Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a discussion a while back with a friend of mine and we started discussing Halloween and the symbols that draw us to it (i.e full moons ,stormy nights,jack o lanters etc etc)...And we were also dissecting what it is inside of each one of us that crave those symbols...live by them and so on..SO...Tell me what draws you to Halloween and if you had the choice what kind of vision would the perfect Halloween night look like to you?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Part if it for me is nostalgia... I have great memories from childhood. Halloween is mystery, fun, chills, whispers in the dark. Another part for me is spiritual based. Halloween is the new year for me; and I begin it where I end it - focused on the ancestors, our foundation and bedrock.

The perfect halloween? Hmmm. I'll have to think on that.

·
Registered
600 Posts
For me I've always loved the creativity aspect of Halloween. The costumes, the props, the decorating .. Thinking it up and building it. Another part is, it's a carefree, non stress holiday. No perfect gifts, no huge meals, no expectations .. Just pure fun and silliness. Add to it autumn has always been my favorite time of year!

·
Registered
41 Posts
For me there is a couple things that draw me to Halloween. It gives me a chance to be creative with really no limits or constraints. Plus there is the props and devices that bring out the little kid in me. But what really draws me in is the kids, seeing the wonderment mixed with a little fear in their faces as they walk up to the porch makes all the hours put into my display worth it.

As for the perfect Halloween it would be a dry night in the 60's with a very slight breeze. The streetlight burnt out in front of my house. Children coming from dusk to about 9:30 in small groups (hate those massive blobs of kids). For the display itself , finally having a walk through haunt with a cemetery, spider, and crazed scientist section. And most importantly everything working as intended.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Dark and spooky things like ghost stories, haunted houses, witches, etc. have captivated me my entire life. The idea of a holiday or season to celebrate them is just icing on the cake!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I don't like evil but I've always liked spooky from the time I was a little kid. That little kid I was still makes up a lot of who I am now, all these years later.
As others have said, Halloween is a festival of creativity. There are so many different themes to choose from or to combine and adapt.
Another draw is that dressing up appeals to the frustrated actor in me.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
its not the symbols but the mystic gothic atmosphere of halloween, the pop culture of dressing up, the gothic victorian horror stories, the dark romantic side but not sinister side of it, darker but light hearted...like chasing the darker bad boy verses the good quiet boy.......its more fun with the mystery........then the pranking fun side of halloween is to us unmeasurable......its a time to pretend to be someone or something that interests you and to play a part with friends and have a good time, get on stage and be a kid.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Like others have said, for me it is a mix of many different things. Since I can remember I have *always* been fascinated by ghost stories, ghouls, and things that go bump in the night. Some of my favorite memories as a kid were going to my great-aunts, and my grandmothers house (just a few blocks from mine) in the weeks leading up to Halloween and decorating. they had very large old homes that already gave a "haunted" feel anyway.

As I got older it became more spiritual in nature, as someone else said, honoring the ancestors. And it was a holiday, that as an adult it was still FUN. Christmas and Thanksgiving stress me out and I am a ball of nerves until its over. This is something that I can do, with my whole family, and we all have fun being whatever we want to be for just one night.

Somehow for me it has always just be - right. The "perfect storm" if you will.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would like to point out that - at least where I'm from a lot of people think of Halloween as an "evil" holiday about gore and violence, etc. But as pretty much everyone here mentioned - for me it is all fun, the nostalgia, being creative, sharing my home with my neighbors and visiting them.

Actually, some of my friends think I hate Halloween because I went with them to this big haunted hayride thing and absolutely HATED it! But that wasn't Halloween to me - there it was all so bloody and violent - they actually projected videos of car accidents on the walls! Yikes! Not my thing at all! I like to tell people that the scariest thing there were the porta potties! Bleh...

I would love to make a "Spooky House" one year - where nothing was too scary - just fun - with lots of mystery and magic. Much more my speed!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
A I like to tell people that the scariest thing there were the porta potties! Bleh...

I would love to make a "Spooky House" one year - where nothing was too scary - just fun - with lots of mystery and magic. Much more my speed!
...the porta potties -- heehee!
There's room for all types of haunters and decorations here, but I happen to be the low-gore type, too. (I have to admit a real admiration for well-done corpsing, though. I don't really see it as gore.) If the videos of car accidents were real, involving real people, that's just wrong in my book.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I like the nostalgia and spookiness of it all, like the rest of you. Also the pumpkins! Pumpkin decorations, candles, goodies, and especially carving and lighting them. For me, the candy is a big part of it too. My perfect Halloween is a day spent watching scary movies and Halloween specials, carving pumpkins and giving out candy.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Halloween encourages embracing the odd and otherworldly, and I am drawn to the darkness like a magnet, so it is only fitting that I would opt to embrace the holiday. Perfect weather would be with natural fog and a brilliant full moon overhead casting ominous shadows.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So much I could say. In part I keep it because my Dad passed on the 28th, three years ago, and my passion for the holiday got me through...he loved to see the tot's come to the door. I too had a fascination with ghosts, parapsychology and cryptozoology since I was very young, now older and more skeptical, but I love it all the same. I love the looks on the faces of those who get it, who really take pleasure in the atmosphere/scene I've created. Halloween is a time when it's okay for a few of us middle aged farts to dress up and play again, if only for a night, some of us never grow up...:eek:

·
Registered
680 Posts
I was in a discussion a while back with a friend of mine and we started discussing Halloween and the symbols that draw us to it (i.e full moons ,stormy nights,jack o lanters etc etc)...And we were also dissecting what it is inside of each one of us that crave those symbols...live by them and so on..SO...Tell me what draws you to Halloween and if you had the choice what kind of vision would the perfect Halloween night look like to you?
Once my mother - a devout evangelical, hard-core Church Lady if there ever was one, asked me somewhat disapprovingly asked me why I was so drawn to Halloween.

Raised an eyebrow and replied, "Well one reason is that I have many happy memories of CHURCH Halloween parties and youth activities!" and I do, no lie.... and that really, really shut her up. Oops.

Halloween is a secret holiday, in a way. It takes place mainly inside your head, lighted pumpkins aside. Maybe you don't know many people like yourself, I sure don't. But Halloween enables me to "see" those who have interests akin to mine. Its a rare thing, and I cherish it. Even if I am just on my way to work in the dark, and I see someone's lit display. Ah-ha - someone with whom I share an interest or two. On that day people let their ids out to play a bit. [I think Freud was mostly as crazy as the people he tried to analyze, but he may have had a valid point or two with that id/ego/superego business.] They become not themselves.

One of my fondest Halloween memories: I was 14 or 15. I was at a church Halloween party, by myself that year. We went to what would now be termed a "mega-church," it was huge, had thousands of members and the Sunday School building had three floors. Up on the top floor they had a room in which they would have two showings of "Masque of the Red Death," starring Vincent Price. [They had tons of activities going on scattered throughout the complex.] On a projector, no less. This was truly back in the Dark Ages even here in America.

For a little repressed girl who had her father's foot very heavily on her neck, who had everything she watched and read very carefully vetted, who kept her head down and her mouth shut and read books at school in secret because reading was a way to get into really, really BAD trouble at my house.... this lavish tale of a Black-Plague-era royal party gone horribly, horribly wrong was a REVELATION. Everything was so beautiful. The costumes and makeup were perfection. And here was this guy, Prince Prospero! A SATAN WORSHIPPER, drinking out of gold goblets and really glamorous. Talkin' up Satan. And here I was, sitting in the Sunday School building in the dark on Halloween week, and did anyone actually vet this film before they let the kiddos see it....? NOPE. It was all too obvious. WOOOHOO!

But there was MORE! Here was Prospero's mistress [!!!!!] and she is going to do nothing less than wed herself to Satan. She puts on her plunging velvet gown and her jewels and let the Latin ceremony begin at the black altar!!

...The upside-down cross is a new brand sealing her pledge to Satan.

"I am now betrothed of the Devil."

This was way more interesting than church ever was, let me tell you. I watched both showings of that movie and emerged at the end of the night with my head reeling. WOW. Gothic glamour for the win!

So there you have it. I like Gothic glamour, and I like cool windy nights and candlelight and full moons and the sheer possibility turning everything on its ear represents. Otherwise normal people let their hidden sides out to play. It does not happen very often.

And I am glad I remembered this, because I bought a boxed Vincent Price set JUST to get my hands on this movie. I am going to watch it again this very All-Hallows, and smile at the girl I was, grown past all that repression into the formidable creature that I am now.

p.s. I am not actually a Satan worshipper, this is just a really cool movie. /disclaimer :cool:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts