Halloween Forum banner

21501 - 21514 of 21514 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked these guys up in a big Halloween lot purchase a few weekends ago...the lot also included an Animated Hex (w/original box), a Chest Splitting Zombie (w/original box), and a bunch of other misc decorations. I'm amazed at the condition they're in to say the least. The Latex Witch is in Mint condition with no rips, holes, tears, or dry rotting anywhere. The Demon Guard is in excellent condition with a few minor issues but nothing major.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You know what I would do? Get the radio working with an antenna, then get one of those low-watt transmitters and connect it to an mp3 player with a playlist of spooky sounds and/or spooky music and let it run! That would be so authentically spooky to hear the broadcast coming from the original speaker! 😎
That s a great idea ! I am fairly sure it would work as is. It was in great shape inside. And still has the original antennae wire and plug.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Took advantage of Spirit Halloween's halfway to halloween sale the other day and ordered their 6.5ft animated Deadly Roots tree (sale ends Fri. 5/8 a minute before midnight ET). It's on it's way to me already. It's listed as an online only item and has been something they've apparently sold that way for a few years, otherwise I would have waited and picked up in store.

So this was thanks to a spur of the moment peek on their website (prompted by someone here posting about a clown prop on Spirit), and some debating about it, but decided it would be the perfect addition for the haunted tree I got from Lowes(?) maybe two years ago. In addition I have tree faces with arms that I bought to make Sonotube trees, along with the animated talking tree face prop I bought from Spirit a few years back. I also have some spookie black trees made of grapevines that I will modify as they are kind of whimpy in their original state. Think these were bought years ago from either Target, Joann's or Big Lots. Maybe have 5-6 of those. I found I can extend their height by slipping them over some black ABS pipe and rewrapping the trunk area -- these were my very first halloween forest trees. So you can see my "forest" has been "growing" over the years! Set with tombstones, witches, pumpkins and lighting could be an easy set up for our front yard if I don't get to do my full yard dino theme this year (due to Covid restricting ToTing). Decorating for this year is really a tough call at this point but I want to do something if only to have it seen by people passing the house in their cars.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
I happen to have come into possession of a CRAP TON of old X-rays. At first I thought they were my MIL's from the last few years but it turns out they are x-rays& MRIs from very old cases that my FIL's law firm handled.

I don't feel the need to keep them all but some of them are pretty cool. I plan on keeping the cool ones, chopping off the private info that no one needs & recycling the rest.

Some of the MRIs look like crazy faces. I'm just bummed there aren't more skull x-rays. They're mostly hips, a few hands, with a few knees thrown in there.

I'm now off to google "how to recycle x-rays in MD."

·
Registered
220 Posts
Bought few inexpensive things:
- Lots Retro Solar LED Lantern Wall Lamp Pillar Light Garden Yard Patio Wall Light | eBay
^ Thinking about ripping out everything inside them and replace with brighter string lights. Also somehow frost them (less visible).
- Black & Orange Bunting Halloween Décor | Oriental Trading (29% off)

Halloween at Oriental Trading: The Halloween Store: 5,000+ Decorations, Handouts, Candy, Costumes, Craft Items

*Currently have up to 50% off Patriotic / 4th of July stuff if interested.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought a Flickering Flame Jack O' Lantern.. It has a cool mirror and flame effect inside. It was something different i've never seen before and was the last one so figured why not before someone else buys it?! I like the unusual and what other people don't have..

Here's a link to how it looks and works..

https://www.thegreenhead.com/link/flickering-flame-jack-o-lantern

And also had a couple of custom trick or treat lawn signs made for me.. Aged and old looking.. Very nice!

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
I purchased Deadly Roots animated tree prop from Spirit during their half way to halloween sale and it arrived yesterday via FedEx Smartpost so delivered by our post office. What's a halloween delivery without suspense and mystery, right?? Was on the tracking page all day for it and finally saw tracking say it was delivered and on our front porch. Of course it wasn't. 😡 I went checking houses we have had misdelivered packages delivered to and didn't see any boxes in front of doors. Of course the post office doesn't answer their phone (gone for the day) and the main postal site is useless for even reporting misdelivered packages. And it's only Saturday. Crap. We checked our security camera and saw a few minutes after the post office says it was delivered the mail truck driving past our house from down the road and around the corner.

Out of frustration asked my husband if he could drive to the one house we still thought it could be at (so much for having a halloween prop arriving without him being aware of it LOL!) and he graciously did although he grumbled about it's not even near halloween time and he didn't see how this had anything to do with dinosaurs. 🙄 While he was out searching and I was on the phone with him, the door bell rang and the husband and wife who live in the house he was at were bringing it to us. 😆 She said it was a pretty big heavy box. Thanked them profusely for taking the time to deliver it to me. So glad we have so many nice neighbors where we live.

Opened the box today to check if it had batteries in it (it did not, runs on AC adapter although an optional battery adapter is available--given how much movement it has you probably want to run it on AC anyway). This was the first time I had a large prop from Spirit shipped. They had free shipping but I had a $20 oversize fee charged (still not bad and the box is big and kind of heavy). Everything looks good. It came shipped in an outer shipping box but with the store box inside so was happy to have the original box. As is now standard operating procedure now with me, as I unbox, I take photos of each step removing something so I can go in reverse mode on reboxing and see where things should fit. Really does help. I wanted to set the tree up and try it out but short of time this weekend and probably won't get to it until much later. The stand and poles look to be constructed of a heavy metal steel which I was glad to see as he is pretty tall tall and leans and reaches forward. Be nice if I can have a plywood base and anchor the stand legs to it for even more stability as I do want to use him outdoors. So far pretty happy with him.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Just a warning that I have read that Deadly Roots has a design flaw and it is very common for issues with its mouth to cause the circuit board to burn out relatively quickly. Just what I have read. I have this prop but have never opened the box, largely because of the warning. Now that I am getting into fixing props, when I get around to it I will see if I can fix mine before I run it. Apparently there is some fix, maybe flipping the mouth motor upside down,don't know.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Just a warning that I have read that this Deadly Roots has a design flaw and it is very common for issues with its mouth to cause the circuit board to get relatively quickly. Just what I have read. I have this prop but have never opened the box, largely because of the warning. Now that I am getting into fixing props, when I get around to it I will see if I can fix mine before I run it. Apparently there is some fix, maybe flipping the mouth motor upside down,don't know.
When I was researching the prop and watching videos of it on YouTube, I saw a few of them about a fix although I wasn’t paying close attention to the whole thing but it was about the mouth and a component on the board/motor burning out causing the mouth to not work. Thanks for the reminder. I’ll check them out before using.

Update: Just watched the videos talking about the board and the mouth and they’re from 2017 and he said it was a rather rare issue. Also talked about his friend’s being from a store display that had heavy use. I Haven’t seen anything posted more recently. I’d like to think if it was a design issue it’s been since corrected in production. When did you buy your tree?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Saw a huge lot for sale on Craigslist yesterday evening. After briefly glancing over I saw one item that I had been looking for: the Animated Headless horseman that HD had last season!

Only hitch was: all or nothing..

So..

There was a few other animatronics,

The skeleton knight, the aforementioned headless horseman, Rocking chair witch, a giant 7 foot wolfman, and a 6’ skeleton horse.

Also a skeleton dog, cat and triceratops as well as numerous bat, spiders, witches and other decorations. I’ll probably try to recoup some of the cost (and keep from overwhelming my storage and my wife) by selling off some of the animated stuff, but the real score for me was the headless horseman!

At this point, I’m probably done buying major pieces for this year...

Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21501 - 21514 of 21514 Posts