Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has already been discussed. Tried a search and didn't see what I was looking for.

What would constitute as 'good' candy for passing out for Halloween? Do you give out full/mini chocolate bars, sugary candies like skittles, or old fashioned candies like tootsie rolls and blow pops? According to my kid it's the sugary candies like skittles and sour candies that kids really want for Halloween. Usually I buy mostly chocolate admittedly because it's what I would want to eat lol.

Do you notice if kids are asking or searching in your candy dish for mostly chocolates or something else? Since we get a decent amount (50-100) TOTs I try to buy candy in advanced so it's a little more spaced out. So far I keep stocking up on bags of chocolate candies but my kiddo thinks it's a mistake lol :rolleyes:

Anyways I would love to hear what candies you prefer to buy and if you notice what the kids prefer!:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I always buy a variety. Plenty of chocolate, because that's always popular, but also some smarties, starburst, halloween-themed gummies (my favorite!), and skittles for the less chocolately-inclined. lol

I tend to go with a 60-40 ratio. The 60% being chocolate. I get the mini candy bars, and the cheap themed crisp chocolate coins because they look fun in the bowl.

Sometimes I like to throw little party favor type toys from the dollar store in there too, like the plastic spider rings or eyeball bubbles. Some kids know their parents won't let them keep much of the candy, so they go for the toys.

I stopped putting in hard candies like dum-dums because that's what's always left over in the bowl.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Variety is the best IMO, it's great to see a wide range of treats. When i went Tot, I was given a large size candy many times because I put in a lot of effort. I thought that was cool. If i did give out candy i would reserve the big ones as special if it looked like the person put a lot of effort into their costume. I also got soda cans.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm going with Reese's peanut butter cups, Starburst, Laffy Taffy's, rubber snakes, glow sticks and pirate coins.

·
Registered
702 Posts
We buy normal chocolate variety bags (milky way, snickers, and whatnot) but we also buy a larger bag of older candy (tootsie rolls, smarties, dots, etc). I don't know what kids like more, but I can say they're happy regardless because I pass it out by the handfull, haha.

I really like Godcrusher's idea of making treat bags though! Perhaps this year we'll do that.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I'm going with Reese's peanut butter cups, Starburst, Laffy Taffy's, rubber snakes, glow sticks and pirate coins.
Those three certainly do taste the best:p;)

Candy is candy to most children, plus no type will satisfy every greedy little snot who darkens your doorstep:D If you do not want to incite a riot here, you would be wise to forget mentioning anything and everything with the word 'fun' in regards to the size:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I do treat bags too with a variety, but mostly chocolate. I don't get the skittles thing, maybe its the colors??? Also, I do a few bags with no nuts in case of kids with nut allergies.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,397 Posts
I always loved getting the full sized stuff, whether it was a Milky Way or a full roll of Necco Wafers, as a kid & for the first time in, well, most of my life, we're at a place that we can afford to do it & I enjoy it too.

Since I was a kid we always gave away treat bags. It made it easy to count the ToTers, so since that's what we did when I was kid that's what I've always done. The big difference now is that I can afford full sized candy bars & bigger bags!!

So now each bag gets one of those plus some sort of gum, Pixie Stix (because what kid doesn't love PURE SUGAR!!!), sometimes a Pez dispenser, & usually some sort of gummy candy along with various other non-candy treats like stickers, tattoos, little toys from Oriental Trading, that sort of stuff.

Every year there some young kid who is new to the ToT game, a toddler or younger, will come along with a bag or container that's too small for my treat bag to fit so I tell the parents they gotta get step up their game next year!! I've thought about getting some larger bags at the dollar store or OT & having them as back up for those little ones.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,099 Posts
I've referenced this candy trading 'guide' on the forum before, but I think this question may warrant another go around.

Personally, I think it's largely accurate as well as entertaining!

If nothing else, it's full of strident positions, and always seems to generate some discussion. :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'll second the Reeses peanut butter cups. Being a chocolate lover myself as a kid I was always happy to get the fun sized candy bars and not just 1 smarties, 1 mini tootsie roll etc. I saw a lot of that as everyone went out back then. I do treat bags now myself too but I do notice if I offer a variety and let the kids choose the reeses are always the first to go. Going through my grandkids I would have to say fun sized snickers must outsell everything 2 to 1.

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
We run a 'take one' buffet with full size mix of the sugar, chocolate, potato chips, and soda.

It's a pretty even split amongst the kids what gets taken 'first', with a slight soda preference among teens. Regular M&Ms, if in one of the full size mixes we buy, are almost universally last among the chocolate. Everything else is fairly random.

·
Registered
224 Posts
This is relevant to the subject. Would kids be upset if I included water (bottled) with their treats?

I want to go all out and hand out full size candy cars, treat bags full of toys and a drink to kids but I don't want to give them more sugar so pop cans, Huggies, and Capri Suns are out. I also participate in the Teal Pumpkin Project so even if a kid can't have a candy bar, they get toys and a nice cold bottle of water.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

I have a big cauldron that we mix all our candy into, and it's typically Snickers, Kit Kat, Reese's PB Cups, Baby Ruth, Butterfinger, Skittles, Smarties & Blow Pops. Then I have another much smaller bowl that is for little toys, stickers or tattoos, and if I can find a bag of candy that says "made in a nut free facility", I add that too. That way, the peanut-free wrapped candy won't even touch the other wrapped candy. If we have any little kiddos or someone with allergies, they have options too.

I try not to get those teeny tiny smaller-every-year bags of "fun size" :mad: candy, but if some sneaks in there, we always let the kids take a handful anyway. Our nieces & nephews who are still young enough to stop by & ToT, as well as our neighbors that we know, will all get full size stuff. But everyone else gets a handful or two of goodies.

Personally, I buy 2 bags of the Take 5 bars, which are the favorites of myself and a few friends, and we put that out of the reach of the ToTers! Mwah ha ha ha ha!

HopelesslyInsane - I think offering bottled water is great, even if it's the small bottles. I think a lot of kids get thirsty while they are out & about, so they might not all take one, but if you say "And you can take a water bottle too", I bet you will have a lot of takers!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
I do treat bags, as well. Usually some kind of candy or two, a small Halloween toy and some Halloween sticker sheets. This year for candy I went with Hershey bars and Kit Kats (The double stick ones, not the single stick ones, lol) I like to do the treat bags so I can count the ToTs, they are cute and fun, and it's simply just easier to pass out. Another reason I do treat bags is they get something other than candy, as well, which is good for if the parents take some of the candy away for any reason (too much sugar, allergies, they eat the candy themselves, ect, lol.)

Other candies I have gone with, besides Kit Kats and Hersheys, over the years are Reeses, Starbursts, Twix, Three Muskateers, Crunch Bars...even Pixie Stix...you know, the stuff I like to eat, myself, hahaha! If I find a fun, Halloween themed candy for a good price, I'll sometimes get those, too...such as little bags of candy bones, ect. It varies from year to year for me...whatever looks interesting and I can get for a good price.

This year, I will, sadly, have to have smaller treat bags, due to moving into a new neighborhood that has way, way more ToTs than we are used to...and we don't exactly have lots of money lying around. Once we see how this year goes, I will be able to better figure what I need for next year...plus I can hit the after Halloween sales for lots more toys and random bag fillers!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Last year we did treat bags consisting of half a dozen mixed bits of candy ranging from chocolates to sherbet bottles a small Halloween toy and a glow stick bracelet

Nearing the end of the night I just gave the TOTs extra so we didn't have much left over.

Me as a TOT many moons ago I was happy with anything. But I guess some kids have higher expectations nowadays than I used to have lol.

t

1 - 20 of 41 Posts