Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. After a few decades of home haunted, nearly dying on the Operating Table, & living in a small house on a Postage Stamp Lot here in Winter Garden, FL (#Orlando area): a 15 min drive to the Haunted Mansion @ the MK: well, to the TTC. We live so close that every so often the wife & I will take a Lyft or Uber to The Contemporary: get dropped off there. Then it's gotta be a less than 8 min walk to the Magic Kingdom gates. We don't like the TTC possible. But we do like the Growth it's made possible.

Anyway:

Bought a #Chauvet #Obey 70 at a decent price. But the super-nice pro Event Lighting house (Rebeka's Dreams in West Palm Beach) gave me:

1. A good deal
2. Tons of RD swag! Mugs, lanyards, etc.

Adam treated me like gold: ask for Adam if you go there: he's swell! Went to the enormous PRG Facility in Orlando as I saw it was:

A. Close to me &
B. Was also a #FroggysFog distributor

Rebekah's Dreams is a smaller shop & didn't have the #LaserSwamp I wanted to see. Went in with a huge kid-in-a-candy-store grin on my face & said:

Hey, you guys are a Froggy's Fog distributor! May I please see what you have & do you have their Laser Swamp? The dude looked at me with capillaries so red I thought his eyes were gonna burst & flatly: "We're PRG."

I said yes, but Froggy's web site sez you distribute their stuff. He thought for about 20 seconds. "Oh yeah, come see John." I stood at a Post Office-like Window for 15 mins. Not a single person appeared. I left. Calmly cuz:

PRG is gynormous--looks like they do Event Lighting for Major Label Touring Acts; and it's Christmas Decorating season.

So, what Free Open Source (or just Open Source or inexpensive) #DMX Software should I consider learning? I doubt I'll ever need more than... who knows... 2 dozen channels at most? NeverSayNever but...

Adam at Rebekah's after describing my situation said I'll probably never outgrow the Chauvet Obey 70 + that I'll have a blast with it. I'm sure he's right! Again, would highly recommend him & his staff to anyone.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Gonna use it for my yard haunt; not that I have much of a yard to haunt these days. But least I can keep my Show going the whole month.

Also going to use it for my Christmas display to control LED lights synced to whatever songs I want to "author" to, a Chauvet Scorpion Script laser unit, a snowflake disco ball (if I can find a good one cheap: I see horrible looking emulations being sold these days in retail stores: no replacement for a real spinning disco ball), & eventually a good snow machine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use xlights, it is an awesome program! There is a learning curve to it, but the support from the members is incredible! It is very similar to LOR (light o rama). I use a opensource DMX to USB adaptor, cost is around $75. I also use a Chauvet DMX-RT. You can load programs onto it and run them from the unit.

Just a note, I have an Obey 70, I have to make sure I terminate the last unit with a resistor. Even at short distances the DMX signal is easily disturbed causing the fixture(s) to go haywire.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I second the XLights option. It is free and the forum is very helpful. AND there are a ton of DIY lighting options and controllers to choose from. In addition to all of that, your show can be loaded onto a Raspberry Pi and run w/o computer interface. That's a nice option. But like FogMaster said, there is somewhat of a learning curve.

I have personally used Light O Rama and still do. It's great software and their hardware is very well built, support is pretty good but I don't think their forum is quite as friendly as XLights. It is also relatively simple to learn. Now, LOR is not free. As a matter of fact, they're kinda expensive but again there's a ton of DIY options out there that will work with their software. They have a stand alone controller that will run the show w/o computer interface and it can be run with a Raspberry Pi also but it is more involved.

As far as strict DMX software, there is a free open source program called QLC+ but it's not really intended to run an automated show. It is more intended for stage/theater style DMX lighting.There are software options out there to run WITH QLC+ that will run your sequences via a timeline but they require a yearly subscription.

Now for all those DIY gizmo's I was referring to. Check out places like HolidayCoro.com and FalconChristmas.com or Ra Wu's store on ebay. YES I KNOW, these are all sites geared towards Christmas BUT before everyone forms a lynch mob they have DMX based controllers and RGB lighting that works very well for the Nightmare Before Christmas:) I personally use several controllers, RGB modules and RGB floodlights from HolidayCoro in my display and I have seen dozens of videos of LOR software/hardware controlling pneumatics/linear motors/fog machines and such.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I hope you got the Obey 70 for a very cheap price, because if you follow @FogMaster 's advice and buy a USB to DMX adapter and run xLights, you won't need the Obey to run DMX fixtures. :)

I run a LED smoke machine, 4 floods, 4 moving heads and 4 singing faces on DMX (via an adapter) plus about 4,000 LEDs via pixel controllers all from 1 old laptop running xLights. Other guys are running way more than that. In fact, if you do want to also control LED pixels and you purchase a good controller (eg https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php ), you don't even need the USB to DMX adapter as it's built in; and you can run the whole thing stand alone form a $50 Pi running fpp.
https://www.pixel2things.com/ also make 2 boards which will run off xLights (or many other programs), one of them can control 9 DC devices, 6 Servos plus a DMX out of up to 480 channels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts