Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I've been creating some brick walls from foam-board using a soldering iron. They come out okay but I think using a dremil as a small router would be better. Anyone have some good ideas about what dremel to buy?

Thanks

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,744 Posts
Reactions: AreWeThereYeti

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the risk of stating the obvious, Dremel is a good option. This one comes with the router attachment and many others... Dremel 3000 Series 1.2 Amp Variable Speed Corded Rotary Tool Kit with 25 Accessories and Carrying Case-3000-1/25H - The Home Depot It's also seems to be a variable-speed which is essential Halloween projects.

Or you can get a cheaper version and purchase the router attachment separately.
Thanks. I saw the cheaper versions of the rotary hand tools and wasn't sure if there is a real difference.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
699 Posts
I have the Wen Rotary tool from Amazon. Have been very happy with it. I did have to purchase a depth guide separately. I also use the Ryobi cordless speed saw, because I was already a cordless Ryobi owner. Downside to the speed saw is that it can be to fast, and will end up burning/melting the foam and not cutting it. When cutting is very helpful to have a fan or blower on your work to clear the dust away. Can do some pretty fine details.

·
699 Posts
I've also done some larger foam signs & carving where I've used my full size Craftsman plunge router. I like it for the control and the ability to sit evenly on the carving surface. Just put in a straight cutting bit.

12" Tall carved lettering

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,323 Posts
I've only used an Xacto knife and a foam cutter on tombstones so can't offer any insight there. I do however recommend the variable speed Dremel as I use it for many hobbies and wouldn't hesitate to buy another if my current one dies.

·
Registered
79 Posts
For use on foam, any rotary tool should be fine - look at the accessories (plunge kit, etc) to decide. If you want to also use it on wood, then it might be best to stick to name brands for motor power

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,744 Posts
The hubs stuck a square piece of plexi to my dremel router bit too, contains all the pink stuff from flying everywhere and easy to vacuum up. Just a tip
Sorry, I don't follow. Can you elaborate or post a pic? An attachment that helps collect or reduce foam bits would be pretty huge. Foam bits are one of the main reasons I don't bother making my own stones. It's a royal pain to hold a vacuum hose in close proximity for collection. I have tried to rig one up in close proximity, but it's not easy.

·
699 Posts
Sorry, I don't follow. Can you elaborate or post a pic? An attachment that helps collect or reduce foam bits would be pretty huge. Foam bits are one of the main reasons I don't bother making my own stones. It's a royal pain to hold a vacuum hose in close proximity for collection. I have tried to rig one up in close proximity, but it's not easy.
@The Joker , I've actually duct taped the shopvac to the backside of my router when doing the large foam carving. When doing the detail I have either a box fan or my portable Ryobi fan in close proximity to clear away the foam bits as I go. The Ryobi fan is nice because of the sturdy base and tilting fan.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,744 Posts
@The Joker , I've actually duct taped the shopvac to the backside of my router when doing the large foam carving. When doing the detail I have either a box fan or my portable Ryobi fan in close proximity to clear away the foam bits as I go. The Ryobi fan is nice because of the sturdy base and tilting fan.
Well, that's definitely an interesting approach. Duct taping to the tool might prove to make things a little more challenging, but I like the idea of a fan. Set up a fan on one side, and the shop vac on the other with the wide tool that helps vacuum floors. Fan blows the bits across into the shop vac's suckability. It won't catch everything, but heck, if it catches 50% to 75% that be pretty good. Thanks for the tip and idea!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,

I've been creating some brick walls from foam-board using a soldering iron. They come out okay but I think using a dremil as a small router would be better. Anyone have some good ideas about what dremel to buy?

Thanks

View attachment 747064
I used soldering irons before. It is a slow, painful way to make something this big. Harbor Freight has the Drill Master Rotary tool kit and 80 Accessories. Its $9.99 don't waste your money on it. Its garbage.

They do have Chicago Electric Variable Speed Rotary Tool Kit. You get 31 Accessories. This is a pretty good tool. I use it all the time from Halloween stuff to working on my car. To power and can handle pretty much anything. You can pair it with the 276 pc Rotary Tool Accessory set from Warrior. Its $19.99

Also, you should check out Scary Lady Videos. She is the Queen of Foam. https://www.youtube.com/user/Scaryladyvideos/videos

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the Wen Rotary tool from Amazon. Have been very happy with it. I did have to purchase a depth guide separately. I also use the Ryobi cordless speed saw, because I was already a cordless Ryobi owner. Downside to the speed saw is that it can be to fast, and will end up burning/melting the foam and not cutting it. When cutting is very helpful to have a fan or blower on your work to clear the dust away. Can do some pretty fine details.
View attachment 747110
View attachment 747107 View attachment 747108 View attachment 747109
DAMN, that's very cool! Nice work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When it comes to foam. You have; Xacto Knife, Hot Wire Tools, Dremel, Router Tool.

• Tool - Cost $ - Job Time - Good For? - Downsides
  • Xacto Knife - Cheap - Start this Halloween you might be done with your props next Halloween. - Good for details - Keep your blades sharp not for big jobs.
  • Hot Wire - Cheap to expensive $5.00-$119.00 or more - Fast - Good for cutting and shapes, and more. - burns the foam so you have to be careful. using primer on your foam first. Letting it dry can give your more control. It will slow down your cutting tool. Most tools are small so bigger cuts. You might have to make your own.
  • Dremel - $20.00 - $149.00 - Job Time Fast - Good for cutting, carving, and more. With accessories and multiply speed settings. You can use it on lots of different props. - Downsize higher cost than the others. Some Dremels don't come with accessories or the ones you might want. Also, get ready for the foam to be all over.
  • Router tool - $49.00 -$199.00 - Fast - Good for cutting edges and making brick walls on foam. - Downside cost is more than any of the others. You are limited on what you can do than the other items. Unless you are a wood worker you may not use it for anything else.

·
699 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and bought a WEN. Now I have to learn how to use it.
Practice, Practice, Practice! play around with bits, techniques, guides and templates. Don't forget other cool (or hot) tools like heat guns, hot knives, utility knives, spray paint and acetone to cut, carve and texture your foam.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts