Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So every year I hold a Halloween party at a different friend's house, I've been lucky in that so far they have let me use my handy staple gun to put up decor, this year the house that we'll be having the party in is new and I'm not allowed to use staples. I've tried using tape/push pins but they don't seem to work as well as my staple gun!

Any suggestions/ideas as to what people use to put up their decor is much appreciated!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,173 Posts
Finishing nails.

I always have a tube of caulk and a small jar of wall paint and it's rare that I have to get that stuff out if it's high on the wall.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Sticky tac and scotch tape for me. and for the basement some times finishing nails and even twine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't know the name, but for drywall, they have a very thin wire that has a big curve. You stick in the curved part and it rests behind the sheetrock and leave a little tab out for pictures and decor. The point being, it leaves only the tiniest of holes, darn near invisible.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Don't use sticky tack, especially if they have flat paint.

We have oily spots all over, and it literally pulled the paint off the walls in some places. It was a tragedy. Thumbtacks or push pins were less painful to us.

·
Registered
576 Posts
You could use tripod style frames to hold up heavier things. Run string between two doors over the top of them, around curtain rods, back and forth across the room, around a cieling fan (tape the switch in OFF position), and you suddenly have lots of hanging space.

Maybe you can ask them to take down some of their pictures that have established hooks so you can use them.

·
Registered
312 Posts
This last year was our first in our new home and I was really worried about what to use too - I ended up getting 3M hooks for everything and it was AWESOME. They came off clean, the hook parts are reusable (just get refill strips) and they come in all sizes. Most of what I did I just used the little ones - banners, foil danglers, string lights - but there are some that hold a few pounds. Just make sure you read the directions and actually wait to hang stuff like it says - I never do for the light stuff, but for heavy it makes a difference. I usually grab them at Michaels with my 40% off coupon or Menards has bigger packages sometimes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I concur with HeatherEve...the 3M hooks are fantastic. DH HATES it when I use any sort of pin, nail, etc. He didn't really even want me to use the 3M until I showed him they didn't ruin anything like he thought they would. If you don't want to go the expense of the hooks, I have also bent paperclips and taped or used putty to hang things.

M

·
0 Posts
Same here with those 3M hooks, they work great! I use tension rods in the doorways and tiny tacks and nails in inconspicuous places. And Christmas ornament hooks can be manipulated in many ways! Fishing line is a great way to get from point A to B. I agree with Warrant2000 about swapping out their existing decor for your haunt goodies. (I have to do this because there would be no room otherwise :)) Sticky tack = oily stains and much frustration.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
A couple other tricks for outdoor hanging...

Brick Clips
Siding Clips

You can find them at Lowe's/Home Depot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts