Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and when I say "older" I do not mean teenagers. I think that it is actully cute to see the teens out together...for the most part they have been polite.

I am talking about the parents and/or (not kidding here) the grandparents? Part of me says that if they are going to actually walk up and ask for the candy...then they need it more than I do...but part of me says "what the heck" ...

Just wondering how you all handle this type of thing as the "witching" hours draws ever closer...and I am out purchasing my candy supplies!

:D

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Come one, come all. Parents/grandparents in costume are always welcome. If you make the effort to keep Halloween alive for all ages, you get goodies. Not sure about those expecting treats for the 6-month-old in the stroller, though, but if the little one is in costume (and most are), no problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses! Maybe I am just feeling mean today because I am stuck at work and would rather be finishing up my haunt projects :)

In all honesty...I give everyone candy. It just rubs my fur the wrong way sometimes when a full grown adult, not dressed up, doesn't say "trick or treat" (because english is not their native language) just stolls on up with their cute as a bugs ear kiddo(s) and sticks a grocery bag out at me....I kind of look at them like they are kidding and then give the treat.

I know it is not worth the hassle to say no...but since I am feeling expecially crabby today...I guess I needed a place to vent!

Maybe we need to start a "venting" section of the forum? Just a place to blow steam and get stuff off your chest :)

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I don't care how old or young anyone is, if they come to my house on Halloween and hold out a bag, I put candy in it. Makes me no difference, it's all in good fun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Last time I went ToTing when I was 16, the people refused to give me candy because I was "too old." It always made me feel bad because what right do they have to be ageist? I'm in costume and not one of those types of teens out to smash pumpkins and wreak havoc.

So now I see it as if anyone wears a costume, they get candy. This means the young and the old!

·
Crawling in my skin
2,236 Posts
If your in a costume and I don't care how elaborate you get....you get candy. That is what Halloween is all about and of course scaring the bageebies out of you lol! All the kids and even the older ones have been very polite and always say thanks and that they just love my house......that would even be enough for me.

·
...is up to no good
1,295 Posts
I think it's pretty crappy to go TOTing without a costume, young or old. But I'll still give you candy anyways. I get so few TOTers that anyone coming to the door will get loads of goodies.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok...Let me pose this question.

What if they are NOT wearing a costume

Really....I had over 50 full grown adults (over 35) not in costume...with grocery store bags. I will give the candy...because I want to have fun, not be the Halloween police, but it just rubs me wrong.

·
...is up to no good
1,295 Posts
Are you serious...50 people with no costume?

Did they have kids with them but had their own TOT bags?

I can see why you'd kinda feel grouchy about it.

You must live in a really unusual town.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This will be our 4th year for decorating our house for Halloween. We have doubled the number of TOTs each year...Last year we had roughly 800. So 50 older type people is not a huge number...but quite a few.

We put everything up on Halloween morning...and take it all down at the end of the night! It is just me and my husband and a few friends...so we don't have time to police who should be getting treats and who shouldn't . We all just want to have a great time and enjoy the night but I just noticed a pattern last year...and it seemed odd.

I promise I'm not a scrooge...(most of the time) :D

·
Registered
920 Posts
Ok...Let me pose this question.

What if they are NOT wearing a costume....I had over 50 full grown adults (over 35) not in costume...with grocery store bags. I will give the candy...because I want to have fun, not be the Halloween police, but it just rubs me wrong.

No costume, or no children in tow? That's alot of adults....I personally would say "No costume, no candy" or "I am sorry, I only have enough for the kids." It's really up to you....

I have had teens without costumes, but they have been polite.... I don't have a problem with that. I have even had an older lady with a walker, she was so sweet..had to be very old, but she had her witches hat on and her bag, and she was trick or treating. She had her nurse/ or care-giver with her, and they were very nice.

Good luck with it...:) H1

P.S. 200....800 trick or treaters! WOW! I am lucky to get 60!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Shoot....last year I had 2 tot's. Yeah...that's not a miss type...I lived in an apartment complex though, so I guess that contributed to the tiny number. But still, there are/were loads of kids that lived in the apartments. We moved into a house this year, and there are some neighbor kids. I'm hoping they'll spread the word. lol.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts