Halloween Forum banner

What I Learned - 2015

1481 Views 15 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  chaoscat
Didn't see a thread dedicated to this yet. So I'll start.

1. Rusty old chains make wonderful wind tie-downs! I draped them over my tombstones and crisscrossed them over coffins to keep the wind from destroying my lighter props. Not only did it work, but the look was perfect... especially over the coffins! I'll be doing this from now on. MUCH easier than tying off to stakes and super fast to take down.

2. I will finally get a better system in place for organization. While my stuff is all back inside- it is not yet put away. I vow to organize as I put away and inventory everything as I go. I really see how a huge plan-ahead is invaluable. Thanks to all who've suggested organizing tips throughout the year. Muuuaaah!

What was your take-away from 2015 Halloween?
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
872 Posts
Didn't see a thread dedicated to this yet. So I'll start.

1. Rusty old chains make wonderful wind tie-downs! I draped them over my tombstones and crisscrossed them over coffins to keep the wind from destroying my lighter props. Not only did it work, but the look was perfect... especially over the coffins! I'll be doing this from now on. MUCH easier than tying off to stakes and super fast to take down.

2. I will finally get a better system in place for organization. While my stuff is all back inside- it is not yet put away. I vow to organize as I put away and inventory everything as I go. I really see how a huge plan-ahead is invaluable. Thanks to all who've suggested organizing tips throughout the year. Muuuaaah!

What was your take-away from 2015 Halloween?
I'd love to see an example of how you used the chains to hold the tombstones. I really struggled with that this year. I've tried bamboo stakes, fishing line, bricks, you name it. I don't have the carpentry skills to make plywood stones so mine are Styrofoam.

I also vow to super organize on the tear down this year! I get so sick of wandering around looking for silly things like tea lights and gorilla tape while I doing last minute checks. The biggest challenge is weeding out stuff I don't use or is damaged but still in my inventory - who knows why. The biggest challenge is the costumes. Do I inventory by theme or by type of clothing? Where do I PUT it all. I'm determined to figure that out once and for all this year.

One of the biggest things I (finally) learned this year is to let things go that I just don't have the time or resources to pull off. I usually poster the neighbourhood and put an ad on Kijiji (sort of like Craig's List). This year, both time and the weather conspired against me and I just didn't get the posters up. Did it matter? A couple local people mentioned they hadn't seen my posters but my online ad brought people from areas of the city that I would never have reached before. We had more people than the last few years so either our reputation is growing or people just rely more on online resources.

I also had a number of life sized figures that I wasn't able to pull together and my front yard wasn't as full as other years. But letting go of those things meant I wasn't working on Halloween props and setup in the dark on October 30. Nobody knows what I didn't do. That was a huge lesson to learn.

The final lesson is do things right the first time. It's tempting to say, "That should hold," or "That's good enough" but when you end up redoing things, both big projects and irritating little tasks, that's just dumb.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.