Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 21093 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yesterday, I bought three large trash bags filled with pre-carved foam pumpkins (about 15 total), a dutch kettle, a Gemmy 400 watt fog machine, 13 tombstones (16 inches tall) , 1 floating ghost, 1 floating grim reaper, a dragon scythe, a devil pitchfork and an executioners axe. All for $23. Pictures will follow. I passed on several inflatables (not my style). I will post pictures of these as well, in my albums. If anyone would like them I will pass on the sellers contact info.

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
Excellent find, discard. I don't suppose the seller had the Gemmy inflatable rat, did he?

I'm busily preparing for my own garage sale tomorrow (if I have time to get out the Halloween surplus, I'll post in For Sale) but did do a quick sweep of the neighborhood and scored a two-hand ring holder that normally sells new for $19 for $1, and a nice communion dress for my flower girl for $3.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My find today was a party store going out of business, everything was 70% off. They had a fair amount of Halloween stuff. I bought 3 tombstones, 2 skeletons, a crow, a skull with a meat cleaver in it, 1 pirate skull, 3 large skulls, 1 small skull, a bag of bones, a skull lantern, and a skeleton mummy. All for $60. I'll post a few pictures after the kids go to bed.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
nice finds discard. nice to live in a big town huh. lol.
death clutch, i know how much you like , uhm, what is the name again? just joking. glad you found some good stuff.

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
Today I bought two Gemmy Rocky the Singing Lobsters to use some how with my pirate theme props. They apparently hit the stores sometime ago, so not a new prop, and are battery operated. I might end up cutting the audio from them and just let them move when sound or motion triggered. At first the tail moves to the music and then suddenly the lobster raises up and moves it's mouth and it's claws kind of shake. I'm posting a YouTube link below. Apparently there were a few song versions available as mine is different from the one "sung" in the video below, but as you can tell it's typical of Gemmy's sound quality. I've been trying to come up with animations in my themes to make it more fun to look at for the younger ToTers. Here's the YouTube video that caught my eye and inspired my search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2pCzoppCTk

I have to laugh at the wild kind of novelty items that Gemmy produces (they also do those Big Mouth singing fish that accost you in Walgreens and such). Normally I would not be buying the lobsters but they did give me a chuckle and I hope they work out in my haunt. Guess I could always try putting them in a big stock pot and surprising someone.

·
Registered
157 Posts
nice finds discard. nice to live in a big town huh. lol.
The first find was a reply from a craigslist post I made a few days ago. The couple selling all their stuff moved from a two story corner lot house with a large yard in a small town to a duplex in a small town with strict rules concerning lawn decoration. The second find was actually a tip from a Dollar Store employee who sent me to a small town where the party store was going out of business. Neither find was in my big town, but I'm not complaining.

F

·
0 Posts
Yard Sales were in full motion today and so was I! I met a family whos Father was a haunter and he had recently passed. I ended up buying part of his pumpkin collection as I am trying to have 50 light up pumpkins in the display this year. I am now 2 away. I got the skeleton as well because he looked lonely. I also picked up some old bottles for the witch display.

·
2,612 Posts
Those lobsters are awesome Ghost of Spookie ! They would go great with a pirate theme :)
I would lose the singing for sure ! I'm gonna be on the look out for some of those ! I was able to find a couple of the Billy Bones singing fish by Gemmy. I used one for my pirates and one I sent to a friend who does a pirate theme. Thanks for posting this ! :)
YouTube- Big Mouth Billy Bones

Today I bought two Gemmy Rocky the Singing Lobsters to use some how with my pirate theme props. They apparently hit the stores sometime ago, so not a new prop, and are battery operated. I might end up cutting the audio from them and just let them move when sound or motion triggered. At first the tail moves to the music and then suddenly the lobster raises up and moves it's mouth and it's claws kind of shake. I'm posting a YouTube link below. Apparently there were a few song versions available as mine is different from the one "sung" in the video below, but as you can tell it's typical of Gemmy's sound quality. I've been trying to come up with animations in my themes to make it more fun to look at for the younger ToTers. Here's the YouTube video that caught my eye and inspired my search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2pCzoppCTk

I have to laugh at the wild kind of novelty items that Gemmy produces (they also do those Big Mouth singing fish that accost you in Walgreens and such). Normally I would not be buying the lobsters but they did give me a chuckle and I hope they work out in my haunt. Guess I could always try putting them in a big stock pot and surprising someone.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Well, no yard sales today - had to till and plant the garden, weed, mulch, trim, yadda, yadda, yadda!
BUT - we were in Cape May, NJ on Thursday for the Washington Street sidewalk sale, and I picked up the coolest, kitchy-est yard decoration dinosaurs for only $2.00 each. I bought 2, then went pback and bought 2 more - all they had. We picked up a large wire frame Christmas sleigh for 5 bucks, and I told my wife the dinosaurs are going to pull the sleigh... :)

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
ghost of spooky, that lobster is too much. when it stands up to sing it is a riot. b u t, whoever picks their music? i think they should rig them so you can record your own sound. never seen anything like them before.
so gris, if a got a billy bones and took off the skin, are those bones whats under the skin? and is the skin hard to take off? and is it easy to unmount from the plaque? gris, nice pumpkins. see you got yourself some halloween blow molds finally. and that ghost don't have to be lonely anymore, he's got a good home. and your bottles are sweet. i love do up bottles

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
Mr. Gris, major love for those old bottles from me! For whatever reason, I never find them at garage sales and even the resale shops mark them up to stupid amounts.

Today was my garage sale, which was a near-total bust. So many thefts that it left a bad taste in my mouth and reconsidering ever doing it again. Not a single Halloween-related sale, either. There was one bright spot, however. My family inherited the unsold items from a great-uncle's estate, and it turned out there was one small box left of unsorted stuff. Inside were four beautiful, tiny urns containing even tinier plastic roses. They are scaled perfectly for my little pet cemetary and best of all, free!

·
Registered
552 Posts
4 foot dual black light fixture, and lots of fluorescent paint to start painting with. Once the summer kicks in I will lock myself in my room and see what kind of creatures I can paint with some sleep deprivation inspiration. I just got done some highlighter sketches while under a black light, the best one will turn into a drop panel.

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
ghost of spooky, that lobster is too much. when it stands up to sing it is a riot. b u t, whoever picks their music? i think they should rig them so you can record your own sound. never seen anything like them before.
so gris, if a got a billy bones and took off the skin, are those bones whats under the skin? and is the skin hard to take off? and is it easy to unmount from the plaque? gris, nice pumpkins. see you got yourself some halloween blow molds finally. and that ghost don't have to be lonely anymore, he's got a good home. and your bottles are sweet. i love do up bottles

Yep Gemmy is known for their great music selection! Two years ago I bought one of their singing owls (head rotates, eyes blink, it hoots and then on the second trigger it sings "who can that be now" in an accent if I remember correctly). I would love it if they would spend some extra money and let you slip in a memory card or something like that. That or just give you some choice of tracks or no sound at all or darn with the owl just the hooting would be fine. Oh well gotta love them, gotta hate them. But they do come up with some funky stuff that is really memorable if nothing else.

BTW the Gemmy Big Mouth Billy Bones fish is one of many, many versions of fish they've done over the years. It was designed to be a skeleton fish if that answers one of your questions about it.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
thanks gospookie. i think if i see one i'm gonna grab it and pull the skin off and deplaque it. i really like the look of bobs hanging from a line. i wouldn't mind that lobster either. i have a giant grasshopper that just has red eyes that light up and a frog that just croaks. little touches like that are very noticed in haunts.

41 - 60 of 21093 Posts
About this Discussion
21.1K Replies
1.4K Participants
Momof2!
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing