Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the sounds that go with the sights at your haunt?

I run two wired outdoor speakers at the far edges of my front lawn that play SFX... demonic whispers, owl hoots, footsteps, the occasional scream or maniacal laugh, etc. Then as the TOTs approach the house, I play eerie music from an interior speaker - something like Midnight Syndicate, the Haunted Mansion Theme, or scary movie themes. I would have never guessed it, but the movie themes scare the kids the most. Who knew?!

I love using baby monitors to hear what the TOTs are saying as they approach. Once every few years, I get devilish and reverse the monitors so I can have a little parting word in my best possessed evil whisper. You should see 'em jump! heh heh heh. :D

So what does Halloween sound like where you are?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use a soundtrack that has the old standby of growls, hisses, and screams. Then I use the "Come Little Children" song from Hocus Pocus. As the night wears on and the bigger kids show up I use some songs off of the original Resident Evil soundtrack. Nothing elaborate as most kids zoom up for candy and dart to the next house. It's actually more for my enjoyment lol. I never thought of using baby monitors. That would be hilarious!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I never had much sound game at my house. When it was cool enough to have the windows open (late Oct isn't always cool enough, crazy, I know) I would play "This is Halloween" (is that what it's called? The theme from Nightmare Before Christmas) over and over.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Crickets...crickets!! With wolves howling intermittently every so often. And an occasional cat yowl. And an occasional hoot owl.

Way way back, there was a time when the heavy use of sound effects was nowhere near as prevalent as it is today.

At that time, the nighttime sounds of your average neighborhood imparted a "natural" atmosphere. Cricket, wolf, cat, owl...those are all real animals that you might very well hear in your area, depending on where you are. Nothing sounds eerie like a chorus of real crickets does.

But if you don't happen to have a chorus of real crickets, it is easy enough to create your own sound effects "cricket track"...I have used one for several years and it is funny how people believe it after hearing it for a few moments. If it sounds real enough, people will just sort of accept it. If wolves, cats and owls are mixed in--so that their sounds occur only occasionally--then you've got a nice nighttime forest soundscape. I like this sort of sound environment for the outside--the front of the house, the sidewalk...and as your visitors come up the path, you can have other stuff playing closer to the front door. That way there is a sense of layering; they have to wade through one environment to get to another.

·
Registered
963 Posts
You can do some really incredible creative stuff with sound, I agree! It creates images in the mind. In some ways I think it has an edge on the visual aspect. At one haunted yard, I took an mp3 player, hooked it up to a small speaker, and played the sound of a small gurgling stream. This was placed in a dark, shadowy area near the front gate of the house. In order to get up to the front porch, you had to walk past this "stream" sound effect. People would notice the sound and look for the stream, or for any source of water, but they would see only darkness. It was an odd sound coming from an odd place, and it confused and mystified the people coming up the street to see the haunt. As you can tell, I have a special appreciation for natural environmental sounds. It is great to mix the ghosts and monsters with these sounds. The combination is often compellingly real!

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
I agree that the right sound track is everything. It can take a mediocre haunt and make it spectacular. Last year, I used Midnight Syndicate's Carnival Arcane and, even though I had no carnival theming whatsoever, it gave my haunted graveyard the perfect air of psychotic spookiness. This year since I am doing a French Quarter voodoo resurrection theme I plan to have lots of old time traditional jazz to accompany my trumpet and saxophone playing skeletons.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Your question looks like something Ray Bradbury would've written as the first line for a story...

Our haunt is really an extension of our Halloween Party, so I play loud Halloween-themed pop music - Time Warp, Ghostbusters, Werewolves of London, Don't Fear the Reaper, etc. I've tried Midnight Syndicate and haunted atmospheric music or sound tracks, but prefer the party atmosphere, even for Halloween night.

BTW, Halloween sounds like dry leaves skittering over sidewalks while the wind whistles and moans through the trees...and a lone owl hoots forlornly.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Halloween at my house sounds like the old sound effects tapes playing out of the garage and recording of the legend of sleepy hollow read aloud with sound effects.
But in general the leaves, absolutely!

·
Registered
237 Posts
"BTW, Halloween sounds like dry leaves skittering over sidewalks while the wind whistles and moans through the trees...and a lone owl hoots forlornly." -ChrisW
YES!!! Agreed!
I also use a lot of SFX, with varying volumes. One of my favorites is water dripping in the 'tombs'. I can 'set' a scene with with SFX before they even enter the room/area.
I use ambient music but it is not loud, I want my guests to hear the actors not studio musicians.
Sound adds another layer to the experience for both the actors and the guests.

·
Registered
39 Posts
At my house for many years I would play on repeat the "Horror sounds of the night" cassette tape until it was finally devoured back in 2002. Classic. I miss that bit of orange and black goodness. :-D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lair - depending on the size of your yard - you can probably get away with some bluetooth speakers, they run for hours on a single charge. I bought a JBL clip last year and threw it one my bushes. That little thing pumps out some serious sound for less than $50 bucks. Obviously you can get better quality for more money, but that was perfect for me.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Out front is summer storm sound track from lights alive with lights, inside the haunt- use a variety of sounds and every year I change it up. From crickets and wolves as ambient sounds or for scenes use death metal music. Sometimes to get the mood right, i won't use any sound to create the eerily silence hallway before coming up on an automatic scare prop. It really just depends on the situation that I'm trying to create to what if any music or sounds will be used.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Thick ground fog, screaming kids, laughing adults, chains that rattle, eerie music flowing through the trees. There are skeletons that dance, ghouls that moan, tombstones that rock. The cool crisp bite of the night air and the smell of hot butter rum. Just a few things that come to mind.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
After reading Reelsore's account, I remembered that for a few years I used a thunderstorm soundtrack outside tied in with a Special FX lighting unit on some white floodlamps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lair - depending on the size of your yard - you can probably get away with some bluetooth speakers, they run for hours on a single charge. I bought a JBL clip last year and threw it one my bushes. That little thing pumps out some serious sound for less than $50 bucks. Obviously you can get better quality for more money, but that was perfect for me.
I went cheapo on my blue tooth speaker for my radio prop. Picked it up at 5Below (up by the registers). For $5 it puts out plenty of volume. and the Lithium Ion battery lasts like 7 hours.
BlueTooth speaker.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts