Halloween Forum banner

What I Learned - 2015

1475 Views 15 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  chaoscat
Didn't see a thread dedicated to this yet. So I'll start.

1. Rusty old chains make wonderful wind tie-downs! I draped them over my tombstones and crisscrossed them over coffins to keep the wind from destroying my lighter props. Not only did it work, but the look was perfect... especially over the coffins! I'll be doing this from now on. MUCH easier than tying off to stakes and super fast to take down.

2. I will finally get a better system in place for organization. While my stuff is all back inside- it is not yet put away. I vow to organize as I put away and inventory everything as I go. I really see how a huge plan-ahead is invaluable. Thanks to all who've suggested organizing tips throughout the year. Muuuaaah!

What was your take-away from 2015 Halloween?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· His name is Roger Clyne
10,953 Posts
I learned that I don't have to kill myself putting out tons of stuff when some hay bales with all my fake pumpkins will do. Granted I think I've got 50+ fakekins now (with some pumpkins yet to carve) but still, I don't need the cemetery (the wind doesn't like it much anyway), the figures, the groundbreakers, Hallowindow, etc.

I grabbed some of those window silhouettes, put those on the BR windows, & didn't do Hallowindow this year at all. I don't miss the projector being in the way either.

10,953 Posts
I agree RCPM are the best band no one is listening to. Been listening to them since they were the Refreshments! Great band!!!!!!
YAY!! Another Peacemaker!!

Anyhoo, yep, did just the pumpkins. Ok, that's not quite the truth, I put the pose n stays in the cars with the old Ben Cooper/Collgeville masks on them, hung another 3 Walgreens skellys in the tree, put the skelly fish I got from Target in the pond (they float!!).

I think the key to the pumpkins was having them all grouped together. It's a pretty cool sight.

For the first Halloween ever I didn't feel like I was running around crazy town, working on details, making sure this guy looked right, propping up stuff that had blown over, etc. I just decided not to kill myself & yet I still slept until 10AM, got up got something to eat & went back to bed until 2PM.

But I blame that on the in-laws. They came over & didn't leave until 10PM so we didn't get everything down as quickly as usual. Usually by 9PM we start breaking down & are done by 10 but not this year. But it still didn't take us long.

10,953 Posts
I have decided to go in the direction of the pumpkin display. I enjoy the carving & the reactions to them. I'm not ready to sell it all off yet & I'll still decorate like crazy inside because that's for me (& it doesn't seem like Halloween until I see certain things up in the house), but outside, I'm sticking to the fake pumpkins.

I also want to make some more mache-kins. Either the Stolloween types or something else all together, I want things I made out there too. Plus they're cheaper & easier to make & if I want to do them in February I can because you can't find the foam ones in February.

I'm the same way with Christmas, if I don't see the mantle decorated with the "right" things then it's not Christmas. I could have the tree up & decorated but without Mr. & Mrs. Claus, the white Santas on the mantle & my aluminum tree on another table it's not Christmas.

If we ever get off our butts & have a party then I'll go full throttle on other stuff but until then I'm good with the pumpkins.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.