Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Arachnophiliac
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone knows I hate glitter. But a friend surprised me at work the other day by bringing me this weird, black, dead-tree looking thing she found at a discount store. It just reminded her of me so she had to get it for me (along with some awesome earrings). It's obviously meant to be a Halloween decoration and, after some modifications, I'm planning to use it as such. Only problem is it's covered with glitter. It's black glitter, so it looks fine. But it still gets all over anything it touches. I think surprise gifts like that are awesome -- random presents from friends just because they thought of me when they saw something in particular ... that means a lot to me and I want it to go to use. So what do you guys use to keep glitter in place? I think I've heard of some sort of spray made for that purpose but I don't know what brands there are or if you can buy it offline. Has anyone ever used normal spray coat or fixatives for drawing/sketching? Just curious what the options are. And of course I'll document my progress when I make my modifications. ;)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hairspray comes to mind as a possible solution. I can't for for sure if it will work as I won't let my wife buy glitter cover items for the same reason. It just seems to stick to everything except what it came on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Spray-on laquer might work as well. That way, you don't have to worry about the glitter coming off and sticking to the modgepodge applicator/brush. Krylon Clear spray is one you could try. I think they sell it at most home improvement stores.

Love the spider poem, by the way! Did you write it yourself?

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
How is it that anything that has glitter on it tends to shed worse than most cats but if you try to intentionally get it off the piece it breaks the piece or takes half of the piece with it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Years ago I made a candle dipped in glitter in Girl Scouts and I'm pretty sure we sprayed the candles with hair spray to keep the glitter from falling off. My parents still have the candle and it still has glitter on it, but I think the candle was sticky from the hair spray for a while. I have some glitter trees I use with my spooky town set and have been thinking about trying to put something on them to lessen the glitter falling off

·
Arachnophiliac
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Spray lacquer was what I was thinking about myself, but I thought more opinions would be helpful since I'm obviously not experienced with glitter, considering my intense hatred of it.

Banshee3 - I'm not sure but I think you're referring to my signature (correct me if I'm wrong)? It's actually a song lyric from one of my favorite bands, The Vision Bleak. The song is called The Outsider. I never related it to spiders before, but I guess it is appropriate. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Your signature, yes. Sorry, I'm new to this. I write Halloween poetry so I'm always looking for others who share that interest.

I'll be sure and check out The Vision Bleak--sounds intriguing!

·
Arachnophiliac
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your signature, yes. Sorry, I'm new to this. I write Halloween poetry so I'm always looking for others who share that interest.

I'll be sure and check out The Vision Bleak--sounds intriguing!
Cool! If you like heavy metal, you'll probably love The Vision Bleak! All their songs are horror themed. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I checked out some of their videos on You tube. I especially liked "Wolfmoon" and "Cannibal Witch." Great lyrics and very theatrical! I have always enjoyed metal--Ozzy, Judas Priest, Rob Zombie, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, etc. and am willing to listen to new stuff. Do you like Fever Ray? "If I Had a Heart" is great--very eerie!

·
Arachnophiliac
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's awesome, Banshee. Wolfmoon is a great song -- in fact, that entire album (The Deathship Has a New Captain) is amazing and one of my top five favorite albums. Elizabeth Dane, Metropolis, The Horror of Antarctica -- all awesome songs.

I haven't heard of Fever Ray but I with have to check that song out. :)

If you're interested, I actually have a thread over in the Halloween Music section called Metal Songs and Videos for Halloween or something along those lines. If I remember correctly, that's actually where I discovered The Vision Bleak, thanks to Joey_Munster, I believe. And they became one of my favorite bands! There are a lot of good songs posted there. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fever Ray is not metal but if you're like me, you like all kinds of music....also, they are very unique, which is always a plus.

I'll check that thread out, thanks!

·
Arachnophiliac
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't say I'm into ALL kinds of music, in fact there are a few genres that make me want to kill the person who invented them... however, I do generally like music that's on the spooky side. I looked up Fever Ray on Wikipedia and she seems interesting. I'll have to YouTube it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's funny! I can admit that there are some artists (if that's what you want to call them) that make me cringe. [ie. Justin Beiber, Kanye West, etc.] Hope you don't like either of those--I get the feeling you probably don't.

·
Arachnophiliac
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha, your assumption would be correct! I hate country, top 40 stuff, and rap/hip-hop. Other than that I can tolerate or even enjoy most stuff. But metal is #1.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts