Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - part of this post is in relation to my other one, of Events in the Manchester UK area.... so the start of the posts will be the same! Just read on....

I usually start the "Halloween in the UK" thread, but someone beat me to it in the last couple of years, so this is my contribution this time around! This thread can also contribute to the facet we have had a change of heart on Halloween recently, love to hear your stories too.

MY buddy, OMGDan, and I always put on a haunt. Each year gets bigger and better, with last year we made a sort of walk though haunt in the front yard of a friends house (we typically do a different house each year, so to spread the hallows love) Ill post pics of it when I find them.

So last year was the first time we stuck to the same house two years in a row. The first year at this new house (of of our best friends girlfriends house) was a success. ITs a big house in a nice area, and people didnt see us coming. Soon, word of mouth got around that there was some guys doing "something big" at this house.... and the night was full of TOT's .... we even got some TOT's from areas of our previous haunts, coming to see us when they realized our new location! It was tiring, but fun.

Every year, its awesome to hear that the houses we do the haunts at (family and friends houses) always get people thought the next few months, and the months leading to the next Halloween, asking if we will be back.... 2013 was no exception, so for once, we decided to return to the same house in 2014.

But it kind bombed.

It was our biggest and best yet. I put A LOT of effort into the day, but we didn't get too many visitors. Don't know why. It was very odd.

So this thread is to ask this...... after last years disheartening, in a kind of rage, we threw out loads of decorations and props we gathered over the years, saying "we're too old" (now 28) and "its time to let someone else try" and vowed not to do a haunt this year.

So, has anyone else experienced this? What kind of Halloweens have you had in the UK? After we get so much positive feedback and hype.... what the hell happened ?!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
28? Seriously 28? You kids today are just too used to instant gratification. :) I think one of your issues might be you're constantly moving around. I've never heard of doing that before. Most folks set up shop at one location and word of mouth keeps people coming back year after year and the crowd grows exponentially. We had a HUGE crowd at our old house four years ago, and then we moved. The first year we had maybe 30 people come by. The next year we hand easily twice that number. Doubled it again the next year, and last year we were overrun.

I think a lot of Halloween's popularity is based on tradition, like going to "that house" or seeing "those decorations" and to provide that you need some consistency from year to year, so I would stay at that same house and start getting folks used to going there.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think its growing every year. For the last couple of years we have gradually done more (doing much more this year) and seem to get more, but much of it depends on the weather (though it was a fantastic night last year, dry and not too cold) and also if there is anything else going on. With it being a friday night last year more people would have held parties (more people do evey year) and there could have been a big one near you at a school/college/ youth centre.

To make sure we have a few more visitors than last year I think I may put something on a few of the local facebook groups, but I think the smoke, sound effects and props visible from a distance may help.

If its something you enjoy, do it anyway for whoever shows up, if not dont. And dont judge your success by the numbers that show up, judge it by the happiness/shock/scardness you have on whoever does.

Last years night was complete when we heard a kid saying to his dad they didnt want to knock on our door as it was too scary and a Mum saying that she thought the effort we made was great and she wished more people made an effort.

It only takes one Toter to make your year.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My numbers are going up each year gone from 11 5 years ago to 84 last year. My house is away from the main road and and most people are over the age of 60 only one other house puts Halloween stuff out. But as new people have move in with young children the numbers are going up. One person near me puts up signs telling the children what number to go too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
From what I've seen it is growing every year in the UK but it also seems to be a bit hit and miss geographically.
I moved house three years ago, our old street was covered in trick or treaters every Halloween, I loved it. The new place however is the opposite, I've seen three of four per year since we moved and the streets around us are 90% devoid of Halloween decorations..............BUT, if you spend 2 minutes crossing the A248 all the streets there are covered in Halloween paraphanalia and the ToTers abound.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think Bruzilla hit the nail on the head...kids discover which houses/areas to go too to trick or treat and if you move around it just makes it harder for them to find you,coupled with our wonderful weather (who wants to go looking for that awesome house in the rain). I personally think Halloween's growing so much in popularity...15 years ago it was a task to find even a decent looking window cling,today i can go out and find wreaths,skeletal animals, lights in every colour etc etc
The first year i decorated (just one window cling and spiders on the porch roof) i was the only house did anything,every year more neighbours do something be it only a pumpkin but they are participating!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know what you guys mean - its not a normal practice, but the face that SO LITTLE people actually bother, and the fact we go so overboard (we too have kids that wont come to the door as its so scary) we try to share to love.... give a little of the experience to as many kids as possible

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that and the fact both our houses are on street with literally NO TOT'ers ....we have to "borrow" other peoples houses!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi thatguycraig. I'm in the same area/town as you and we get quite a few kids going round. I think Halloween is growing in the UK and you should keep on decorating, its part of the fun.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Y'know I think the same thing is happening over here in the States. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older, but I don't see as many people interested in traditional Halloween activities anymore. Adults have parties, kids go to things like "Trunk or Treat" or have them get candy at the school instead of walking door-to-door. I feel bad because I love the holiday and don't want it to disappear. Seems to me like we've started to take all the fun and mischief out of it (parents too scared to let children out at night, teens destroying property, etc).

thatguycraig, you're definietly not too old for this. If anything, we need more people like you getting everyone back into the spirit! So you keep doing your haunts and I'll keep my fingers crossed for more TOTs :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts