1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MASTER OF ALL I SURVEY!
100,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you like most about Halloween? The decorations? The parties? Me,
I like all the spooky stuff associated with it. The kid in me likes to believe
there are ghosts and goblins roaming the night and witches are flying on
brooms across the face of the moon. It's fun! What about the rest of you?
What do you like most about our favorite holiday?

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
It's gotta be they delight or fear on the kids faces when they stumble across our halloween set-up. It is especially good for them as no-one inmy neck of the woods does anything like this.

Oh and my other favorite thing has to be uploading photos to share with you guys and viewing the photos you guys put up. This year I am hoping to have them up before you guys really get into halloween.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Several things:
The crisp cool air and colorful leaves falling to the ground, the darker days, the smell of bon fires, but most of all DECORATIONS! Scarecrows, pumpkins and especially scary stuff appearing everywhere, peoples houses, shops, tv shows/commercials, etc...
And candy is the icing on the cake :p

·
Registered
120 Posts
The anticipation of being scared. The smells, the sounds and the chance to be someone entirely different.

·
Fallen Angel
7,061 Posts
I love seeing the tot's expressions as they check out our display. It only narrowly beats out the costume parties though....I still love dressing up.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I also enjoy watching the children faces when they view our props and displays......they seem so mesmerized....totally brings a smile to my face....;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love the feeling of something magical that creeps into the air as the days get shorter and the leaves turn brilliant colors. Add to that the decor and the excitement of dressing in costume. I dress up every year and I decorate my house every year. I guess the best way to sum it up is the immense amount of joy I felt when a little kid about 5 years old dressed like spiderman came to my house and said in his tiny little voice, "This is the bestest Halloween house ever!"

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ummm....everything? :) :) :)

Being able to scare the crap out of people (especially kids) and not get arrested for it.

Being able to be gory and grotesque and NOT looked at funny.

Being able to build creative props and scenes and have a place to show them off!

The justification for buying a bag of every single kind of candy produced. :)

We don't have TOTs at our new house, so I do miss hearing the "Mommy, I don't WANT to go to that house, it's too scary!!!!" from the garage where I'm hiding. That was so the BEST.

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
I love it all, the fall weather, the decorations, that magical feeling that anything is possible...but my favorite thing is dressing up. I just love the fact that we can be anybody (or anyTHING) that we want :D At a party a long time ago a friend talked to me for 15 minutes and couldn't figure out who I was...now that was SWEEEET!!! ;)

·
"They won't stay dead."
1,366 Posts
I totally agree....I love to see the joy and excitement on the kids faces. Its the sights and smells of both the season and the night. I can't describe it really, just the night of Halloween has such a wonderful feeling to me. I could just walk the streets for hours taking in the sights and smelling the autumn air....:eek:

·
MASTER OF ALL I SURVEY!
100,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I totally agree....I love to see the joy and excitement on the kids faces. Its the sights and smells of both the season and the night. I can't describe it really, just the night of Halloween has such a wonderful feeling to me. I could just walk the streets for hours taking in the sights and smelling the autumn air....:eek:
:) I love to go walking this time of the year! You can see all the decorations
a lot better on foot than you can from a passing car. I like to see all the
brightly colored trees with leaves starting to fall. There's one tree, I don't
know what type it is, that has orange leaves! I call it the Halloween tree.
Then when I see a dead tree with no leaves I call it The Dead Man's tree.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
as a kid halloween was an exciting time. i have so many fond memories, the trick or treating, the decorations, the carving pumpkins, the haunted houses, costumes, scares, friends, air, smells, candy, shows, leaves on trees, pretenses. and now i enjoy passing it all on to others.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Like many of the posters I'm in love with the season.

There are 4 things that make Halloween for me.

1/ The changing season - falling leaves, darkening evenings, that wispy magical atmosphere that you can never quite grasp even though you can absolutely feel it.

2/ Memories. The excitement of dressing up as a child. Walking through the haunted parks in Cambridge. Finding decorations in the shops that made me go "ooooh". So many things in this category.

3/ The anticipation. The build up to Halloween is the one event of the year where I feel totally free to be childish. I manage a large team at work in what is sometimes a stressful environment . But every Halloween they expect me to decorate the office, make pumpkin pies and to throw my desk based Halloween lunch party. It's become as traditional as Christmas and my team indulge me and enjoy themselves.

4/ My wife is Japanese and never really felt the Halloween atmosphere (lets face it, even most Europeans and Americans don't - us lot are a minority group). But about 6 years ago she totally surprised me by showing enthusiasm for all the traditional Halloween things I had tried to introduce her too when we were dating. And now she leads the way in enjoying the season with me. She likes the dusk dog walking, buying the decorations, carving the pumpkin etc. And seeing her enjoying it makes me feel doubly good.
Coupled with this are the small parties we have with my two nephews. For the last 5 years I have taken my nephews on Halloween ghost hunts, they stay over at my place, I treat them to Halloween food and games and we all have a great time. It's so heart warming to have them bugging me through the year for details of our next party. I'm especially looking forward to this year's as my niece is now old enough to join us.

I love this season!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I enjoy the haunting and creepy feeling associated with halloween.

I am a fan of the old Universal and hammer horror films, so I enjoy the supernatural feeling associated with Halloween.

Unfortunately where I live there is not a lot of cooler weather at this time.

I also like the dress up aspect. I can be whoever I please.

This year I am costuming as a woman going as a swinging pipe smoking Grandmother! See costume on the attachment!

Next year I will be costuming again as a woman going as The Domestic Diva martha Stewart!

And the next! I will take one of my 17th century outfits, add fangs and red lips and go as the vampire Lestat!

Fun! Fun! Fun!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I could not agree more with #1 in this list here. There is something about the weather, the air, the leaves that just sends my sense of nostalgia into a whirlwind, and I cannot quite grasp the feeling enough to figure out how to reel it in to satisfy whatever it is that I feel. Its like a thirst that is never quite quenched because you don't know what water is. That's the best that I can explain it.

I spend a lot of time trying to remember what made Halloween and autumn so special as a kid so that I can try to duplicate the feeling at age 28. I can still get really excited about Halloween, but there is no sense of accomplishment anymore like, at age 11, when I would home with a pillow case full of candy!

In a way, this is what I like most about Halloween; the fact that I never quite 'get there' interms of the feelings that I got as a kid. This way, each year is more exciting than the last because I spend the season searching, but never finding. That search is a blast: buying more decorations, watching campy horror flicks, going to pumpkin patches, carving pumpkins, and watching Garfield Halloween, and the Great Pumpkin at least twice a piece!

In some ways I hope I never find what I am looking for...

Like many of the posters I'm in love with the season.

There are 4 things that make Halloween for me.

1/ The changing season - falling leaves, darkening evenings, that wispy magical atmosphere that you can never quite grasp even though you can absolutely feel it.

2/ Memories. The excitement of dressing up as a child. Walking through the haunted parks in Cambridge. Finding decorations in the shops that made me go "ooooh". So many things in this category.

3/ The anticipation. The build up to Halloween is the one event of the year where I feel totally free to be childish. I manage a large team at work in what is sometimes a stressful environment . But every Halloween they expect me to decorate the office, make pumpkin pies and to throw my desk based Halloween lunch party. It's become as traditional as Christmas and my team indulge me and enjoy themselves.

4/ My wife is Japanese and never really felt the Halloween atmosphere (lets face it, even most Europeans and Americans don't - us lot are a minority group). But about 6 years ago she totally surprised me by showing enthusiasm for all the traditional Halloween things I had tried to introduce her too when we were dating. And now she leads the way in enjoying the season with me. She likes the dusk dog walking, buying the decorations, carving the pumpkin etc. And seeing her enjoying it makes me feel doubly good.
Coupled with this are the small parties we have with my two nephews. For the last 5 years I have taken my nephews on Halloween ghost hunts, they stay over at my place, I treat them to Halloween food and games and we all have a great time. It's so heart warming to have them bugging me through the year for details of our next party. I'm especially looking forward to this year's as my niece is now old enough to join us.

I love this season!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,695 Posts
I haven't read the other responses yet...

For me, I am not even sure I can describe it. I love scary movies, haunted houses, ghost stories - and have since I was little.

I love the supernatural aspect of it all.

I feel like I'm 10 again and that there might just be monsters under the bed or hiding in the bushes in the dark.

It's a connection to my childhood.

The other part is that I'm a praise hound. I LOVE doing the big setup and having the kids tell me that they love our yard/house, hearing the screams and giggling of the little ones and even having the jaded teens tell me "cool house" - it is such a nice warm fuzzy feeling. :D

Oh, and the fact that this is pretty much my most involved hobby. I do other things, but not with any regularity - this is my creative outlet that allows me to express myself and really pushes me to think about how to make cool things from junk.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts