your fancy) leftover. Darn, guess I'll have to eat them." *wink*

Haha this is me exactly! Except I never have 'leftover' candy, more like 'before' candy:p:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
This is relevant to the subject. Would kids be upset if I included water (bottled) with their treats?

I want to go all out and hand out full size candy cars, treat bags full of toys and a drink to kids but I don't want to give them more sugar so pop cans, Huggies, and Capri Suns are out. I also participate in the Teal Pumpkin Project so even if a kid can't have a candy bar, they get toys and a nice cold bottle of water.

Thoughts?
I have a water cooler/dispenser and paper cups, and it's always appreciated. Kids get thirsty.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
In the old days, handing out treats was a method of bargaining to keep your property from getting vandalized. Nowadays? Not so much. Hand out whatever treats you want that won't break the bank and call it good. At the end of the night, kids won't likely remember who gave them what.
We get lots of kids every year so the best I can do is a couple of fun-size something or others per kid. No one has ever complained and they keep coming back every year. Seriously, kids don't care.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I always loved treat bags. A couple of interesting candies and something a little more permanent. Since I feel rather strongly about the teal pumpkin project that's going to be what I do this year. A few candies, a chocolate bar, and some non- food items both for those kids who enjoy them, and for those who can't have the candy for whatever reason - diabetes, allergies etc. I tried just having a bucket of non food treats, but the kids always go for the candy.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I don't get many TOTs, if any, but I want to put out a teal pumpkin and be ready anyway. Maybe if I light it just right, early enough some people will see it and they will decide to stop by?

·
Registered
703 Posts
My parents do a mix of candy in treat bags.

My mantra for ToT candy is buy the candy that you wouldn't mind having for leftovers.

"Oh, no, a whole bunch of Nerds (or Milky Ways or whatever your fancy) leftover. Darn, guess I'll have to eat them." *wink*
Oh man, those little boxes of Nerds are the best! I can't buy ToT candy until like, 2 days before Halloween. Otherwise it'll be gone by then:eek:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Oh man, those little boxes of Nerds are the best! I can't buy ToT candy until like, 2 days before Halloween. Otherwise it'll be gone by then:eek:
Yep, candy for the TOTs is usually a October 30th purchase. However if I put it in treat bags, I might not touch it if I get it earlier. Probably get it on the 28th this year and assemble over the weekend.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Forgive me if this has already been discussed. Tried a search and didn't see what I was looking for.

What would constitute as 'good' candy for passing out for Halloween? Do you give out full/mini chocolate bars, sugary candies like skittles, or old fashioned candies like tootsie rolls and blow pops? According to my kid it's the sugary candies like skittles and sour candies that kids really want for Halloween. Usually I buy mostly chocolate admittedly because it's what I would want to eat lol.

Do you notice if kids are asking or searching in your candy dish for mostly chocolates or something else? Since we get a decent amount (50-100) TOTs I try to buy candy in advanced so it's a little more spaced out. So far I keep stocking up on bags of chocolate candies but my kiddo thinks it's a mistake lol :rolleyes:

Anyways I would love to hear what candies you prefer to buy and if you notice what the kids prefer!:D

I usually buy a mix of the sugary stuff and the old fashioned candies - Spree, Skittles, Blow Pops, Tootsie Rolls, etc. I don't hand out chocolate since it's too pricey.

We get roughly the same amount of trick or treaters as you do, so I usually buy 3 or 4 large bags and give each kid a decent sized handful of candy. I usually only let the really little kids actually pick out their own candy (or when it's the end of the night and I'm almost out anyway, I'll let them just grab it or I'll dump what's left in some kid's bag). I've never noticed anyone rummaging through the candy dish when I do let them take their own candy, though.

This year I'm pre-filling little mini candy buckets in advance to pass out, while they last. I'm going to have about 50 buckets or so, if I can find some more of them at Target.

When I was a kid I liked chocolate, but I always wanted the sugary or sour candies, personally.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like handing out the orange Halloween Kit Kats and the Reeces Pieces with monster illustrations on the packs. Goodies with packaging unique to Halloween that you can only find this time of year. Even those little water bottles with the goblins and witches on them are cool. Also, my co workers look forward to the General Mills Fruit Roll Ups. Frankenberry and Boo Berry roll ups are always a hit as well as Count Chocula Breakfast bars!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Those three certainly do taste the best:p;)

"..........you would be wise to forget mentioning anything and everything with the word 'fun' in regards to the size:rolleyes:
bahahaha That's awesome!

This year I will avoid buying anything taffy like; starburst, tootsie rolls, etc. Lucky me, I've been introduced to the world of spacers as my kid begins the orthodontic process (yay :eek:) along with several other of his friends.

I do agree, anything with nuts tends to go into the yuck pile. lol Every kid is different so I think variety is the best bet. :)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts