Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bringing the Dead to Life
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just got finished with my newest prop build. I've been wanting to make a coffin for some time now, but I never thought I could pull it off. It looked way too intimidating. Boy, was I wrong! It is actually way easier than it looks. I have had Scare FX's tutorial on how to make them out of 15 fence pickets (here) laying around for a while. So, I got the fence from Lowe's last night, and started on the coffin at around 11:00 this morning. I just got finished around 4:00. So, it took me about 5 hours. Time flies when you're listening to Hauntcast, btw. So now I can check this project off the list. I still have 56 more props to make and only 90 days!:eek:

Here are some crosses for the cemetery, made from the scrap wood (just have to add some twine and moss):

·
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those look good! Are the fence pickets treated (like patio wood would be)? Trying to talk Mr. Ween into making one that could double as storage in the 'off' season.
Yeah, the wood is pressure treated. They didn't have any untreated wood at Lowe's, or I would have used that, since the pressure treated wood has a green tint (you can see it better in person, didn't really show up in the pics).

·
Registered
141 Posts
coffin

Very cool coffin, great toe pincher! I think you should dab on whatever color paint you would like w/rags, (like brown, black, gray) or all three. Then get dirt/mud and smear it on it so it looks like it was dug up. You can always brush the mud off so only a little stays on the coffin. You can also distress it by throwing chains against it to get that nice weathered beat up look if you wish. Ive seen the chains thing done on home decorating shows to weather a piece of furniture to make it look very old. You can also rub some spagnum moss, or cori on it to age it as well.

Are you going to put some beat up/old fabric in it bf placing a prop in it? You can also stretch the fabric out by stapling it really tight. That way ur prop doesnt sink all the way down into the coffin. We had to do that so you could see the prop better. We use distortia prop in ours for now.

The best part of the coffin is sticking your a fav prop in it. Yeah! I like pneumatic scary props, but we dont have one :( Its like pulling teeth to get help from my husb to do new prop proj. Although the home made props are always the best/get the most compliments. I wish he was into the big 'H' more.
Here is our prop. Its a few yrs old now and kinda beat up, just from bringing it up/putting back in the basement every yr. That can give the ole coffin a nice worn look too. Good luck w/ur coffin, let us know what ur gonna put in it.

·
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Zombiegirl1,
Thanks for all the tips. I'm definitely going to do something to it to age it before halloween, and your coffin looks great, too. I just ordered a pneumatic kit and boo box from fright props to make the lid pop open, so that's what's going in it this year, but I'll probably put a corpse in it next year, and use the boo box for another prop in 2010.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow, just checked out ur website, I dont think you need any help w/all the cool props you have done! Love all your projects wow!! Was ur house on a tv program about extreme hallow? It looks somewhat familiar, but I could be wrong.
I think home made proj are much better than store bought bc they are 1 of a kind and you can put your own spin on them. I wish I was able to build more props, but we usually just do 1/2 props a yr. They are taking over the basement. We've only done a doll head lights, fence, an fcg, and a movable full length prop (hes the best bc hes posable and we change costume every yr. We like to decorate the roof/2nd story of our house as well. He always scares the kiddies, bc they dont see him at first. They think he is a real person. Usually his 1 arm/hand is outstretched too, but not in that pic. He is usually over the porch roof right above the front door.

Our fcg looks better now. Her eyes light up, and she has longer/more flowing gauze too. That was a really bad pic of her. She's the neighborhood fav.

Im gonna try these ghosties, they look easy to make! Keep up the good work. Love your website. Wish I had one for H.

I am going to try to make these ghosts bc I think they would be a quick easy project.
Now youve done it! Youve got me thinking about Halloween now. I feel like making something.....

Make a Ghost for Halloween : Holidays and Entertaining : Home & Garden Television

·
Registered
648 Posts
Nice job.
Two years ago I add casters to one end and a drawer pull handle to the other.
Makes it much easier to move the coffin around by yourself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts