Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
List what you'd like to see offered in retail stores

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure of the outcome of this, and maybe I won't get the deisred responses from coporate decision makers, but I'd like to compile a list of things you'd like to see offered for sale in Halloween stores next year. There seems to be a general consensus that the retail picture this year was very poor; very few new items, a lot of recycled stuff from the past two years, etc.. I was in our local Spirit Store today and was commenting to the manager about the poor offerings and she agreed wholeheartedly that 2008 has been a bad year for new products. She said they had a meeting with their district manager who said more stuff was coming but it never seems to get there and it's into October already with the store having been open for three weeks. My thought is to get a list from the foum community and submit it, (or even the link to this thread) to the corporate offices of Spirit, Walmart, Kmart, Target and anywhere else you can think of.
Don't be conservative; Tell what you would buy if it were available, throw out a price range, what makes or breaks a Halloween outlet to you? Not to be a Halloween snob, but don't respond by saying "I make all of my own stuff". I think most, if not all of us hit the Halloween stores and see things we want (or wish there was something there we did want.)
We can let the thread run until it dies out, but either way I'll send it on to the aforementioned offices and see what kind of responses, if any, they offer.Please don't be vulgar or take cheap shots. If the link is sent, being offensive might simply kill the intent. Thanks!

Personally, I would like to see a large variety of nice quality masks, even those like Death Studios or Darkside studio sels. also some nice thick foam tombstones with a bit more realism than the stuff offered each year.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would like to see more fun props out. I see a lot of the Halloween oriented stores like Spirit and Halloween Express go overboard with the Blood-n-Guts props, IMO. I know a lot of people like them and buy them, but there are a lot of folks, like me, who LOVE Halloween but not too into all the gore that can sometimes get stuck with the holiday. IMO Halloween isn't all about severed heads and body parts. It's about ghosts, witches, goblins, pumpkins, skeletons, black cats. Just my 2 cents... ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
1) I would love to see an animatronic full size skeleton that has a beating heart. The heart beats with lights, and the skeleton talks. The heart could even move too. I always think in the $20-$25 for the smaller animatronics.

They had a heart at Spirit, and it was so small, and it doesn't make any noises. It looks great, but it's way too small in my opinion, and no noises as I just said. The beating heart at target moves up and down I think, but it looks really ugly.

2) I want to see a full size animatronic skeleton sing some halloween songs. I get bored of them talking, and want to see them singing. Why can't they sing multiple songs rather than just one too?

3) I really hate that the blowmolds are gone. They were on a roll in my opinion with Empire bringing out Count Dracula, an Alien, and Frankenstein. What about the Mummy? They went out of business though. I wish someone could still be make them though. Those blowups, I don't care for because they are just too cutesy, and they take up a lot of room if you put them inside your house. Why not put them outside? This is because you are afraid one person is going to poke them with a needle, and they are gone. How about making blowups that are the size of the blowmolds for in the house that are on the scary side? Who says they have to be so darn huge?

Along with those stores, could you add Walgreen's in there with Michael's? These stores have sales / coupons, and Walgreens are located everywhere around me so after Halloween I could get some stuff too for cheaper because they are bound to have some good stuff at one of the 5 Walgreens around me.

·
Super Moderator
5,742 Posts
I'ld really like a good mid-grade skeleton on the market.

There HAS to be room for something that looks better than a blucky, but isn't so heftily priced as a bucky. Best one I've seen is a 3ft sucker being sold at a LOCAL shop. Not carried in any of the big stores. Is it so hard to get a 4-5ft one on the market?

·
Registered
180 Posts
How about more options for personalizing your own props? I know most of us go into Spirit and think one of two things:
"I could make that" or "I'm going to buy that and change half of it"
What I would love to walk into Spirit and find is a section of empty jars of different sizes and interesting shapes which you could buy individually. And then there could be a section that you can choose from assorted yucky things to put in the jars, to get the look you're going for. Smaller items could be set up like a candy store where you fill a bag up out of a bin. (I can see it now, stacks of spiders or oogles of ogre eyes falling into a bag. :D )
You could have a personalized witch's kitchen, or mad scientist's lab, all from one location. Just add water (and food coloring.)
I wish stores had more options like this where you could cook up your own decorations. Probably just a dream, but I would love it!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree with HQ4ever, I'd like to see more back to basics halloween and some vintage reproductions. I realize blood and guts sells but show me a cool old vintage witch and I will open my wallet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with HappyScientist. I always see something in a store and think that I can make that, and pass on buying it. That would be a great idea for a store.

I'd like to see more life like animated props. I don't mind paying $50 for one, but most of the ones in that price range hardly move. And if they do they move like an 80's robot. And I can't ever see myself paying $1,000 plus for a great animated prop that I've seen on the web.

·
Registered
310 Posts
1. Animatronics, but of good quality. Everything in the stores is so cheap looking and don't look like they would last two Halloweens.

2. Latex, posable characters (i.e. Spirit sold a life-sized posable skeleton and it is great for props)

3. Quality, Quality, Quality props and decorations.

4. Affordable props and decorations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
what i really want is that all people in the world love Halloween!!!!
and I would like to find some bed Halloween Coffin cause I that's the only missing thing in my room jajaja I already got a lot of stuff, even all my underwear is of Halloween
I gotta keep buying more stuff ohh yeah

·
Registered
622 Posts
Really, really realistic tombstones as opposed to the likes of those everywhere that show bats and skulls and reapers. I realize those images do in fact appear on real stones, but they are usually very subtle. I also would like to see more that are plaster based that look better and last longer (like those at Michael's & Home Sense).

I'd like to see more affordable project-based items like motors and fading light circuits that can be used for all kinds of Halloween props/effects? I don't know, may be a tall order. :OP

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Too much horror and not anuff funhouse stuff

I would like to see more fun props out. I see a lot of the Halloween oriented stores like Spirit and Halloween Express go overboard with the Blood-n-Guts props, IMO. I know a lot of people like them and buy them, but there are a lot of folks, like me, who LOVE Halloween but not too into all the gore that can sometimes get stuck with the holiday. IMO Halloween isn't all about severed heads and body parts. It's about ghosts, witches, goblins, pumpkins, skeletons, black cats. Just my 2 cents... ;)
Great statement above and I couldn't agree more ! Wish Gemmy would make a few full size traditional monsters, or even a big foot would be really cool prop. Hard to find any comical decor......everthing seems to be very dark,gloomy and gruesome. I do zero blood and gore and really get bored with it after seeing it in all the stores and movies. Too me Halloween was never a slasher movie, gets old fast IMHO.

·
Bringing the Dead to Life
839 Posts
i would like to see more life-size props. I know they make them smaller so that they are less expensive to produce, increasing their profits, but i know quite a few of us wouldn't mind paying a couple more dollars for a life-sized item that we could actually use, and make it look realistic. Like mentioned above, the bluckies are just too small and unrealsitic. I have also noticed that severed body parts suck this year. An arm I saw at Party City had a wrist the size of a half dollar coin. I mean, come on.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
How about some decent sound effect cd's

franciax
Pends on what SFX you are looking for,we have a few members with freeshare effects & background SFX that you can download & burn, & alot on the web.
Cruise thru meltdown211's here;4shared, Online file sharing and storage - Password:hauntforum
There are alot of great sfx cd's out there,just pends your taste & needs. :D

& what i want to see is everything 1/2 off WAY BEFORE halloween......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts